Who here actually supports Western Suburbs in the KOE NSW Cup?

The club is fragmented and the fan base is also likely to have some fragmentation .
The following titles surround the club
Balmain ,Western Suburbs ,Tigers ,Magpies ,Leichardt ,Ashfield ,Campbelltown ,Lidcombe
A basic rule of marketing is maximise brand recognition thru one name !
Difficult to say what we represent ?
Or put another way Stevec,
“undiluted focus is the secret of the supersuccessful”
Like your comments.

Don’t disagree with you, in principle, but surely the time has come for ALL teams to be called Wests Tigers, that is at least the very starting point.
Perpetuating Magpies, Balmain etc etc is ridiculous and it’s either “one team, one dream” or none at all.
But let’s say our friend lives in Newtown and likes the fact that Henson Park is nearby, where he can go and have an enjoyable day watching the local team, isn’t that ok as well ?
I’ve been a Tigers supporter forever, but I know people who live in Newtown who love to go to the local footy, and I would as well. That doesn’t make me any the less of a Tigers supporter, it’s just a question of locality.
If I lived in the Lidcombe area Id think the same, as far as attending.
But in my heart, and wherever I am( I now live in Melbourne) I’m always first and foremost a Tigers supporter.
Just a thought Hb61.

Is it maybe a bit easier, or even a lot easier, for Balmain supporters to let go of Balmain 'Tigers' and say we should all be Wests 'Tigers'.
Our jersey is the colour of a Tiger with not even the slightest hint of the traditional Magpies black and white jersey. And how many times do journos refer to us as the Tigers and still after 23 years our colours are black and gold.
Also, I reckon most supporters would know and call their team as Tigers, Roosters, Fins, Sharks and have that particular animal representation on their t-shirts etc.
But there is no 'Magpie' anymore apart from the 'token' Magpie on our Jerseys, and a football team that has been relegated to reserve grade.

I imagine how a lot of Magpie supporters must feel, particularly the older ones [like me] seeing the Magpie basically being obliterated from history.

I live in the Port Macquarie area and havent been to any Magpies games this year, but I did attend one match at Lidcombe Oval last year, and I will certainly go again if I am in the area, so yes, I follow Western Suburbs in the KOE Cup.

Just a thought Hb61.

Is it maybe a bit easier, or even a lot easier, for Balmain supporters to let go of Balmain 'Tigers' and say we should all be Wests 'Tigers'.
Our jersey is the colour of a Tiger with not even the slightest hint of the traditional Magpies black and white jersey. And how many times do journos refer to us as the Tigers and still after 23 years our colours are black and gold.
Also, I reckon most supporters would know and call their team as Tigers, Roosters, Fins, Sharks and have that particular animal representation on their t-shirts etc.
But there is no 'Magpie' anymore apart from the 'token' Magpie on our Jerseys, and a football team that has been relegated to reserve grade.

I imagine how a lot of Magpie supporters must feel, particularly the older ones [like me] seeing the Magpie basically being obliterated from history.

I live in the Port Macquarie area and havent been to any Magpies games this year, but I did attend one match at Lidcombe Oval last year, and I will certainly go again if I am in the area, so yes, I follow Western Suburbs in the KOE Cup.
Can see your points BZN and agree, to a point, but my attitude is if we’re called the Wests Tigers then that’s what we are, if we were called the Wests Magpies, wouldn’t make any difference to me.
Let’s just be Wests then, inner or outer, and take your pick. I only refer to the Tigers, no longer in a Balmain sense, but just as who we are.
I don't know the definitive answer to your concerns, but happy you are a Western Suburbs fan in COE. But would you still be if they became the Wests Tigers COE ?

What about the "ADVANCE AUSTRALIA" sticker on the KB Monster arm wrestling machine.

Suppose that means it was made here and not in China lol.

• Love
Reactions: BZN
I'm interested in their results and want them to do well since they're an important feeder team for the WT. Not sure I'd call myself a fan, they're not my club, but at the same time I'm not going to seek out another team in a comp I really don't care that much about. I'm happy when Wests Magpies do well in any comp since it's beneficial for the Wests Tigers.

Just a thought Hb61.

I don't want to get into an argument but I don't think that's a reasonable argument. That's the main jersey below. There's very little orange...

