Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers

@lauren said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512414) said:
@gnr4life said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512386) said:
Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. **Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.**

Don't like that it's apparently only an untenable situation here at the WTs and IMO kind of paints the picture that the club are unable to manage any potential conflict or crisis.

It’s more that we as a club get eyes on articles and news sites. The club have been pretty strong about what they expect ie he plays here in 2022. He’s at training doing what he should be doing.

Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. **Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.**

Don't like that it's apparently only an untenable situation here at the WTs and IMO kind of paints the picture that the club are unable to manage any potential conflict or crisis.

It’s not that it’s untenable it’s more that the news outlets sucker people in with those headlines and comments. The club has made one statement at it was that he is here in 2022. He is at training and doing what he is meant to. We also haven’t heard anything from him wanting out.

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512422) said:

It’s not that it’s untenable it’s more that the news outlets sucker people in with those headlines and comments. The club has made one statement at it was that he is here in 2022. He is at training and doing what he is meant to. We also haven’t heard anything from him wanting out.

No I get that (with the media) and there's probably already articles on standby - in response /regards - to how the club chooses to manoeuvre through it. But for once I'd like to feel that the club are in the driver's seat with it all and not folding to player's (or their managers) demands. Or even the media pressure.

@lauren said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512424) said:
@chicken_faced_killa said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512422) said:

No I get that (with the media) and there's probably already articles on standby - in response /regards - to how the club chooses to manoeuvre through it. But for once I'd like to feel that the club are in the driver's seat with it all and not folding to player's (or their managers) demands. Or even the media pressure.

I think they are in the drivers seat this time. They have targeted who they want and said no to others.

@goanna57 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512409) said:
@glenji95 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512406) said:
Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.

Its the same reason as to why Matterson and Aioiai left the club that signed them was giving them better money and they wanted that money straight away that’s all it is if LL really wants out before next season Cowboys will be giving us something in return

But isn’t Papali’i getting more money at tigers . So how do you explain him not getting out early

He's a decent human...

Why does Papali’i happily stay an extra year at Parra making a 3rd of the money, meanwhile any player of ours who signs elsewhere must leave immediately. Look at all the players who have already found other clubs for 2023. Only one supposedly wants out of his current club before then. To no one’s surprise, it’s a player at our club.

More the player than the club. Be fair.

@tigerap said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512398) said:
@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512388) said:
@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512384) said:
Fantastic reporting here by the mole

Leilua saga drags on

At this stage Luciano Leilua looks like staying at the Tigers for 2022 despite wanting out to join the Cowboys early - but watch this space.

The two clubs are talking regularly - and don't forget Cowboys coach Todd Payten was a member of Tim Sheens' "miracle" Tigers' premiership-winning team of 2005 so the pair are great mates.

The Tigers are open to a player swap and named three young Cowboys forwards who they would happily swap for the enigmatic Leilua.

But the reply from the Cowboys came back as follow:

"NO

NO

and NO".

The clubs are continuing to work to try finding a solution, with the Tigers knowing deep down that there is little point keeping the big forward if he doesn't want to be there.

I'm guessing the three forwards would be

Luki (bit of confusion about his contract status)
Nanai
Gilbert

They say no no no because they know they will get him one way or another....just another Moses/Matterson saga for which our club is getting a bad reputation for...what do we do...play a $500k player in **NSW cup for the year?...(I would)**

You are much too nice, why give him any game time?

Make him 18th man every week and at the end of the season send him off to the cows the size of the Goodyear blimp and probably just about as agile.

@hank37w said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512463) said:

Leilua saga drags on

At this stage Luciano Leilua looks like staying at the Tigers for 2022 despite wanting out to join the Cowboys early - but watch this space.

The two clubs are talking regularly - and don't forget Cowboys coach Todd Payten was a member of Tim Sheens' "miracle" Tigers' premiership-winning team of 2005 so the pair are great mates.

The Tigers are open to a player swap and named three young Cowboys forwards who they would happily swap for the enigmatic Leilua.

