Sam Kerr Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Churchill

Matildas captain Sam Kerr charged over alleged racially aggravated harassment of police officer​

• In short: Australian women's soccer captain Sam Kerr has been charged over allegedly racially aggravated harassment of a police officer.
  • The Metropolitan Police said she was given a court summons on January 21.
  • What's next? British media reports Kerr is set to face trial in 2025.
Matildas captain Sam Kerr has been charged over alleged racially aggravated harassment of a police officer in London early last year.

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said Kerr was given a court summons on January 21.

"The charge relates to an incident involving a police officer who was responding to a complaint involving a taxi fare on January 30, 2023 in Twickenham," the spokesperson said.

Kerr appeared in court in London on Monday, where British media is reporting she pleaded not guilty, and is set to face a trial in February 2025.

The 30-year-old is among the biggest names in Australian sport, and overcame a calf injury to dazzle at last year's World Cup.

She plays for Chelsea in England's Women's Super League, but is sidelined with a knee injury.

Kerr's Australian-based manager Niki White declined to comment.

The Perth-born striker has scored 58 goals for Chelsea in the WSL where she's played since 2020 after stints in Australia and the US.

She's found the back of the net 69 times in 128 games for the Matildas.

In a statement, the sport's governing body Football Australia said it was aware of the legal proceedings.

"As this is an ongoing legal matter, we are unable to provide further comment at this time. Our focus remains on supporting all our players, both on and off the field. We will continue to monitor the situation and provide support as appropriate."

Not sure of this is relevant to your comment but, if someone called me a “stupid white bastard”, I’d be most offended by “stupid”, only very slightly offended by “bastard” and not at all offended by “white”.
My point is this isn’t deemed as bad as a coloured person calling another a monkey. Racism is either present in both or neither.

Current year, sport should have zero tolerance of racism. Spencer Leniu should have his contract torn up.

While it didn't occur on the field, Sam Kerr has been exposed as a racist vile human.

You were implying I don’t think that what she said was wrong? Why?
Not you specifically or at all, just adding a general comment to yours.
I have found it interesting the way the media and many commentators are keen to forgive her words whilst condemning his

The double standards are appalling.
Social media and now NSW minsters are propping up Kerr. The ground swell opinion is she is now more likeable for spewing in a taxi, then fighting with the driver before racially abusing a copper then she was previously. You can’t be racist to white people…High profile people are actually praising her online!
Pathetic the way Australia chooses what’s acceptable and what isn’t based on popularity alone.

The double standards are appalling.
Social media and now NSW minsters are propping up Kerr. The ground swell opinion is she is now more likeable for spewing in a taxi, then fighting with the driver before racially abusing a copper then she was previously. You can’t be racist to white people…High profile people are actually praising her online!
Pathetic the way Australia chooses what’s acceptable and what isn’t based on popularity alone.
Yeh as someone who was quick to slam Leniu for what he did it's pathetic that Kerr is getting a free pass here... i've seen the excuse that "White people aren't oppressed so therefore it's not racist" come up a lot lol

Current year, sport should have zero tolerance of racism. Spencer Leniu should have his contract torn up.

While it didn't occur on the field, Sam Kerr has been exposed as a racist vile human.
We always hear "Bringing the game into disrepute"

I think what Spencer did, on a stage like that - in America, of all places, where the NRL invested so much into.... is as much disrepute one could imagine.

I'm not sure how they handle with this situation but I think a statement should be made.

Saw the 360 nerds saying 6 to 8, 10 to 12... think they've gotta come down hard

Interesting everyone cheering Sam Kerr on about calling the cop a stupid white bastard, yet Spencer Leniu is staring down the barrel of a heavy suspension.

Soccer seems to have a conflicting moral stance. Maybe just the women's game?

Interesting everyone cheering Sam Kerr on about calling the cop a stupid white bastard, yet Spencer Leniu is staring down the barrel of a heavy suspension.

Soccer seems to have a conflicting moral stance. Maybe just the women's game?

Nah

Could you imagine the absolute volcanic eruptions if Sam was a white guy who called someone a stupid black bastard...... WW3

Anyway, everyone knows you can't be racist against white people s/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back