OFFICIAL Pathways - KOE General Discussion

The AFLW was well received in its initial year however received a reasonable drop in social media engagement in 2022. Was this due to the novelty wearing off or was it due to the lack of quality of the games? Only 7000 people watched their GF, which saw a combined 34 points scored. It’s a poor product.

Likewise, the NRLW may be improving but it’s quality level currently will not sustain it. Most Harold Mathews teams would win that comp if they were in it. You’ve got to be careful deciding what to promote and what not to.
I agree the AFLW is a poor product, that’s why I said the NRL has learnt from the AFL’s mistakes.

I don’t think NRLW is a poor product though, I really enjoy it personally.

I disagree that this level won’t sustain it, although it will continue to improve (as it has since it started).

Girls in junior league clubs until recent years would be in tears, having to stop playing footy at Under-12’s level because you’re not allowed anymore.

Promoting NRLW has prevented this in just the 5 years that it’s been on TV, by leading to girls teams being formed at junior level.

In turn, the quality will continue to improve and more people will watch.

I agree the AFLW is a poor product, that’s why I said the NRL has learnt from the AFL’s mistakes.

I don’t think NRLW is a poor product though, I really enjoy it personally.

I disagree that this level won’t sustain it, although it will continue to improve (as it has since it started).

Girls in junior league clubs until recent years would be in tears, having to stop playing footy at Under-12’s level because you’re not allowed anymore.

Promoting NRLW has prevented this in just the 5 years that it’s been on TV, by leading to girls teams being formed at junior level.

In turn, the quality will continue to improve and more people will watch.
It’s great that it’s encouraging girls to continue with footy past u/12s, I have a niece doing it right now.
That’s not the argument I’m making though…as a tv product, it’s lacking. I’m dead serious when I say most if not all Harold Matt’s sides would win that comp. It is receiving favourable time slot coverage over far superior products and that is the concern for me.

It’s great that it’s encouraging girls to continue with footy past u/12s, I have a niece doing it right now.
That’s not the argument I’m making though…as a tv product, it’s lacking. I’m dead serious when I say most if not all Harold Matt’s sides would win that comp. It is receiving favourable time slot coverage over far superior products and that is the concern for me.
I personally would rather prioritise growing the women’s game by showing it on national TV in the time-slots it’s currently in.

Gives the women’s game an opportunity to grow itself on a level they haven’t had the opportunity to do previously.

You can’t be what you can’t see, as the saying goes.

I understand that you’re saying there are better rugby league products that could be being shown, and I agree the women’s game will probably never get to the KOE NSW Cup or SG Ball standard.

But I just don’t think removing women’s coverage from national TV (and therefore killing/regressing it and once again removing the opportunity for young women/girls to play) is the correct move.

Happy to agree to disagree on this one.

Remember when the tiger's website would play the koe games and I think flegg, anyone know if it will happen again thought it was fantastic the club would do that for fans to watch???

It’ll be interesting to see how this develops over time.
If they are trying to grow the womens game for reasons of participation, excercise and potentially bumping viewer figures for the NRL overall, then I’m happy. If they are promoting it so that they aren’t seen as being a chauvinistic organisation then I have a problem with it.

Questions that require answers:
How many new viewers, both at the ground and through television/radio does the NRLW attract?
How many would there be if KOE and lower grades were promoted equally as much?
Are these new fans being converted to full time NRL rugby league fans?
Are merchandise sales increasing for NRLW products due to the influx of more female fans?
If so, is there some overflow effect for the NRL?
Is there enough money to pay all men fairly, whilst leaving a reasonable amount for the women?
If not, how long will it take for the women’s game to become financially viable on its own?

I don’t want the comp killed off, but if there is opportunity loss, surely there’s a better way to go about it. I attended the 2022 GF day. The state cup final was on at 1.30. The NRLW was on at 4pm. That was a huge mistake for mine as the State final was great and the NRLW final was a substantial step down from it.

It’ll be interesting to see how this develops over time.
If they are trying to grow the womens game for reasons of participation, excercise and potentially bumping viewer figures for the NRL overall, then I’m happy. If they are promoting it so that they aren’t seen as being a chauvinistic organisation then I have a problem with it.

Questions that require answers:
How many new viewers, both at the ground and through television/radio does the NRLW attract?
How many would there be if KOE and lower grades were promoted equally as much?
Are these new fans being converted to full time NRL rugby league fans?
Are merchandise sales increasing for NRLW products due to the influx of more female fans?
If so, is there some overflow effect for the NRL?
Is there enough money to pay all men fairly, whilst leaving a reasonable amount for the women?
If not, how long will it take for the women’s game to become financially viable on its own?

I don’t want the comp killed off, but if there is opportunity loss, surely there’s a better way to go about it. I attended the 2022 GF day. The state cup final was on at 1.30. The NRLW was on at 4pm. That was a huge mistake for mine as the State final was great and the NRLW final was a substantial step down from it.
I think a few of your questions (specifically "Is there enough money to pay all men fairly, whilst leaving a reasonable amount for the women?" + "If not, how long will it take for the women’s game to become financially viable on its own?") are being discussed in the current, prolonged CBA negotiations.

Agree, will be interesting to see how the competition's future plays out.

When Katie Brown was banging on about equity and investment in the NRLW,
I did a bit of internetting (History, Salary caps, Participation, Growth etc.)
Comparing the NBA and WNBA....

Long story short, Even though the WNBA has been around for coming up to 30 years
In a country with 12-13 Times the population of Australia....
And is a global game.....
It's barely mentioned in the same breath as the mens game.

My logic is, If it's not going to happen there - In a global sport, It's not happening anywhere.
- Without even considering that NRL isn't even Australia wide.

I wonder where they think punters will get all the extra time from....
I catch most games during the week, But I don't think I'd bother to find time for another 8 games - of low level footy.... I'm a footy nut - But that doesn't appeal to me at all.

Will only ever be a PC Correct garnish to the real game in my opinion
This is my concern.

Investing in Bush Footy or growing the game in other states, Pacifics is a better spend for mine....
The Womens game is great, But it will never stand alone and always be fed from the main game.
International game needs attention. The majority of the World Cup was Australians playing New Zealanders….all in different jerseys.

At Western Suburbs Magpies, we feel Tim Sheens return to Concord has been nothing but positive.

He has provided direction, quality, clarity, youth, experience and most importantly hope. Giving the organisation hope is such an under estimated ingredient in success. This even extends to support of our investments into Lidcombe Oval

New players, elite coaching staff, youth, along with a game plan that will definitely ask questions of the opposition, in true Sheens’s fashion.

We wish Sheensy and Wests Tigers a great 2023, while understanding the last few years have been unacceptable but are hopeful and supportive that the 2023 season will be the start of the journey back up the competition ladder.
Well done Sheensy, from the Maggies
Finally we might all be on the same page 🤌

Back