Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I know what you are getting at, our young players would be a lot less value in the Salary Cap than the ones you have mentioned, but these other clubs are not silly, they don’t recruit under sized players unless they have sone exceptional qualities such as speed, stamina, power & aggression etc
Our two you have mentioned don’t have exceptional speed to overcome their lack of size and in Faagatu’s case he doesn’t appear to have much stamina either.
We’d be looking at paying 700-800k per season to be any chance of recruiting someone like Willison. Maybe he’s worth that money purely on potential with his elite size, speed and athleticism, but we won’t have that type of money to spend unless we offload a hell of a lot of deadwood first,
I personally think it’s a lost cause, but retaining Stef should be our first priority and then adding a big powerful impact forward such as Willison or someone similar would be ideal.
As for wingers Stonestreet would be a fantastic addition if we could somehow get him as would Jeral Skelton and possibly a sneaky play at Khan-Pereira while he’s not getting in the Titans NRL side.
We just have to hope Luai works for us in the halves and we need something to assist our back row, but again we won’t be in a position tn attract anyone unless we offload some deadwood.
No chance Willison would be on anywhere near that much in his next contract! Even 400-500k would be a huge stretch.

These other guys are in reserve grade, we've just got to go hard for them

He could become one of the greatest wingers if he really focuses, but he is young so he’s got time to figure it out, but has to do it sooner rather than later. He might have speed similar to Addo-Carr but he’s not there yet in regards to being another Addo-Carr. But still he’s currently not available. Have to see if he does become available.
FFS , every single player in the comp is theoretically available.
Most clubs don't just sign off contract players...

Because he's been in reserve grade...
And? Just because he’s been playing reserve grade doesn’t automatically mean he is available or he’s going to become available. Besides out of the 8 games Titans have played this year (had the bye in Round 2) he’s played in 5 of them. Not exactly on the outer because he’s missed 3 games.

Last edited:
FFS , every single player in the comp is theoretically available.
Most clubs don't just sign off contract players...
No they aren’t. If that were true most players wouldn’t even be at their club for more than a year, maybe 2 max. If everyone was theoretically available they would all be wanting Cleary or Papenhuyzen or someone of that caliber every year. Those 2 alone as well as some others would be sitting down every year with other teams coaches every year to try and get them to their club. And technically most clubs do unless a certain player falls out of their current club and is given permission to look elsewhere.

Seyfarth has only played very minimal minutes in our past 2 games, what has he got to do with these losses ?
Compare apples with apples, you won’t find too many better forwards on the same wage he’d be getting.
You answered your own question…
If he had any impact on the game, he’d be playing for more of it.

He’s got a spot in the 17, seems from your point above he’s only there to make up numbers - you don’t think it might be better to fill his position with someone who can actually make a stamp on the game?

We simply have to recruit. Our first grade squad is the weakest in the comp, our NSW cup side is the weakest in the comp.
We can't just say we have some good teenagers, job done, they can all just pay first grade at a good level... We already have too many kids in our top 30, and more joining next season, we need to lose some and replace them with first graders
I wonder if Broncos would entertain a Willison for Faaugutu swap? They can't afford to keep Xavier but they'd get a cheap prospect who's a local boy with a decent upside?
Maybe we can swap Feledy for Sam Stonestreet. I don't know, bit I'd certainly be looking at what clubs are open to deals
Without knowing the contract situation you "swap" somebody unless that "somebody" wants to go.

1 Sunia Turuva
2 Alofia Khan Perera
3 Jahream Bula
4 Justin Olam
5 Charlie Staines
6 Lachlan Galvin
7 Jarome Luai
8 Alex Twal
9 Api Korosau (C)
10 Stefano Utoikamanu
11 Jayden Sua
12 Sitili Touponua
13 Trey Mooney

14 Samuela Fainu
15 Fonua Pole
16 Alec Tuitavake
17 Xavier Willison

That's it for me.
Obviously we take a few hits and lose a few players to get the job done.
It's just business.
Why would Willison come to play off the bench for the Tigers rather than stay at the Broncos in his home State and play off the bench in a side that's around the top 4 and play semi-finals regulalrly.

Without knowing the contract situation you "swap" somebody unless that "somebody" wants to go.
Unless you make it worth their while...
Josh Alolai for example. Playing here on 300k I think. Manly offer 550k.

Suddenly they "want" to go. Much harder ask for a player to go NZ or QLD to NSW. But can be done.

I would say the Panthers would be interested in that type of trade, personally I do not see Twal or Seyfarth as our problem. I do admit having both of them in our team means we lack a bit of impact, but that’s not their fault that we have an imbalance within our squad.
Neither are taking up much cap space, it should be others who are moved on well before these two.
You can package them all you like but 1) if they don't want to leave you can't force them and (2) there are plenty of other players in the same positions that Penrith could get so why would they want both of them ?