"NO

NO

and NO".

The clubs are continuing to work to try finding a solution, with the Tigers knowing deep down that there is little point keeping the big forward if he doesn't want to be there.

Nanai
Gilbert

They say no no no because they know they will get him one way or another....just another Moses/Matterson saga for which our club is getting a bad reputation for...what do we do...play a $500k player in **NSW cup for the year?...(I would)**

Make him 18th man every week and at the end of the season send him off to the cows the size of the Goodyear blimp and probably just about as agile.

I don’t get this mentality. If he is here he still makes our team. We need to get the best we can out of him.

@chicken_faced_killa said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512464) said:

Leilua saga drags on

"NO

NO

and NO".

Nanai
Gilbert

I don’t get this mentality. If he is here he still makes our team. We need to get the best we can out of him.

It's called spite and forcing the Cows to come to the party instead of bending over like we always do.

@hank37w said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512468) said:
@chicken_faced_killa said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512464) said:

Leilua saga drags on

"NO

NO

and NO".

Nanai
Gilbert

It's called spite and forcing the Cows to come to the party instead of bending over like we always do.

If we can’t get what we want oh well. Let’s just focus on 2023 with him here. Doing Luciano a disservice doesn’t help us in any way.

If the Cows start thinking we are going down that path, it could very well force them to come to the party.

Filthy scum Eels gave Stefano about 12 minutes of NRL time and had him on minimum money, at least Luciano is on pretty good pay with us, even if it's not the 700K that he would like.

Maybe we need to take a hard line for a change instead of being the soft touches of the NRL.

Apart from all that I was also having a bit of a laugh in case you didn't catch on.

Leilua saga drags on

"NO

NO

and NO".

Nanai
Gilbert

Agree. We are trying to win as many games as we can. He is in our top 17 players. Both the tigers and Luciano need to be professional in my opinion.

The attitude of their youngsters will be interesting. Cows have Taumololo, Hess, and have paid Leilua a heap of cash to get him there so he will feature prominently. With their club blocking their pathways and game time, how can management they stand in their way when they've directly prioritised other players ahead of their own?

@balmain-boy said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1512499) said:
The attitude of their youngsters will be interesting. Cows have Taumololo, Hess, and have paid Leilua a heap of cash to get him there so he will feature prominently. With their club blocking their pathways and game time, how can management they stand in their way when they've directly prioritised other players ahead of their own?

Good point. Hopefully it works out in our favour for a change.

Cashed-up North Queensland will formally ask Wests Tigers this week to consider approving an early release for forward Luciano Leilua.

Leilua has signed a three-year deal with the Cowboys – worth a cool $2.1 million – from 2023, but North Queensland has room in its salary to accomodate the Wests star from next year.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal the two North Queensland players the Tigers have requested in a possible player swap for Leilua for 2022 – rising back-rowers Jeremiah Nanai and Heilum Luki.

However, North Queensland rejected the proposal and have started contract talks to extend Nanai, 18, and Luki, 20, who are entering the final year of their current deals and can both sign with rival clubs for the 2023 season.

The Tigers have shown considerable interest in Nanai, who is rated among the finest young back-rowers in rugby league.

Leilua hasn’t agitated for an early release but the situation is delicate.

While the Tigers want to retain Leilua for the final year of his deal, the player’s contract will increase from $550,000 this season to between $600,000 and $650,000 in 2022.

Wests officials need to discuss whether the club can obtain value for that price. Player managers call it ROI – return on investment.

Canterbury winger Nick Cotric adds another layer of uncertainty to the equation.

Should Cotric be squeezed out of Canterbury due to the Bulldogs’ precarious salary cap position and end up at Concord, Wests may need to shed a player — which could be Leilua.

Wests, at this stage, are suggesting Leilua won’t be granted an early release.

And, by allowing him to walk early, the Tigers could suddenly be left short of an edge back-rower.

