Western Suburbs Magpies - Proposed Lidcombe Oval Long Term Lease

Western Suburbs Magpies is pursuing a long-term lease with Cumberland City Council for use of Lidcombe Oval.

As the Wests Magpies name can never come back into the NRL as a stand-alone Team name :cry: [and that's been known for many years by a few people] in place of Wests Tigers, I reckon it's time for the Mighty Magpies to now get together with Wests Tigers and play all their matches as a lead into the main game being WT.

As much as I and many others would Love to see the Magpies name back, it aint gonna happen, that bridge has been closed.
The Magpies as owners of WT, deserve to have their Heritage preserved as Western Suburbs Magpies, but in Reserve Grade only.
Wests Magpies, get your act together and get the hell out of Lidcombe Oval and go and join in playing with the big boys.

Wests Tigers display a Magpie on the sleeve of their jersey, Wests Magpies can therefore display a similar size Tiger on their jersey.

With Richo now running the show, 2024 Has to Be the Start of a New and Successful Fully Unified Era for Wests Tigers.

As the Wests Magpies name can never come back into the NRL as a stand-alone Team name :cry: [and that's been known for many years by a few people] in place of Wests Tigers, I reckon it's time for the Mighty Magpies to now get together with Wests Tigers and play all their matches as a lead into the main game being WT.

As much as I and many others would Love to see the Magpies name back, it aint gonna happen, that bridge has been closed.
The Magpies as owners of WT, deserve to have their Heritage preserved as Western Suburbs Magpies, but in Reserve Grade only.
Wests Magpies, get your act together and get the hell out of Lidcombe Oval and go and join in playing with the big boys.

Wests Tigers display a Magpie on the sleeve of their jersey, Wests Magpies can therefore display a similar size Tiger on their jersey.

With Richo now running the show, 2024 Has to Be the Start of a New and Successful Fully Unified Era for Wests Tigers.
should be one club in all grades, wests tigers that would symbol unity

This is Just a stupid idea. How can the club be talking about focusing on Campbelltown and then have Wests base themselves permanently in the inner west? It's delicate, but wests Ashfield and wests magpies need to align themselves with wests tigers' vision.

should be one club in all grades, wests tigers that would symbol unity
Don’t agree m, heaps of clubs have not played a reserve grade team under their firsts banner. Balmain got the bigger piece of the pie in that everyone calls us the tigers, rarely they even mention wests! So given the massive history of both our foundation clubs, I don’t think it’s much of an issue to throw the magpies a bone. After all they pay all the bills!

This is Just a stupid idea. How can the club be talking about focusing on Campbelltown and then have Wests base themselves permanently in the inner west? It's delicate, but wests Ashfield and wests magpies need to align themselves with wests tigers' vision.

Who said Wests Tigers' vision includes being
solely based in Campbelltown? We're Wests
Tigers - that happens to include the inner west
as well as south west. KOE cup reserve grade
side needs to play under the Wests Tigers name,
but I get the sense they want to appease the
Magpies die-hards as a token gesture, giving
them a team to support based at their spiritual
ground in Lidcombe. I don't think it's smart but
I understand it to a degree. We're lucky to have
2 teams in junior grades both Balmain & Wests.
It can be argued we should unify all grades under
the Wests Tigers banner but by doing that we
could lose a fair bit of talent as well. I dunno

Don’t agree m, heaps of clubs have not played a reserve grade team under their firsts banner.
Seems almost every year that argument carries less weight with the Roosters, Dragons, Parra, South’s, Raiders, Warriors, Knights, Manly (to a point)
all now aligning their reserve grade teams in recent years.
About the only one not to is us and the Sharks…

Seems almost every year that argument carries less weight with the Roosters, Dragons, Parra, South’s, Raiders, Warriors, Knights, Manly (to a point)
all now aligning their reserve grade teams in recent years.
About the only one not to is us and the Sharks…
Yes but that’s only been relatively recent years. If there’s a competition on tv then fine change.
The other teams apart from the drag queens have No merged entity and yet a lot of them flew under other banners. U can’t always compare, dragons was a take over and our merger was 50/50 until Balmain became non financial. Yet retaining the dominant naming the ‘tigers’!
In the NFL the ‘mascot name’ is more dominant. They change the city/state regularly but alway keep the mascot name, hence being more dominant.
At the end of the day I don’t care that much about it. But understand that the magpies side might want something to pay homage, as they pay all the bills.