Reactions: 851
We absolutely need to go to the market , our first grade side lacks still and needs probably 2/3 more players after allowing the 2 panthers joining us , so five in all next season we need to add a big strong hard running hard hitting prop , A centre and a Backrower who runs hard and breaks defence ,
then we look at our reserve grade team and we need a clean out there , they were hopeless on the weekend , probably out of the 13. 6/8 need to go , I’m a bit over this we are a development club , I like the idea to bring your own along but we only have a few really good ones and most are 2/3 years off so what do we do run last for 5 years as we are heading back to last place at a very quick pace dropping spots every week , those young guys won’t hang round when your first and second grade teams are on the bottom , Roosters and co will just come along and simply say your good , we want you , do you want to play on the big stage in finals and grand finals maybe origin ,so you need to move clubs , take a bit less cash and enjoy your football and reap the rewards .

You answered your own question…
If he had any impact on the game, he’d be playing for more of it.

He’s got a spot in the 17, seems from your point above he’s only there to make up numbers - you don’t think it might be better to fill his position with someone who can actually make a stamp on the game?
How can he help it if the coach doesn’t put him on the field until the last 20 minutes ?
Benji’s interchange rotations have been diabolical all season.

Why would Willison come to play off the bench for the Tigers rather than stay at the Broncos in his home State and play off the bench in a side that's around the top 4 and play semi-finals regulalrly.
Willison is a kiwi played junior footy in NZ but came over to QLD at some stage. He might not consider him from there so he may be open to a move, especially if the club is gonna guarantee him a starting spot (if we are gonna try for him I reckon that’s what it will take to have a chance).

How can he help it if the coach doesn’t put him on the field until the last 20 minutes ?
While I do agree at times the bench rotation has been poor, in the case of Seyfarth I don’t think he’s done him wrong there. He just offers no impact that’s why he only plays around 20 minutes.

What are you talking about.....
He doesn't get field time, because he doesn't do anything out there to deserve it.
How's Sam Fainu going for game time?
At 20 years old with 12 Games behind him....
Earned himself a starting spot.

Have your 'favourites' all you like, Bottom line is
- If he was a half decent player, He'd be getting game time.

Biggest problem is, We don't have anything better that Alex to take his spot....

They don't want to come!!!!!
Really can’t say players won’t come when the club managed to sign Luai and Turuva from a premiership winning club and premiership winners themselves. Not everyone will come but if 2 players from a team that won the comp is willing to move to the club who came dead last, it shows it is possible.

We are in dire need of an impact second rower and prop. Fainu has been very impressive and Stefano and Pole good in patches, but we don't have any forward who is capable of breaking the line or offloading on a regular basis.

The best prospect in the lower grades, Miller, is a few years away yet. We need to recruit to improve our forward ranks or we're looking at another last place finish next year even with Luai and Turiva coming.
Totally agree on the need for an impact prop and 2nd rower. (& throw in a lock]
Our current props and second rowers are picked every week by everyone because they are not being pushed by the bench.
We need better than Twal and Seyfarth pushing them [hey play to their maximum but that is not high enough if we expect to progress up the ladder].
If our current props and 2nd rowers are not pushed they can survive without pushing themselves to 100%. We need to get that extra 1% effort to turn things around.
I am sure Benji and Richo would recognise this and are looking/shopping for next year.
Sua, Willison and Tallis Duncan would be a good start.

I know what you are getting at, our young players would be a lot less value in the Salary Cap than the ones you have mentioned, but these other clubs are not silly, they don’t recruit under sized players unless they have sone exceptional qualities such as speed, stamina, power & aggression etc
Our two you have mentioned don’t have exceptional speed to overcome their lack of size and in Faagatu’s case he doesn’t appear to have much stamina either.
We’d be looking at paying 700-800k per season to be any chance of recruiting someone like Willison. Maybe he’s worth that money purely on potential with his elite size, speed and athleticism, but we won’t have that type of money to spend unless we offload a hell of a lot of deadwood first,
I personally think it’s a lost cause, but retaining Stef should be our first priority and then adding a big powerful impact forward such as Willison or someone similar would be ideal.
As for wingers Stonestreet would be a fantastic addition if we could somehow get him as would Jeral Skelton and possibly a sneaky play at Khan-Pereira while he’s not getting in the Titans NRL side.
We just have to hope Luai works for us in the halves and we need something to assist our back row, but again we won’t be in a position tn attract anyone unless we offload some deadwood.
Exactly, offload all those mediocre players in the top 30 squad ASAP.
Start again but not with similar type players. Speed a very high priority.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back