Adblue - A looming Crisis?

FinestTigers

Until last month China supplied approximately 80 per cent of urea (AdBlue's active ingredient) sold in Australia, approximately 400,000 trucks are designed to use it, The AdBlue additive is estimated to reduce noxious nitrogen oxide emissions by approximately 90 per cent.

However the supply of this very important additive from China has been significantly disrupted due to China's reason being that the supply has been largely redirected to the agriculture sector for production of synthetic fertilisers.

I don't see this as a believable valid reason during a time of trade wars and even threats of a war by China.

This to me means that China has once again found a very simple and brutally effective way to threaten and damage the economy of Australia.

And when governments are spending millions and billions on talking and planning about national security and food security, then how is it that the government never thought about this type of security ie.the transport security? How is it that our government trusts only the one country China to supply us with 80% of Adblue that our trucks and buses rely on to deliver food, fuel, medicine and everything?

You just do not rely on the one country alone to supply you with what is an extremely important product. China has exposed once again the incompetency and the weaknesses of our foolish governments, and now they are running around like headless chooks in trying to prevent this looming crisis.

Reactions: BZN
Let's hope there isn't another looming crisis.
Realistically though, powerhouse China do whatever they want.

I work in the truck parts industry - people have been stocking up on Adblue like crazy 😂

• Wow
Yeah I've heard of this drama.for several weeks.
Why don't we produce this here?
We don't have the resources?
We don't have slave labour?
Really saddens me to see in so many ways how this country has sold its soul

@innsaneink said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518125) said:

I agree and well said mate,
Can you believe that a simple but an essential product like this could bring the country to a halt if an alternative supplier is not found soon?
And turning off the software in those vehicles that controls the function of adblue is really not an option.

It’s almost as if we produce nothing here anymore, we really have sold off the majority of our assets to the highest bidder, whose idea was this!

@finesttigers said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518132) said:

I agree and well said mate,
Can you believe that a simple but an essential product like this could bring the country to a halt if an alternative supplier is not found soon?
And turning off the software in those vehicles that controls the function of adblue is really not an option.

It will all be okay as "how good are utes" Morrison was happily talking up building a "giant ute" in Geelong during the week. Assuming it is intended to be some sort of gravestone to remember the car industry.

But hey, let's look on the bright side, they also gave China control of the Darwin Port so they can land their manufacturer's goods here and take our money whilst controlling the most strategic harbour bordering Asia.

Simple fix, remove the catalytic converter from your car /truck and have no need for your adblue tank. The result is your vehicle will blow some smoke but you can fix that with an additive.

We've got bugger all fuel reserves and the stupidity just goes on and on in the hope that somehow we will get by.

The lack of planning by our so called leaders is incredible.

Our politicians and us are all to blame. We killed manufacturing in Australia, because we didn’t want to work in these jobs and our governments didn’t want to subsidise them. We didn’t want bring in migrants because they are different and won’t adopt our culture. We wanted to buy expensive foreign made vehicles and cheap Asian made gadgets.

Easy answer is blame the government but we are as much to blame as them. Look in your garages and around your homes, how many Aussie made items do you have?

@tcl said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518172) said:
Our politicians and us are all to blame. We killed manufacturing in Australia, because we didn’t want to work in these jobs and our governments didn’t want to subsidise them. We didn’t want bring in migrants because they are different and won’t adopt our culture. We wanted to buy expensive foreign made vehicles and cheap Asian made gadgets.

Easy answer is blame the government but we are as much to blame as them. Look in your garages and around your homes, how many Aussie made items do you have?

I think it goes deeper than that...
The Lima declaration, where many countries agreed to send some industry off shore to help the third world countries.

Australia, in turn became weakened by helping out other countries.

Newcastle for example was known as the city of Steel, now its all done elsewhere.

One of the worst things the government every agreed on.

@twentyforty said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518138) said:
Simple fix, remove the catalytic converter from your car /truck and have no need for your adblue tank. The result is your vehicle will blow some smoke but you can fix that with an additive.

Mate, as it was evident with this pandemic the disturbing thing for me is that, despite the govt. spending billions of taxpayers money in consulting and planning for the security of this great nation, this govt. is not capable of preventing any type of crisis, they can only deal with a crisis and then act like hero's who have come to the rescue who then expect a reward for it by getting re-elected.