Yes but that’s only been relatively recent years. If there’s a competition on tv then fine change.
The other teams apart from the drag queens have No merged entity and yet a lot of them flew under other banners. U can’t always compare, dragons was a take over and our merger was 50/50 until Balmain became non financial. Yet retaining the dominant naming the ‘tigers’!
In the NFL the ‘mascot name’ is more dominant. They change the city/state regularly but alway keep the mascot name, hence being more dominant.
At the end of the day I don’t care that much about it. But understand that the magpies side might want something to pay homage, as they pay all the bills.

The NRL pay almost ALL of the bills but it is true the Wests Leagues pay the majority of the rest.I hope one day the club is self sufficient for the part that Wests Leagues pay,i am fine with HBG owning the club but we should be WT above the juniors

Thats not quite right as i'm sure you know. It was part of the JV agreement that both foundation clubs would keep their identity in a lower tier competition. Yet people on here still bag Wests for sticking to that agreement. I'm not saying its right or wrong and personally i would prefer WT through all grades but how about we actually stick to the facts as to why Wests Magpies exist rather than just make crap up.

in the ladder from nrl we are the only team always referred to as wests tigers when displaying by mascots
St george as example are dragons
would like wests tigers as reserve grade team maybe one day it will happen
however minor issues let's get the Tigers making semi finals first

Ok one area of the media does that. Everyone refers to us as the tigers. Rarely wests, rarely.

Reactions: BZN
Thats not quite right as i'm sure you know. It was part of the JV agreement that both foundation clubs would keep their identity in a lower tier competition. Yet people on here still bag Wests for sticking to that agreement. I'm not saying its right or wrong and personally i would prefer WT through all grades but how about we actually stick to the facts as to why Wests Magpies exist rather than just make crap up.

Wasn't trying to be funny.. I mentioned that I
understand why to a degree, I don't think it's
some sort of conspiracy DP. At the end of the
day Wests have bankrolled the whole joint
venture so I don't mind, I like the Magpies but
would much prefer WT through all grades as
you mentioned. Balmain & Wests have preserved
their identities through lower grades thankfully

I remember back in the day as a balmain member going to a meeting where the parramatta Ellsworth ward to merge, Fitzgerald had printed Parramatta Tigers hats all they wanted was the mascot.
Thankfully we merged with wests magpies

I could never have accepted the merge with either Parra or Souths(2 despicable clubs)Wests was fine as would have been Norths but that would probably have involved a move to the central coast.Illawarra would also have been acceptable but that was always very unlikely

I could never have accepted the merge with either Parra or Souths(2 despicable clubs)Wests was fine as would have been Norths but that would probably have involved a move to the central coast.Illawarra would also have been acceptable but that was always very unlikely
totally agree

I never said solely. But if the Wests magpies sign a long term deal to play almost exclusively in the inner west then that defies the strategy of trying to increase our representation in the west.
Wests Ashfield and Wests Campbelltown need to find a way to work together

The comp is televised - reckon it will go back to what it once was (tv wise) with the push to have all grades on game day…

Reserve Grade is reserve grade - I’ve always followed whoever they were (and both when we had 2 sides - that’s where some of my favourite players were)

I also understand Wests wanting some bang for their buck - but they’ve also changed their name to the Holman Barnes group recently seemingly distancing the Wests Magpies banner from the JV further, which I feel negates that argument somewhat…

I’ve always said that common branding from the top to the bottom should be the foundation of the club - nothing else makes sense to me from any point of view you could muster… I still stand by that.

I’m quite close with a player who played junior reps in the women’s comp through to TG…
When she told me who she played for, she was beaming to claim playing for
Wests Tigers!!
Mounties, Wenty Magpies etc. just doesn’t carry any clout!!
Not every punter knows all the affiliated clubs coming through the grades - every punter knows the Wests Tigers…
A Branding No Brainer for mine, also reckon Richo mentioned something similar recently…

Latest posts

Back