Alcohol

More and more Doctors are recommending a glass of red wine per day to certain patients. I often have 2 to be sure I’m getting the correct level of resveratrol.
Richo recently likened the club to a reformed alcoholic I guess because those who were calling the shots (no pun intended) had a long hard look at the decisions they were making and the effect of those decisions, not only on themselves but others as well.

Reactions: BZN
Seems about right, well, depends how old you are. In my younger days it would be nothing to drink 2 slabs over a BBQ in 6-8hrs. In my 20s I'd down 6-8 pints a night after work at the pub in a few hours, go home and do it again the next day. In the 80s I got arrested in Spain for being publicly intoxicated after drinking 2 bottles of rum and 15 beers at a bar. Never paid the fine and skipped the country, not sure if I'm still wanted in Spain for an unpaid 10,000 peseta fine from 40 years ago :ROFLMAO:

Last time I drank (big one) was about a year ago and that was 5 beers and a few nips of rum and I was done for the night and felt it for a month afterwards. Drinking isn't an old mans game. I reckon once you hit 40 its over, the body cant process it like it used to.
My body definitely agrees with your sentiment that drinking isn’t an old man’s game. However, I have come across quite a few older people in my time who seem to have no problem downing a bit to drink without any seeming problems, and I mean really older people.

I went to my Aunt’s 90th birthday a couple of years ago and she happily downed about 6 glasses of wine in a couple of hours and was, by all accounts, fine the next day! Wine is more potent and heady than beer, if I did 6 glasses in one sitting now, I’d be dead lol. I also know another bloke around that same age who can still drink while playing cards with the best of them. They’re just a couple of examples, but I honestly don’t know how they do it. I’m 30 years their junior and usually feel seedy after having just a couple drinks these days.

My body definitely agrees with your sentiment that drinking isn’t an old man’s game. However, I have come across quite a few older people in my time who seem to have no problem downing a bit to drink without any seeming problems, and I mean really older people.

I went to my Aunt’s 90th birthday a couple of years ago and she happily downed about 6 glasses of wine in a couple of hours and was, by all accounts, fine the next day! Wine is more potent and heady than beer, if I did 6 glasses in one sitting now, I’d be dead lol. I also know another bloke around that same age who can still drink while playing cards with the best of them. They’re just a couple of examples, but I honestly don’t know how they do it. I’m 30 years their junior and usually feel seedy after having just a couple drinks these days.
Horses for courses mate, Ive met plenty of old bar flies over the years, getting their fix in for the day. My old grandma lived to be 103, she drank at least 3 cans of VB everyday with dinner, rain, hail or shine. The brand alone should have been enough to kill the old girl.

Horses for courses mate, Ive met plenty of old bar flies over the years, getting their fix in for the day. My old grandma lived to be 103, she drank at least 3 cans of VB everyday with dinner, rain, hail or shine. The brand alone should have been enough to kill the old girl.

She must have been a tough old girl because VB would kill a brown dog imho

I don’t really get hang overs so drinking has always been something I’ve done a lot of.
But any faster than 20mins per schooy is moving and after the first hour you will need to break the seal and once that’s done, it’s one schooy, one piss-stop.
But yeah 14 in one stint is considered a lot by most.
I have a thing where I never get addicted. I have, and still like to dabble in all sorts of mind bending fun. But if you get addicted you will have to get unaddicted, then once you do that you can never have that kind of fun again, what’s the point of that???
But I have a non addictive personality, and I have seen others not be able to handle it and I have watched them become an addict, trying to tell them it’s time for a break, but no.
So moral of the story is don’t get high, (stoned, or drunk), unless you’re strong willed and know when enough is enough.

14 schooners would be more than i have ever drank in a day,hope you are feeling fine tomorrow.Have a good weekend Odessa
Between my 12 and 14 I was Just starting to tell everyone how the Tigers will beat Penrith in the Grand Final fun times ahead

There must be some sort of regenerative properties within cat’s piss?

Geez I was worried I was drinking too much after a bottle of red over a couple of nights and 3 or 4 beers across the weekend. Maybe I’m being a bit of a worry wart

More and more Doctors are recommending a glass of red wine per day to certain patients. I often have 2 to be sure I’m getting the correct level of resveratrol.
Richo recently likened the club to a reformed alcoholic I guess because those who were calling the shots (no pun intended) had a long hard look at the decisions they were making and the effect of those decisions, not only on themselves but others as well.
I have listened to a few health podcasts in recent years who claim the whole red wine resveratrol thing is incorrect as the amount of red you’d need to consume to achieve the benefit would be impossible to consume. I’ve used the justification with the wife more than once, but it’s apparently a fallacy. Keen to understand the Doctors reasoning for the recommendation though.

I have listened to a few health podcasts in recent years who claim the whole red wine resveratrol thing is incorrect as the amount of red you’d need to consume to achieve the benefit would be impossible to consume. I’ve used the justification with the wife more than once, but it’s apparently a fallacy. Keen to understand the Doctors reasoning for the recommendation though.
But doctors know best…..

Is there some way you could convince your wife, we’re doing the right thing?

When I was an apprentice, one of my tradies drank a carton of throw downs every night after work.
He could really put them away…did it until his mid 50’s, when he suddenly died.
When I lived and worked in Switzerland I was up to on average 42 liters aweek and I was not even close to downing as much as the Germans I worked with I was way down on consumption

Latest posts

Members online

Back