Vale Norm Provan

mike

The Captains Captain has passed. A true legend of the game. Condolences to all his family, friends and rugby league fans in general. We have lost a great one today.

![3353B94B-9B10-4428-B561-F73421BE9B5D.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1634174531709-3353b94b-9b10-4428-b561-f73421be9b5d.jpeg)

A true rugby league great and anyone who has met him said he was a true gentleman

RIP Norm Provan condolenses to Norms family and friends

RIP to one of the game's greats, when the game was great. Condolensces to family and friends.

Go have a beer with Arthur up there.... RIP

![FB_IMG_1634175588590.jpg](/assets/uploads/files/1634175611966-fb_img_1634175588590.jpg)

One of the greats. Rest in peace, Norm 🌹

I saw that '63 GF all those years ago. One of the toughest contests ever played. Crowd of almost 70,000. Two great sides battling it out in knee deep mud and pouring rain. Arthur Summons always reckoned Wests were dudded on the day. There were many strange rulings that day by the match officials and I don't recall any favouring the Magpies! That being said, Sticks Provan was a great front rower and club captain. Condolences to his family at this very sad time. Rest in peace big fella!

Never met Norm, but he seemed like a great bloke and an obvious legend of the game.

I did get the chance to meet and talk to his brother Peter before he passed away and he was a great gentleman. Great bloke. I was also stunned how big a human Peter Provan was, even as an old man. The brothers must have been huge.

A legend of the game, when the word Legend meant something.

A great player, a terrific man and an even better human being.

RIP Norm - we will always be able to share the memories with you.

RIP legend.

I hope the filthy Penrith scum that disrespected Norm and Arthur when they broke, and afterwards handled the trophy in such a shameful way are pleased with themselves.

@tigerwest said in [Vale Norm Provan](/post/1492099) said:
Does anyone know if his brother Peter is still alive?

Unfortunately no. From WIKI, passed 2010.

Peter Provan (13 August 1936 – 13 May 2010) was an Australian professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s and 1960s. He played for St. George Dragons, Balmain Tigers and Australia.

After a long illness, Provan died in Sydney on 13 May 2010.

At the time of his death Balmain Tigers Chairman David Trodden released the following statement: "The Tigers have lost one of the most famous and most respected figures in the history of our club. He led us to perhaps our greatest Grand Final win ever. For that reason alone, he will always have a very special place in our memory".

Rest In Peace, Norm Provan. ❤

RIP legend. Hopefully Penrith understood how influential Norm was to Rugby League before damaging the trophy.

![FBncAM0WQAA_ndq.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1634191742361-fbncam0wqaa_ndq.jpeg)

RIP. Shame his last memory may have been a few degenerates damaging the trophy he made famous.

I wasn't a Dragons supporter but boy couldn't he play, a thorough gentleman as well, some of the so called stars of to-day could take a leaf out of his book. RIP Norm.

@gnr4life said in [Vale Norm Provan](/post/1492179) said:
RIP. Shame his last memory may have been a few degenerates damaging the trophy he made famous.

Disgusting from those Penrith players. In case anyone is unaware, Provan and Summons were broken off from the trophy. Unsure who, but Penrith players posted pictures to social media of them in a pram with the captions "goo goo gaa gaa".

![penrith scum](https://images.7news.com.au/publication/C-4182020/a95287517a9a4425a1d0698092863537d42eaaef.jpg?imwidth=828&impolicy=sevennews_v2)

@tiger_fanatic3 said in [Vale Norm Provan](/post/1492176) said:
Rest In Peace, Norm Provan. ❤

RIP legend. Hopefully Penrith understood how influential Norm was to Rugby League before damaging the trophy.

![FBncAM0WQAA_ndq.jpeg](/assets/uploads/files/1634191742361-fbncam0wqaa_ndq.jpeg)

They would not have had any idea - just a bunch of Yokels!

RIP.
He was captain-coach for Saints in the last four grand final wins.
Never to be done ever again.

Back