Your proposal is actually being considered by the govt. but this proposal will only create a different type of crisis, have you seen what some groups of people are saying about this proposal?

Report:
The Federal Government is considering allowing emissions-reducing technology in some diesel trucks to be switched off – if supply of AdBlue in Australia isn’t secured within weeks.

**The proposal has been strongly criticised by health and environment experts – as well as some groups within the trucking industry**.

A statement by the Truck Industry Council said in part: “These vehicle emission regulations are in place to protect the health of all Australians.

“**Untreated exhaust emissions can cause breathing problems, including asthma, headaches, eye irritation, loss of appetite, corroded teeth, chronically reduced lung function and cancer**"

I agree. I would love to see us start producing Solar Panels instead of feathering China,s nest,

@finesttigers said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518176) said:
@twentyforty said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518138) said:

Mate, as it was evident with this pandemic the disturbing thing for me is that, despite the govt. spending billions of taxpayers money in consulting and planning for the security of this great nation, this govt. is not capable of preventing any type of crisis, they can only deal with a crisis and then act like hero's who have come to the rescue who then expect a reward for it by getting re-elected.

Your proposal is actually being considered by the govt. but this proposal will only create a different type of crisis, have you seen what some groups of people are saying about this proposal?

Report:
The Federal Government is considering allowing emissions-reducing technology in some diesel trucks to be switched off – if supply of AdBlue in Australia isn’t secured within weeks.

**The proposal has been strongly criticised by health and environment experts – as well as some groups within the trucking industry**.

A statement by the Truck Industry Council said in part: “These vehicle emission regulations are in place to protect the health of all Australians.

“**Untreated exhaust emissions can cause breathing problems, including asthma, headaches, eye irritation, loss of appetite, corroded teeth, chronically reduced lung function and cancer**"

10 years ago the only adblue available was sold in 20lt containers from only Caltex fuel outlets.
I can agree with you that we are not keeping abreast of changing circumstances, but it’s no reason for the panic and hand wringing.
Australia is the biggest exporter, producer of Lithium rock. A key component in EVs. Why are we accepting money from China to advance the Lithium production? Only to send the Lithium to China. The Biden administration is also asleep.

Think we can put this down to the climate do Gooders, because they don’t want aust to have any industry , bloody green freaks

Probably both mate. Uncompetitive labour and we don't refine oil.

100% mate. Anyone who would bring back a nationalised car industry and petroleum refinery.

We didn’t want bring in migrants because they are different and won’t adopt our culture.

Quite the reverse. Bringing in migrants is now the business model. We used to boost GDP by exporting manufactured goods, now we boost GDP by importing people. Apartment construction and universities are dependent on it.

@jimmy said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518134) said:
It’s almost as if we produce nothing here anymore, we really have sold off the majority of our assets to the highest bidder, whose idea was this!

Globalisations

@gcfan said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518216) said:
@jimmy said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518134) said:

Globalisations

Correct and our Federal government have been watching this happen since i was a kid (i am now 68) with virtually nothing having been done by them to protect our industry even to the extent that if you ring up a call centre it is offshore.

@tilllindemann said in [Adblue \- A looming Crisis?](/post/1518207) said:
We didn’t want bring in migrants because they are different and won’t adopt our culture.

Quite the reverse. Bringing in migrants is now the business model. We used to boost GDP by exporting manufactured goods, now we boost GDP by importing people. Apartment construction and universities are dependent on it.

According to ABS in the fin year ending 2020 we had a net increase of 194k people from OS. 509k in to Australia 315k out of. Majority from the UK, India and China.

194k is significant. I couldn’t find how many of them are actually hitting the work force and are not students or family repatriation.

Is that enough to rebuild manufacturing or to stop sending production os? I don’t know, but what I do know is, I could buy a car, washing machine, vacuum cleaner, tv, radio, fridge, garlic……. made in Australia, made from raw materials mined in Australia, But now I can’t.

I’m not smart enough to know if this is good or bad economics, but i know from my age and reading about history that there are always greedy men and woman who covet what others have and if you don’t protect it then they will take it by hook or by crook.

Having a heavy dependence on foreign production is naive, shortsighted and a dare I say it serving self interests.

Latest posts

Back