OFFICIAL Michael Maguire to coach NSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arrogance ? Lol ? Youre calling people arrogant ? Holy shit thats ironic . If you don’t have a personality disorder , then I’m not sitting here .
And just for clarity’s sake , because I’m not replying after this , did Madge have to make lemonade from lemons ? Of course . But he was on a mil a year, and promised he could deliver . So I have no sympathy because as I said , ultimately it’s his team he created , and it’s his neck in the noose . Especially the back end of 21 and 22 , because the team quit on him well before he was fired .
We will see how 24 goes to really comment on 23 . But I’ve stated my opinion on that . Neither of us can speak in absolutes really about 23 . But I know for a fact Benji didn’t have final say on many decisions so I can’t/ won’t hold him accountable, because of what percentage did he get his way . 70% 40 % 90% ? Who knows . But it’s not 💯 than I won’t blame him.
I won’t jump to outrageous conclusions like … well you !
…he says in an extremely arrogant tone 🤣🤣🤣

He was here ages , and meh coaches with worse talent have done more . Wayne Bennett is hardly the smartest football mind in the world , but he engages his team , find ways to get his message across , and surrounds himself with staff that lift him and the team up.
Madge spent the last few years with guys he knew wouldn’t undermine him , or guys he didn’t want there because of the first statement .
I just don’t see how he’s not the one with the ultimate accountability . And he was because he doesn’t have a job here anymore .
Depends what you define as ages. He was here literally until the majority of the bad contracts ended and punted as soon as we got some cap space and a couple of key signings. Signings that he attracted to the club.

Could you provide an example of a coach doing more with worse talent?

Upon reflection I don't think he was the right person for the position when he was appointed. A playing group that is hurting after being abandoned by the coach that had just recently brought a lot of them to the club probably doesn't need the intensity of a MaGuire. This is probably when "players coach" personality is probably needed.
Ironically at the time he was punted I think he was the right personality type for the squad we were building.

Depends what you define as ages. He was here literally until the majority of the bad contracts ended and punted as soon as we got some cap space and a couple of key signings. Signings that he attracted to the club.

Upon reflection I don't think he was the right person for the position when he was appointed. A playing group that is hurting after being abandoned by the coach that had just recently brought a lot of them to the club probably doesn't need the intensity of a MaGuire. This is probably when "players coach" personality is probably needed.
Ironically at the time he was punted I think he was the right personality type for the squad we were building.
Depends how far back you want to go .
but just for recency , look no further than the dolphins. i Think the over/under for most bookies was 3 wins .
But there’s been heaps including our 05 grand final win . that Was all coaching . But I agree with you . head coach who is a man manger seems to be the best way to do it in 23. Then clever assistants underneath .

Reactions: BZN
The Wests Tigers 23 squad isn't the worst.

We just have poor halves and poor coaching.

We needed a very very simple game plan based on a strong forward pack with no razzle dazzle, couldn't even get that right.
Was backed to run second last and ran last. In woodsy’s famous words it is what it is.

It was Benji selling the hot potato style in the media? It was Benji on the park training with the team. Sheens was like the voice, he had no power and was only advising.
This is a fundamental flaw in WT culture. Always looking for a patsy. And it’s always the last guy to leave.
I read someone stated Maguire took us to the spoon. Very unfair seeing he wasn’t with us to receive the award.
Funny that the poor results continue, same as the blame game.
The MacArthur Scapegoats is the brand change being tossed around in the review meetings.

He did the job Nathan Brown did at Newcastle. Doomed from day dot.

but just for recency , look no further than the dolphins. i Think the over/under for most bookies was 3 wins .
But there’s been heaps including our 05 grand final win . that Was all coaching . But I agree with you . head coach who is a man manger seems to be the best way to do it in 23. Then clever assistants underneath .
Dolphins probably slightly over achieved. But their starting pack was:

Bromwich NZ rep
Marshall NZ rep
Wallace former Qld rep (admittedly well past what he was)
Kaufusi Qld rep
Bromwich NZ rep
Gilbert Qld rep.

Madge could only wish the Tigers had that kind of talent for him to work with in his time here.

And, no you don't agree. We did need a man manager to overcome the outside noise that would have been plaguing our team the last few years.
Now that we are getting some talent in the door and should have cap space moving forward to attract more I think we will be needing the strict disciplinarian that will squeeze every drop of juice out of that talent. I understand that wears thin with players and shouldn't always be a long term approach but the elite players are typically also the hardest workers and will (at least in the short term) respond to that.

He was here ages , and meh coaches with worse talent have done more . Wayne Bennett is hardly the smartest football mind in the world , but he engages his team , find ways to get his message across , and surrounds himself with staff that lift him and the team up.
Madge spent the last few years with guys he knew wouldn’t undermine him , or guys he didn’t want there because of the first statement .
I just don’t see how he’s not the one with the ultimate accountability . And he was because he doesn’t have a job here anymore .
Every coach brings in their own coaching team that they know they can work with to do otherwise would be just idiotic. His off sider - whom we moved on with Maguire - now sits beside Ivan Cleary and is coaching the Samoan team - certainly a coach on the rise as identified by Maguire.

Bromwich NZ rep
Marshall NZ rep
Kaufusi Qld rep
Bromwich NZ rep
Gilbert Qld rep.

Madge could only wish the Tigers had that kind of talent for him to work with in his time here.
The Hammer alone would improve our squad significantly...

I'm worried as a NSW fan. Bloke is a horrible bench manager as shown when he blew it with NZ at the WC last year (where alot of ex kiwis bagged Madges coaching).

He also has no origin experience so doesn't have that advantage of "getting it". Should have been Geoff Toovey all day

would it be funny to see him succeed and make this club look like the poisoned stain that it appears to be on every player and coaches career.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least rep footy doesn't have that daily grind. It's easy to imagine players getting jack of Madge's carry-on. Some of those guys must have sat through dozens of sprays :LOL:.

At that stage his sprays would just be an irritation. Coach sprays should be like a Phantom Agent's gun - only used as a last resort.

Who knows, maybe rep footy will be Madge's thing? The risk is he can be dodgy with his bench like Fittler and Meninga, and he's not as smart as Slater.

Get the 🍿 ready.

I wouldn't take too much out of the recent pacific games.

I'm worried as a NSW fan. Bloke is a horrible bench manager as shown when he blew it with NZ at the WC last year (where alot of ex kiwis bagged Madges coaching).

He also has no origin experience so doesn't have that advantage of "getting it". Should have been Geoff Toovey all day
Geoff Toovey would have been a better choice for sure

Bromwich NZ rep
Marshall NZ rep
Kaufusi Qld rep
Bromwich NZ rep
Gilbert Qld rep.

Cracks me up when I continually read here how dominant our pack is,
The above pack would best ours, And no one rated the Dolphins....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back