Brisbane team moves to poach Sonny Bill Williams and Quade C

pacey

<big>**NRL bid consortium for second Brisbane team moves to poach Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper**</big>
By Peter Badel The Sunday Mail
\
\
Official offer … Brisbane NRL bid team want SBW to launch their franchise. Source: Adrian Dennis / News Limited
The Brisbane bid team has made official moves to poach Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper from rugby union as the prospective NRL franchise tries to lure them with a multimillion-dollar package deal.

The consortium formally contacted the pair's manager, Khoder Nasser, last week expressing a desire to bring them to the NRL for their proposed entry in 2013.

Nasser, who also represents boxer Anthony Mundine, said both Sonny Bill Williams and Cooper would seriously weigh up a switch after this year's Rugby World Cup.

But the Brisbane consortium faces an uphill battle luring either of the pair. Salary cap constraints aside, the organisation has yet to secure an NRL licence and even if it did, any potential playing targets would need to find an alternative home for next season.
\
\
\
However, as the NRL is poised to make a call on expansion in coming months, the Brisbane consortium is leaving no stone unturned in its bid to become Queensland's fourth team.

Do you believe Quade Cooper or Sonny Bill Williams will sign an NRL contract in the future? Post your reply at the bottom of the page.

"We don't know whether we're in or not, but we have approached Quade and Sonny," Brisbane bid delegate Bill Rae said.

"We want Quade and Sonny Bill to get their World Cup campaigns out of the way first, but once that's done we'll up the ante for them. We've started talks with these guys and we want them on board.

"We're being realistic about this. At the moment we don't have an NRL licence and the New Zealand Rugby Union (to which Williams is contracted) will be hard to beat when it comes down to dollars.

"Because we don't have a history, we need some special talent to build the club from scratch and we'd love to see Quade and Sonny on our wall as the originals."

The Brisbane consortium may struggle to table a palatable offer for Williams, who rejected $2 million a season from French rugby side Toulon last year to sign with the NZRU.

But with the 25-year-old clear to resume his NRL career in 2013 - he is currently banned for the duration of the five-year Canterbury-Bankstown contract he walked out on in 2008 - the timing of Brisbane's planned entry could help bring Williams back to league.

Wallabies star Cooper remains a free agent for next season. The Reds are desperate to retain him, but Cooper has told close friends he wants to one day test himself in the NRL and had secret talks with Parramatta last August.

"I can confirm I have had an approach from the Brisbane bid team," Nasser said. "Of course (a return to league) is something Sonny will consider, he started his career playing rugby league.

"Quade has a phenomenal passing, running and kicking game, and this is a guy who has got 1m to play with."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-bid-consortium-for-second-brisbane-team-move-to-poach-sonny-bill-williams-and-quade-cooper/story-e6frf3ou-1226040376312

The only reason SBW should be allowed to rejoin NRL is if he is given as first option to the Bulldogs and if Bulldogs want him he MUST return to them . Same as Todd Carney and Greg Bird should of been with Raiders and Sharks once he had completed their penalties in the past .Then if they don't these players then can go to another club but only under those circumstances . Find out if they are after the money or to return to our great game

And talking of Quade Cooper if he does join NRL which state is he eligible for SOO. More than any other issue the Michael O'connor issue to be able to play for NSW instead of Qld was a bigger joke than Inglis for Qld instead of NSW the guy had been a Qlder even in representing union and only NSW connection was that his first game was for Saints

Quade Cooper continues to dominate teams week in and week out at the Reds.

Watch him take control and you'd be forgiven for thinking you were watching a game of League. He just absolutely tears teams apart using the exact same moves that players like Benji use.

just look at this vid from Saturday (Quade is wearing 10)
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/red-v-bul/video-e6frf4pu-1226040302884?subcat=1225914702813

@happy tiger said:
And talking of Quade Cooper if he does join NRL which state is he eligible for SOO. More than any other issue the Michael O'connor issue to be able to play for NSW instead of Qld was a bigger joke than Inglis for Qld instead of NSW the guy had been a Qlder even in representing union and only NSW connection was that his first game was for Saints

Michael O'Connor was from Canberra so even taking that line he was still a NSW player. Anyway the whole issue with Inglis was following the rules for eligibility.

@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:

Michael O'Connor was from Canberra so even taking that line he was still a NSW player. Anyway the whole issue with Inglis was following the rules for eligibility.

As a schoolboy Yoss as far as I know he played no grade union in ACT

LOL, That will be the day…
Don't get your hopes up, this won't happen.
I'm even doubting there will ever be a second Bris team.

On a side note, QLD reds are such a gun team.
Guys like of course, Quade Cooper, Digby Ioane, Will Chambers & Saia Fainga'a, such a beast team.

@happy tiger said:
@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:

Played for Canberra Royals.

If Khoder Nasser is involved then Anthony Mundine will be coach and they will play all their games in Queensland

@cktiger said:
If Khoder Nasser is involved then Anthony Mundine will be coach and they will play all their games in Queensland

They would miss the finals but only because every other team and the NRL are racists and rigged it that way.

@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:
@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:

I'm not doubting you Yoss but was sure he came straight from Schoolboys to Teachers Norths in Brisbane

@Yossarian said:
@cktiger said:

They would miss the finals but only because every other team and the NRL are racists and rigged it that way.

They'd make the grand final, but lose because they go for the try themselves and drop the ball rather than spin it wide where they have numbers. The next year they'd come out and say whoever beat them are undeserving premiers and proceed to have 70 put on them. Through sheer embarrassment the whole team would change sports.

@happy tiger said:
@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:
@Yossarian said:

I'm not doubting you Yoss but was sure he came straight from Schoolboys to Teachers Norths in Brisbane

According to Wikipedia he was 20 when he switched from Canberra Royals to Teachers Norths. I make no claim on the accuracy of that information though but it sounds right,

@Yossarian said:
@happy tiger said:
@Yossarian said:
[quote="happy tigerMichael O'Connor was from Canberra so even taking that line he was still a NSW player. Anyway the whole issue with Inglis was following the rules for eligibility.

]

According to Wikipedia he was 20 when he switched from Canberra Royals to Teachers Norths. I make no claim on the accuracy of that information though but it sounds right,
I'll have to check something later (going to work now) But sure i read that Wally Lewis 's last game of rugby union was with michael o'Connor in a trial Qld rep side with O'Connor against a senior side (may have been Qld senior side ) Just a touch hazy on that though Yoss . May have actually been the Aussie schoolboy side which would support your argument Yoss . Get back to you on that or if anyone else can shed some light ..

Back