As for the rest, I think you underplay what Balmain fans lost. I don't think it was necessarily easier or harder compared to ex-Magpies. As it is now, the Balmain name has disappeared past SG Ball. Rebel_65341101_black_hi-res.jpg

Some very well thought answers to my questions, thank you Tiger family.

For me, I've only ever known Wests Tigers as the one club. I'm not from Sydney so I have no care for the location of the club, I barrack for them because I am a lover of Tigers (Same for my support for Richmond in the AFL).

Most people my age are probably in the same boat, and have only known the Tigers NRL as Wests Tigers without thinking too much about the history of Balmain and WS Magpies.

I guess all of you support the Magpies purely because they are the feeder for Wests Tigers, and I think I'll therefore make that my reason too.

I think we're unique as a club to cheer on a different mascot in the 2nd grade. I barrack for the Tiger-themed teams in the NRL, NFL, CFL, and Super League, so having the Magpies as a team can be quite refreshing.

It would be interesting to hear from old school Magpie fans who are diehard, how many of them are left? Is it worth buying membership/seeing a game?

Obviously the magpies come first as they’re part of the club I support and stupidly put way too much time and energy into every week. I definitely also follow the Bears as a second team though, something which I definitely would not dare do in the nrl (have a second team). Nostalgia and locality both come into it and I love to see them do well too - a day out at bear park is the only thing even in the same league as a Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt.

Just a thought Hb61.

take a look at nrl.com ladder we are the only team to be referred to by full name wests tigers. Every other team is called Panthers dragons Eels etc.
Club should just make all grades wests tigers with a bigger Magpie on the sleeve or something like that.

Some very well thought answers to my questions, thank you Tiger family.

For me, I've only ever known Wests Tigers as the one club. I'm not from Sydney so I have no care for the location of the club, I barrack for them because I am a lover of Tigers (Same for my support for Richmond in the AFL).

Most people my age are probably in the same boat, and have only known the Tigers NRL as Wests Tigers without thinking too much about the history of Balmain and WS Magpies.

I guess all of you support the Magpies purely because they are the feeder for Wests Tigers, and I think I'll therefore make that my reason too.

I think we're unique as a club to cheer on a different mascot in the 2nd grade. I barrack for the Tiger-themed teams in the NRL, NFL, CFL, and Super League, so having the Magpies as a team can be quite refreshing.

It would be interesting to hear from old school Magpie fans who are diehard, how many of them are left? Is it worth buying membership/seeing a game?
There's not many of us left.I barrack for the newcastle magpies in soccer and Collingwood magpies in afl but my main support is for the weststigers

take a look at nrl.com ladder we are the only team to be referred to by full name wests tigers. Every other team is called Panthers dragons Eels etc.
Club should just make all grades wests tigers with a bigger Magpie on the sleeve or something like that.
I’ve often wondered if the magpie could be part of the Tiger. If anyone has seen the book the waterhole will know what I mean. Don’t know the artist name but it really is excellent

• Love
Reactions: BZN
I’ve often wondered if the magpie could be part of the Tiger. If anyone has seen the book the waterhole will know what I mean. Don’t know the artist name but it really is excellent
I just had a quick look at the book on Booktopia, and it looks amazing.
And the author Graeme Base is an award-winning Aussie :D.
How good is that.

I just had a quick look at the book on Booktopia, and it looks amazing.
And the author Graeme Base is an award-winning Aussie :D.
How good is that.
Yes that’s him
The kids had a couple of books by him
Apparently he’s done a mural on a wall somewhere aswell
Note at the top and bottom of the page is pictures of animals that are all hidden in the picture

Last edited:
I don't want to get into an argument but I don't think that's a reasonable argument. That's the main jersey below. There's very little orange...

As for the rest, I think you underplay what Balmain fans lost. I don't think it was necessarily easier or harder compared to ex-Magpies. As it is now, the Balmain name has disappeared past SG Ball. View attachment 6256
They didn't lose anything through the joint venture. They were given the same "rights" as the magpies. What balmain lost was through their own poor management and greed of certain parties.

They didn't lose anything through the joint venture. They were given the same "rights" as the magpies. What balmain lost was through their own poor management and greed of certain parties.
Respectfully they did. Both clubs gave up part of their identity through the JV process. That's the point.

Both Wests and Balmain won, because they remain in the top grade through the JV.

We are the Brisbane Lions of the NRL (Can't think of any other relevant example)

Back