Which team will get the 18th Franchise

If the NRL actually policed the salary cap fairly and equally it would be a far different competition table each year but the rorters and the donkeys in particular would not like that.Too much influence from certain clubs in the NRL
NFL also publishes player salaries. And teams routinely go from last to first in their division. One of the reasons the league is basically printing money.

They have the right balance between dynasties and fairytales.

Last edited:
In reading all the ideas about 20 teams and while some are imaginative the phrase that comes to mind
" if it ain't broke don't fix it "
So you enjoy the same top six every fkn year , must be a premier league fan too

So you enjoy the same top six every fkn year , must be a premier league fan too
Get your point but don't want 4 pools of 5 teams etc .I fact I always supported the draft and it works in NFL ,AFL and the IPL is exciting .
Ps yes I am a Liverpool fan but not as a fanatic .The only teams I fanatically support are Wests Tigers and our Aussie cricket side

Get your point but don't want 4 pools of 5 teams etc .I fact I always supported the draft and it works in NFL ,AFL and the IPL is exciting .
Ps yes I am a Liverpool fan but not as a fanatic .The only teams I fanatically support are Wests Tigers and our Aussie cricket side
Yeah I think Gus has discussed a two conference system before where you play your own conference twice and the other conference once. YNWA

Well after watching the love in between Albo and Marape ( PNG PM) today in Canberra, even Albo was talking up a PNG team in the NRL.
And they presented him with a QLD SOO jersey. I’d say it’s a done deal !

So your four conference chamions....

Those 4 play off.... 2 remain for the GF?
Winner =premiers
Nope, the 4 conference winners would be considered minor premiers in there own conference.... they would go on to play finals with the other 6 finalists, but like the current finals set up would have home ground advantages and second chances if they were to lose first round...

Actually I have the same sort of idea....

20 teams, 4 conferences, 5 teams in each conference...

Top 2 from each conference makes it into the finals, meaning top 8.... but then the top 4 from all remainig teams play a knock out match and two advance to the finals to make it a top 10 for the finals, that way finals will see half the comp make the top 10....

Each conference plays for there own individual trophy, say named after an immortal....

All teams play each other once, 19 games, and all have one bye each....

Conferences can be drawn from a barrel start of every year, that way no two seasons are the same, and no one can complain about being in an uneven conference since you compete against someone different every year...
You need the division rivalries mate . The AFC north in nfl is a bloodbath at the moment . The worst team this year in that division , made the last 2 afc conference games (bengals) . The NFL have the right idea with that . Top team goes through , and the rest play off for the remaining 3 wild card slots . It does sometimes lead to things like the nfc south winner barely winning half thier games .
You can’t mix and match , if they did that , the divisions would have to be set . The schedule would be what would change . Ie. you play your own division twice , and 2 of the other divions twice , and the other 1 once .
I think 2 x 10 team conference is the best model . But I don’t think it’s fair for the Sydney teams to get the right to play each other twice in one conference . A imaginary line halfway between Sydney would be the most fair outcome , so out of town teams can come over and play 2-3 week road trips to limit travel costs and overheads .
I think the 3 teams should be Adelaide , Christchurch and another qld team .
I think if it did happen the 3 teams would be PNG , Perth and another nz team . And I’ve stated before I have extreme concerns about the long term viability of a png franchise .

Last edited:
You need the division rivalries mate . The AFC north in nfl is a bloodbath at the moment . The worst team this year in that division , made the last 2 afc conference games (bengals) . The NFL have the right idea with that . Top team goes through , and the rest play off for the remaining 3 wild card slots . It does sometimes lead to things like the nfc south winner barely winning half thier games .
You can’t mix and match , if they did that , the divisions would have to be set . The schedule would be what would change . Ie. you play your own division twice , and 2 of the other divions twice , and the other 1 once .
I think 2 x 10 team conference is the best model . But I don’t think it’s fair for the Sydney teams to get the right to play each other twice in one conference . A imaginary line halfway between Sydney would be the most fair outcome , so out of town teams can come over and play 2-3 week road trips to limit travel costs and overheads .
I think the 3 teams should be Adelaide , Christchurch and another qld team .
I think if it did happen the 3 teams would be PNG , Perth and another nz team . And I’ve stated before I have extreme concerns about the long term viability of a png franchise .
I understand your thinking (being a bengals fan myself) but could you imagine if the conferences stayed the same every year, imagine if you had say storm, panthers and roosters in the same conference every year, that would be unfair on some of the lesser teams.... that's why I find a different mixed up conference every year would be interesting.... teams being able to win different conference titles every year, not just having there name plastered on the same trophy every year...

