Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers

@momo_amp_medo said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1511009) said:
@gnr4life said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510905) said:
@momo_amp_medo said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510904) said:
@gnr4life said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510865) said:
If they are both that good, I doubt the Cows would be willing to give one of them up just for the sake of getting Luc a year early. Wouldn’t be very good business.

Unlike the tigers huh?

We’ve been doing pretty good business lately.

I was making a comparison on our Laurie MomoTrade.
That was not good business.

It was as so far as the First grade coach didn't rate him as a priority. Whether Madge's opinion of Momo was correct is for debate, but the club trading what was deemed a reserve centre for their first choice FB is great business

@the_third said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1511063) said:
@merlot said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1511060) said:
its official,the Cows r now dumber then we used 2b

and so are the eels

I hope the Eels implode in 2022...would love to see our "mate" Moses cry in the sheds again

@tigerap said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1511082) said:
@the_third said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1511063) said:
@merlot said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1511060) said:
its official,the Cows r now dumber then we used 2b

and so are the eels

I hope the Eels implode in 2022...would love to see our "mate" Moses cry in the sheds again

him and Gutho. the "king" must be wondering why he signed on and Moses is probably half way out the door

@elderslie_tiger said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510770) said:
The Wests Tigers will push North Queensland for a swap deal with one of their young gun backrowers if the Cowboys want Luciano Leilua released for 2022.

The Cowboys landed the shock signing of Leilua on a three-year deal worth around the $2.1 million on Wednesday but the Tigers will only release the backrower if both clubs can negotiate a fair and reasonable outcome.

North Queensland have two of the best emerging backrowers in the NRL in the form of Helium Luki and Jeremiah Nanai and the Tigers have already begun the process of trying to land one

Luki, 20, stands 195cms and impressed in 11 NRL matches last year when Cowboys coach Todd Payten opted to blood the generation next of talent in North Queensland.

The Tigers aren’t the only rival club eyeing Luki after the rookie backrower impressed with his first foray into the NRL.

Aside from his obvious traits of size, speed and athleticism, Luki made good judges sit up with an effort play against the New Zealand Warriors last season when he chased down a runaway Reece Walsh in a brilliant cover

Nanai, 18, is considered one of the best emerging talents in the game after making his NRL debut last year.

The rookie was included in the Cowboys NRL squad at the end of 2020 aged 17 and was rewarded with four NRL matches last year.

This is where the Cowboys signing of Leilua gets curious.

After missing out on Viliame Kikau North Queensland still had money to invest in a backrower for 2023 but have they really nailed a brilliant deal in paying Leilua $700,000-a-season?

Wests Tigers were only prepared to offer Leilua a contract worth around the $500,000-a-season mark.

Even more so if it costs them one of their rookie emerging backrowers in Luki or Nanai?

The Cowboys went down a similar path last year when they blew the Sharks out of the water by offering halfback Chad Townsend a three-year deal worth $2.1 million midway through last season.

They also signed another half in Tom Dearden - which led to Jake Clifford departing for Newcastle.

As much as Townsend, 30, and Leilua are solid NRL players there’s a view North Queensland have paid too much for both recruits.

It will now be up to coach Todd Payten to make it

Ooooh
This is so Dangerous for us.

Todd Payten will be watching his Players. In North Queensland they are isolated and their behaviour can be contained.
All Todd has to do is let us buy the player he does not want in:
" Helium Luki and Jeremiah Nanai"

Players can run riot up there. The team knows the community and they know who's going to play well and who is not going to develop well.

Now Hopefully we get some good talent coming our way. Clearly both players are young promising Juniors. Still they are Juniors. Up for signing them but we have to be ready to train them well. So far our club hasn't been great at a Junior factory.

@bagnf05 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1511061) said:
@hank37w said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510881) said:
@tigerap said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1510458) said:
He can mow the lawn on the hill for 2022….

Better make it a slow track so he can keep up.

I’m tipping even the lawn mower would break away from Luc

Damn those self propelled mowers, some of them can do as much as 4km/hr.

Fantastic reporting here by the mole

Leilua saga drags on

At this stage Luciano Leilua looks like staying at the Tigers for 2022 despite wanting out to join the Cowboys early - but watch this space.

The two clubs are talking regularly - and don't forget Cowboys coach Todd Payten was a member of Tim Sheens' "miracle" Tigers' premiership-winning team of 2005 so the pair are great mates.

