David Nofoaluma #164

Geo

Staff member
Forum Leader
NRL Confidential: David Nofoaluma’s story from being homeless and feeling worthless to NRL star.
SmartSelect_20221121-220724_DuckDuckGo.jpg
TIGERS star David Nofoaluma reveals the story of when he was just 17 he’d hit rock bottom.

With nowhere to go and nothing more than the clothes on his back, the flyer went from feeling worthless to an NRL star within two years.

Check out the social side of the game in NRL Confidential.

From being homeless to NRL star

Wests Tigers winger David Nofoaluma has opened up about his life and how he went from rock bottom to making his NRL debut within 24 months.

Prior to making his NRL debut, Nofoaluma was homeless.

Having never met his father and grown up with his grandparents’, the winger had split with his girlfriend who he was living with and got on a bus with nothing more than some change in his pocket and the clothes on his back.

That’s when he remembered an offer from a family friend.

“I was on a bus and I remember (family friends) saying ‘whenever you have it tough, we’re here anytime you need us’ and I was on the bus and the bus happened to go past their place,” Nofoalum told the Locker Room podcast.

“When the trains aren’t working you have to take a bus. I got on the bus and it went past their place and I still remember the day.

“I got off the bus and knocked on the door and (my family friends) were happy to see me.

“From then I lived with them. I had nothing on me. I was probably at rock-bottom. I was at the bottom and there was nothing going on in my mind. (I thought) I’m worth nothing.

“I was probably 17 years old.

“I left school earlier. I’d just finished High School.”

Fast forward two years and Nofoaluma made his debut.

The flyer debuted back in 2013 after Matt Utai failed a fitness test. He was in his last year of NYC and finished the year in the top grade.

Now he has over 50 NRL games to his name but he’s stayed humble.

“It’s always something I keep in mind,” he said of his journey. “That’s why I’m pretty rapped to be where I am.”

@innsaneink said:
He is rapt to be where he is….Poorly written article
Glad his friends were true to their word

Yep, very poorly written. I don't want to seem like I am trivialising the situation, but he was homeless from the time he left his girlfriend's house on a bus until the time the bus arrived at his mate's house?

Anyway, I always wish the best for anyone who dons the WT jersey. I sometimes forget that playing in the NRL is the only shot some guys get at avoiding a tough life.

Sorry to say but that is not homelessness. If he had been on streets for a couple of nights, fair enough but he must of been on a bus for no less than 30min.
The bloke played Australian Schoolboys and NSW u/18's so i am pretty sure someone at the club would have put him up next day.
I think the story should be more about being borderline depressed after a relationship breakdown and not knowing what will happen next without that support in his life at the time.

Please shoot me down if i have offended anyone.

@Chipofftheoldblock said:
Sorry to say but that is not homelessness. If he had been on streets for a couple of nights, fair enough but he must of been on a bus for no less than 30min.
The bloke played Australian Schoolboys and NSW u/18's so i am pretty sure someone at the club would have put him up next day.
I think the story should be more about being borderline depressed after a relationship breakdown and not knowing what will happen next without that support in his life at the time.

Please shoot me down if i have offended anyone.

I tend to agree….and I blame the author who Id say wanted to take this angle
Still....Ive lived on a mates lounge from day to day, and its a close to being homeless as Id ever wanna be
Kudos to dave for sticking tough and having a red hot go...many in the position he was in just chuck in the towel

@Tbone said:
@innsaneink said:
He is rapt to be where he is….Poorly written article
Glad his friends were true to their word

Yep, very poorly written. I don't want to seem like I am trivialising the situation, but he was homeless from the time he left his girlfriend's house on a bus until the time the bus arrived at his mate's house?

Anyway, I always wish the best for anyone who dons the WT jersey. I sometimes forget that playing in the NRL is the only shot some guys get at avoiding a tough life.

Don't worry you didn't trivialise it - it was already trivial! I'm sure he had plenty of mates from footy at the time, he was never at real risk of not having a roof over his head.

Bit tough guys.
Maybe not homeless, but growing up without parents, your girl kicking you out and living with friends would probably make me feel like i didn't have s home either.
Shelter yes, but maybe not a home.

Bottom line is he had nothing, and felt worthless with no idea on how to change it.

But fortunately he had good friends who were true to their word and helped him get his life together. Great to hear that, and good on them!

Onward and upward David.

@gallagher said:
Bit tough guys.
Maybe not homeless, but growing up without parents, your girl kicking you out and living with friends would probably make me feel like i didn't have s home either.
Shelter yes, but maybe not a home.

Agree - seventeen year olds really don't have clue even if they think they do. They desperately need supportive and stable influences in their lives. A terrible situation for any teenager to find themselves in and good on him for pursuing his rugby league dream instead of falling into the trap of the victim mentality.

The article is badly written. I doubt David would ever have been homeless since he had his wonderful and loving grandparents to look out for him.
In a past article David said his grandparents were always there for him. Guiding and supporting him.
He's grandfather was the one that encouraged him to play RL and made it possible by driving him to training etc.
David's a nice young man and his grandparents must be so very proud of him. :slight_smile:

I want to throw his name into this conversation. He's been at this level of performance before and it's easy to say at the surface that he's an inconsistent player but his young career has been interrupted by injury every season. This is injury free Nofoaluma and in my opinion he's the best attacking winger in the NRL. His defense needs work but he's no worse a defender than Josh Mansour, and is a better finisher. He and Mansour are extremely similar levels of player and Mansour is your incumbent Origin winger. If Nofoaluma can get his bomb catches consistent and keep belting blokes in defense he'll get there sooner rather than later.

@MacDougall said:
Nobody quote where I was insulting him earlier in the year and saying he sucked please.

I don't think you went that far:

_"I am not convinced Nofoaluma himself is a better option than Addo Carr but he hasn't done anything to be dropped for him either."_

He'll need to have a strong start to next season to be in contention but yeah, when he's firing he's a tackle busting machine.

I'm not too worried about his defence till he has guys inside him making solid decisions. Alot of the time he gets left high and dry. He does need to work on his hands though. I still hold my breath every time the ball goes his way, especially in the air.

With ball in hand he is up there with the best. If he can maintain his forn he will get a mention.

Back