Cricket Season Thread

Smith fails AGAIN and in the same way he moves so far and has no idea where is off stump is and burns a review AGAIN .He has serious technical deficiencies and should never open again .
I’m not so sure that Smith is failing consistently because he has developed a technical deficiency.

He has always had an idiosyncratic technique. He has always played back and across to balls outside off, but until recently he never missed because his hand-eye coordination was so good.

But old father time has been catching up with Steve and he is being dismissed bowled (often off the inside edge) and lbw to balls that would never have got him out in the old days.

Steve Smith is one of my all time favourite cricketers and it pains me to see him getting out so regularly in the same manner. He has clearly gone into a significant decline. I don’t ever see him getting back to his best.

I wish he would retire and let us appreciate his batting achievements home and away. In his pomp he was as good as any Australian batsmen that I have seen.

This is the worst batting lineup we've fielded for a long time.
Smith not an opener and maybe not a Test level batter anymore.
Khawaja OK.
Marnus hopelessly out of form.
Green capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Head capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Marsh capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Carey an average first class keeper capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Cannot afford so many iffy batters from 3 to 6 and would pick the best Shield keeper batsman.
Poms will beat this team next Summer. They have more class in their batsmen and will bowl OK out here.
If it was the poms next summer we might have a good chance but 2024/25 summer its India .Poms 2025/26 summer

If it was the poms next summer we might have a good chance but 2024/25 summer its India .Poms 2025/26 summer
You're right, thanks for the correction. I'm glad it's not England because I hate losing to them. Mind you I hate losing to India too but just a tiny bit less. We need a revamp or we need the existing players to develop much greater consistency.

This is the worst batting lineup we've fielded for a long time.
Smith not an opener and maybe not a Test level batter anymore.
Khawaja OK.
Marnus hopelessly out of form.
Green capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Head capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Marsh capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Carey an average first class keeper capable of a good knock every five or six digs but not consistent.
Cannot afford so many iffy batters from 3 to 6 and would pick the best Shield keeper batsman.
Poms will beat this team next Summer. They have more class in their batsmen and will bowl OK out here.
Carey is the best wicketkeeper we have had for a VERY long time. His batting is a different story.

Carey is the best wicketkeeper we have had for a VERY long time. His batting is a different story.
All Sheffield Shield keepers can keep pretty well but some bat better than others. I'd pick the best batter out of that group. Just about every national team has a good keeper batsman and we've had good ones since Rod Marsh came on the scene. Carey is too hit and miss for mine.

Wow.
Surprised to see an expert get it so wrong. Maybe he should strive to batout the first session for a change before going after a world record? 🤣🤣🤣
He also felt that Smith’s probable promotion at the top could buy him time to break Brian Lara’s highest Test score of 400 runs in an innings: “He [Smith] is that good a player. It might be that challenge he’s looking for. If he opens, he will be the best opener within 12 months. Don’t be surprised if he breaks Brian Lara’s 400 record because he’s that good and now he’s got the whole day.”

They have backed themselves into a corner with Smith opening, cos if you move him back down the order, who goes? Green? Head? The only option they have is moving someone else up to open. Otherwise someone must go.

They have backed themselves into a corner with Smith opening, cos if you move him back down the order, who goes? Green? Head? The only option they have is moving someone else up to open. Otherwise someone must go.

They'll drop Marsh; they're backing Green in all the way for all-rounder duties.

And if Marsh plays a match winning innings today, it backs them up even further.
And no tests to sort the issue out. Hopefully the time away from tests will rejuvenate them all and they find form from somewhere?

Smith's fall from grace has been quite devastating. Makes a strong point of being technically right rather than relying on hand-eye co-ordination only to be a top tier batsman. Smith probably has/ had the best hand eye coordination, an extremely strong work ethic and honestly did all the little things right. However, his biggest flaw has been that his technique was lacking.

I hope his form picks up.

One good partnership here though and we have a close game. Both Marsh and Carey need to make 50+

I've been critical of Carey but must take my hat off to him .His 50 this morning was impeccable . With Marsh he just does his thing and it either comes off or it doesn't
From 4-34 when Marsh first came to crease to 5-174 at lunch on Day 4
Head did his usual reckless thing but he's living off all the credits he has in the bank from winning a WC and a WTC and he's using them up fast .
Good to see NZ looking a bit panicky in the field burning 2 reviews .
All in all I'm confused what batting line up we present to India in Nov but one thing is for sure Steve Smith can't open !

I've been critical of Carey but must take my hat off to him .His 50 this morning was impeccable . With Marsh he just does his thing and it either comes off or it doesn't
From 4-34 when Marsh first came to crease to 5-174 at lunch on Day 4
Head did his usual reckless thing but he's living off all the credits he has in the bank from winning a WC and a WTC and he's using them up fast .
Good to see NZ looking a bit panicky in the field burning 2 reviews .
All in all I'm confused what batting line up we present to India in Nov but one thing is for sure Steve Smith can't open !
This is a good game of cricket and whilst odds must be slightly in NZs favour it can still go either way.
Just what you want to see.

Back