The Tigers are open to a player swap and named three young Cowboys forwards who they would happily swap for the enigmatic Leilua.

But the reply from the Cowboys came back as follow:

"NO

NO

and NO".

The clubs are continuing to work to try finding a solution, with the Tigers knowing deep down that there is little point keeping the big forward if he doesn't want to be there.

Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.

@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512384) said:

Leilua saga drags on

At this stage Luciano Leilua looks like staying at the Tigers for 2022 despite wanting out to join the Cowboys early - but watch this space.

The two clubs are talking regularly - and don't forget Cowboys coach Todd Payten was a member of Tim Sheens' "miracle" Tigers' premiership-winning team of 2005 so the pair are great mates.

The Tigers are open to a player swap and named three young Cowboys forwards who they would happily swap for the enigmatic Leilua.

"NO

NO

and NO".

The clubs are continuing to work to try finding a solution, with the Tigers knowing deep down that there is little point keeping the big forward if he doesn't want to be there.

I'm guessing the three forwards would be

Luki (bit of confusion about his contract status)
Nanai
Gilbert

@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512388) said:

Leilua saga drags on

"NO

NO

and NO".

Nanai
Gilbert

They say no no no because they know they will get him one way or another....just another Moses/Matterson saga for which our club is getting a bad reputation for...what do we do...play a $500k player in NSW cup for the year?...(I would)

@tigerap said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512398) said:
@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512388) said:

Leilua saga drags on

"NO

NO

and NO".

Nanai
Gilbert

They say no no no because they know they will get him one way or another....just another Moses/Matterson saga for which our club is getting a bad reputation for...what do we do...play a $500k player in NSW cup for the year?...(I would)

Just like having Packer back on the books. No issue if WT went that way.

@gnr4life said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512386) said:
Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.

Its the same reason as to why Matterson and Aioiai left the club that signed them was giving them better money and they wanted that money straight away that’s all it is if LL really wants out before next season Cowboys will be giving us something in return

@glenji95 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512406) said:

Its the same reason as to why Matterson and Aioiai left the club that signed them was giving them better money and they wanted that money straight away that’s all it is if LL really wants out before next season Cowboys will be giving us something in return

But isn’t Papali’i getting more money at tigers . So how do you explain him not getting out early

The problem with Matterson and Aloiai was that in the eyes of the public they didn't have contracts lined up for afterwards. We knew they wanted out, and suspected the Eels, but no signing a year ahead was publicly announced.

Cows have announced that they are signing Lucy, so can't use the underhanded technique now as everyone knows and is looking out for it.

Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. **Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.**

Don't like that it's apparently only an untenable situation here at the WTs and IMO kind of paints the picture that the club are unable to manage any potential conflict or crisis.

@lauren said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512414) said:
Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. **Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.**

Don't like that it's apparently only an untenable situation here at the WTs and IMO kind of paints the picture that the club are unable to manage any potential conflict or crisis.

We need to make a firm stand as it seems we are doing now. Everyone fulfills their contracts unless their future club or manager can present a viable solution (i.e. player that we want). Any kicking stones just results in playing NSW Cup (which I'm sure their future club won't be impressed with) to show other players you don't mess us around!

@blackwhitegold said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512416) said:

We need to make a firm stand as it seems we are doing now. Everyone fulfills their contracts unless their future club or manager can present a viable solution (i.e. player that we want). Any kicking stones just results in playing NSW Cup (which I'm sure their future club won't be impressed with) to show other players you don't mess us around!

And because our reputation is one of a soft club which has previously let players go for no benefit to us other than getting rid of their bad influence, any benefit we get has to be very public, or it does nothing to help fix our reputation.

So yes, keep Lucy unless Cows swap a player.

@goanna57 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512409) said:

But isn’t Papali’i getting more money at tigers . So how do you explain him not getting out early

Old fashioned loyalty ... a rare commodity these days -

No need for the WTs to release Lucy. His ability to stay fit is questionable. The longer he is with us the more chance he has of regressing if we have other priorities. I can see why there is pressure from the Cowboys. Make them sweat or swap

It’s more that we as a club get eyes on articles and news sites. The club have been pretty strong about what they expect ie he plays here in 2022. He’s at training doing what he should be doing.

Back