I understand your thinking (being a bengals fan myself) but could you imagine if the conferences stayed the same every year, imagine if you had say storm, panthers and roosters in the same conference every year, that would be unfair on some of the lesser teams.... that's why I find a different mixed up conference every year would be interesting.... teams being able to win different conference titles every year, not just having there name plastered on the same trophy every year...
They won’t stay up forever . The roosters slide is beginning now IMO. They won’t drop to the bottom , but they won’t/ arnt a finals contender anymore . They just have a lot of names in the team . The panthers might slide as well. The storm are the biggest anomaly in Aus sports IMO. But once Bellamy retires , they could slide big time . People forget , even with graham Murray at the helm prior to Bellamy , who was a great coach , they were a mid table team . Nothing lasts forever , and IMHO , the storm had a whole generational advantage brought on by rorting the cap and winning everything . And I don’t want to hear the “well they were our players” because that’s not a true story. They paid mass overs for 16/17/18 year olds like Hoffman , Inglis etc , where other clubs couldn’t compete . They were never the storms juniors .

Interesting, but I'm not sure if the NRL would have that much sway with Qantas. From I've read, if there is a PNG team they'll be playing out of far north Queensland and there won't be a decision for the 18th team until 2027.

Although anything is possible.

Interesting, but I'm not sure if the NRL would have that much sway with Qantas. From I've read, if there is a PNG team they'll be playing out of far north Queensland and there won't be a decision for the 18th team until 2027.

They're saying there will be a decision this year.

I thought they were to be based in Cairns but play home games in PNG. Given there is already a POM/Cairns flight this new schedule would be the perfect adjunct for visiting teams.

They won’t stay up forever . The roosters slide is beginning now IMO. They won’t drop to the bottom , but they won’t/ arnt a finals contender anymore . They just have a lot of names in the team . The panthers might slide as well. The storm are the biggest anomaly in Aus sports IMO. But once Bellamy retires , they could slide big time . People forget , even with graham Murray at the helm prior to Bellamy , who was a great coach , they were a mid table team . Nothing lasts forever , and IMHO , the storm had a whole generational advantage brought on by rorting the cap and winning everything . And I don’t want to hear the “well they were our players” because that’s not a true story. They paid mass overs for 16/17/18 year olds like Hoffman , Inglis etc , where other clubs couldn’t compete . They were never the storms juniors .
@Tucker whats funny ? The roosters got lapped by the riff , and haven’t shown anything to say they’re contenders . The storm won’t slide until Bellamy retires … and I said maybe about the riff …. But I wasn’t confident …
Weren’t we gonna suck this year ? Oracle of football….

@Tucker whats funny ? The roosters got lapped by the riff , and haven’t shown anything to say they’re contenders . The storm won’t slide until Bellamy retires … and I said maybe about the riff …. But I wasn’t confident …
Weren’t we gonna suck this year ? Oracle of football….
Whats funny?
Your lack of football knowledge.

Whats funny?
Your lack of football knowledge.
lol your a joke ! You ridicule anyone else for having an opinion yet yours are utter tripe , and reactionary nonsense , regurgitating nrl groupthink ….
This current roosters side is a no go ! Thier two best players are leaving / retiring , thier coach doesn’t have the same presence/ gravitas as he did 3-4 years ago , and they will lose steam . They won’t bottom out like us , because our shitty admin let us , but their window has closed .
Laugh all you want … here’s a @Tucker original thought “ tIgErS SucK ! BeNJi CaNt CoAcH” .
What’s your idea ? The best teams will be the best forever ? Lol … you might as well quote 360 , it’s about the same quality of insight …
Wait sorry I forgot here’s another @Tucker special “pussy” …. “Coward” … lol you’re a dribbler without an original thought in your head !

Graham Murray never coached the Storm. You are thinking of Mark Murray

Back