David Nofoaluma #164

Remember those times when you get called a nutjob if you think the NRL conspires against the Tigers. After a very long list of examples, Short whistle or not, square at marker against Brisbane or not, Never forget this memory of David.

Yep one of my go to examples. At a time where they went up for everything, they flat out just didn’t look. Thanks for sharing.

Yep one of my go to examples. At a time where they went up for everything, they flat out just didn’t look. Thanks for sharing.
Mate, it still pisses me off to this day. I carried the hatred for Hayne in every game after that. Hayne was worse than the Grasshopper when he refed against us.

Peta Hiku scored the next set and again 5 mins later, Game over by the 10 min mark, Tigers just switched off and their heads went down, lost by like 40 points. We had beaten the Manly scum earlier in 2014 and if we got that start, with a try in the 2nd - 3rd minute who knows. Yep, pisses me off.

Robbie should have taken the team off the field.

Mate, it still pisses me off to this day. I carried the hatred for Hayne in every game after that. Hayne was worse than the Grasshopper when he refed against us.

Peta Hiku scored the next set and again 5 mins later, Game over by the 10 min mark, Tigers just switched off and their heads went down, lost by like 40 points. We had beaten the Manly scum earlier in 2014 and if we got that start, with a try in the 2nd - 3rd minute who knows. Yep, pisses me off.

Yep I always wonder if we scored first if we coulda upset them that day…

Never forgiven Tallis for making his bones on Robbie and the club, poor Mick Potter.
We were actually going alright. And then news broke on a Sunday morning that a board meeting had been called that night on Potter’s future. Naturally we came out that day and got pumped. I don‘t think we won another game that season.

Only one of those players can catch a ball.
Hint: Flippers for hands.

But yeah $525k for an average winger 🤦‍♂
We got done on that deal and it has cost us and him. We should’ve stuck to our guns at $350 and he’d be at parra reserve grade on $500.
That misunderstands Nofa and the problem he gave us.

Nofa was NEVER an Average winger.
He was an exceptionally good winger in his prime, if you only looked at try scoring.
he was an exceptionally poor defender.

We had commentators saying "well he can score 2 tries a game, but if he lets through 3.. are the Tigers ahead".

If Nofo was a Beau Ryan or Corey Thompson style winger, Nothing exceptional but held the line and scored a try if he overlapped he would have been perfect.

Nofo's defense actually improved in his last years. Too little too late.

Yeah Hayne was my least favourite ref back then... About the same period I'm sure we got screwed massively against Canberra I think down there that cost us the game
I reckon Skando last game at Cambo we were dudded by that wonderful human Steve Clark... Glad I've erased most from. My memory there's been too many, it would affect me. The next day at work too 😡

A welfare check isn't about verifying that the player is telling the truth about whatever's wrong with them - it's to make sure they're alright. Nofo called in sick and the club accepted that, as it should. But as part of that he was required to respond to contact from the club while off sick, which he didn't do. So they sent a peer round to make sure he was ok.

With the Tigers' history this seems very sensible: imagine if a player with acknowledged or at least implied mental health issues had done something rash and the club hadn't checked in on him - not to mention it being the right thing to do. They send a player rather than someone medical specifically because a welfare check isn't meant to be challenging the player's self-reported medical issue.
I remember when Justin described that cafe meeting with Jimmy the Jet as a “welfare check.”

I was very pleased to see that we were so caring about players we’d never met.

I suppose his agent was there also as a “support person”

I liked the fact we sent him with off with some respect. A rare moment of decency I’d thought we’d lost forever.

Last edited:
He does have an ego old Dave... Follow him on insta, he doesn't mind posting his tries online.

Ego can help a lot of players if it's natural for them AND they have the talent to pull it off... Only the really good players can get away with an ego in overdrive... But it can get out of control.
There's a junior cricket coaching academy at Breakfast pt/Mortlake for young rep cricketers in the district, near where lots of our players lived.... Sign on entering:
"please leave your ego at the door - you can pick it up when you go"

Ultimately this is how I feel as well.

However I question how much blame is on the Nofoaluma and how much is on the club.
Yes, it appears as though he has an attitude issue but attitude is typically the product of the environment. Simply saying "suck it up you're paid well" is easier said than done when he has seemingly had a poor work environment for years.
Also question how much truth there is to Nofoaluma's complaints to the RLPA. If he was truly told he will never play first grade for the club again and singled out with unjust training expectations, then again it is no surprise he would have a bad attitude. It appears just as likely the club was trying to rid themselves of a poor contract, moreso than Nofoaluma being the problem.
It additionally could be simply Marshall having a personal dislike of Nofoaluma. He used to have a reputation for being quite vindictive.
Not saying any of the above is or isn't accurate. I just think there is just too much grey area to jump on the Nofo hate train.
Anyways, he's gone now and ultimately I think the club is better for it whomever is to blame for how his time with the club ended.
Lots of good points in there. Well said. I guess we’ll never know the real truth. I hope Nofo can move on and find a new club and be happy. I hope the club can move on and turn its fortunes around.

Latest posts

Members online

Back