Parramatta’s Isaiah Papali’i has signed for 2023 but the Eels, at this stage, won’t entertain a premature release given the 2021 Dally M back-rower of the year provides tremendous value on a modest contract.

The easygoing Leilua would be happy to stay in 2022 but equally content to leave if the right offer was lodged.

Leilua is a popular member of the Tigers squad and was a passionate supporter of Michael Maguire when the coach was under pressure to retain his job after last season.

Tigers management also continue holding talks to re-sign prop Stefano Utoikamanu, who joined an extended NSW State of Origin squad this year.

Cotric is also a genuine target for the Canberra Raiders but rumours persist he wants to remain in Sydney.

Canberra management may consider allowing Bailey Simonsson to leave for Parramatta next season if the Raiders can sign Cotric.

Wests last week signed Penrith’s Api Koroisau for 2023 and 2024 with a mutual option for 2025.

@wt2k said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1515384) said:
Cashed-up North Queensland will formally ask Wests Tigers this week to consider approving an early release for forward Luciano Leilua.

Leilua has signed a three-year deal with the Cowboys – worth a cool $2.1 million – from 2023, but North Queensland has room in its salary to accomodate the Wests star from next year.

The Daily Telegraph can also reveal the two North Queensland players the Tigers have requested in a possible player swap for Leilua for 2022 – rising back-rowers Jeremiah Nanai and Heilum Luki.

However, North Queensland rejected the proposal and have started contract talks to extend Nanai, 18, and Luki, 20, who are entering the final year of their current deals and can both sign with rival clubs for the 2023 season.

The Tigers have shown considerable interest in Nanai, who is rated among the finest young back-rowers in rugby league.

Leilua hasn’t agitated for an early release but the situation is delicate.

While the Tigers want to retain Leilua for the final year of his deal, the player’s contract will increase from $550,000 this season to between $600,000 and $650,000 in 2022.

Wests officials need to discuss whether the club can obtain value for that price. Player managers call it ROI – return on investment.

Canterbury winger Nick Cotric adds another layer of uncertainty to the equation.

Should Cotric be squeezed out of Canterbury due to the Bulldogs’ precarious salary cap position and end up at Concord, Wests may need to shed a player — which could be Leilua.

Wests, at this stage, are suggesting Leilua won’t be granted an early release.

And, by allowing him to walk early, the Tigers could suddenly be left short of an edge back-rower.

Parramatta’s Isaiah Papali’i has signed for 2023 but the Eels, at this stage, won’t entertain a premature release given the 2021 Dally M back-rower of the year provides tremendous value on a modest contract.

The easygoing Leilua would be happy to stay in 2022 but equally content to leave if the right offer was lodged.

Leilua is a popular member of the Tigers squad and was a passionate supporter of Michael Maguire when the coach was under pressure to retain his job after last season.

Tigers management also continue holding talks to re-sign prop Stefano Utoikamanu, who joined an extended NSW State of Origin squad this year.

Cotric is also a genuine target for the Canberra Raiders but rumours persist he wants to remain in Sydney.

Canberra management may consider allowing Bailey Simonsson to leave for Parramatta next season if the Raiders can sign Cotric.

Wests last week signed Penrith’s Api Koroisau for 2023 and 2024 with a mutual option for 2025.

I think we should hold out for something better from the Cowboys. I don't think we're in any rush.

We will sign one of Nanai or Luki (Queensland borders open up next week). We will then swap whoever we sign for Leilua. Smart business by the club, you pay overs and sign one of ours, we will counter and sign one of your young guns. Stuff you Cowgirls

If anybody is interested, head to Cowboys Stampede forum. They troll ours and are stressing big time about both Nanai and Luki haha they are a massive rabble

@eyeofthetiger-0 said in [Luciano Leilua quits Wests Tigers](/post/1515392) said:
If anybody is interested, head to Cowboys Stampede forum. They troll ours and are stressing big time about both Nanai and Luki haha they are a massive rabble

Hope we take a nice dump on em and take one of Luki/Nanai whilst they enjoy 700k Luciano

Back