Topics opening straight at the reply box

Beavis

When I view a thread, it always opens at the quick reply box, even when going to the 2 or subsequent pages, it doesn't open at the top of the page.

I've had a quick look to see how to remedy this, but haven't noticed anything glaringly obvious.
Is it a board setting, or a user setting?

It's not a setting… When you open a thread are clicking the thread title or the last post link?

If you click the last post link it will automatically take you to that post... Check the URL and if it has a "#12345" let me know (12345 might not be the actually numbers or text).

@Kaiser said:
It's not a setting… When you open a thread are clicking the thread title or the last post link?

If you click the last post link it will automatically take you to that post... Check the URL and if it has a "#12345" let me know (12345 might not be the actually numbers or text).

Hi Mike

I go in through "view new posts" and click on the topic link - and it opens in the reply box. Can be frustrating!!

And there are numbers in the URL.

Tigergran

The site is only acting as it should… It is actually taking you straight to the post via an anchor. While the quick reply might appear in the middle of the screen, the last post should start at the very top of the page.....

If it bothers you.. I'd suggest entering the thread by clicking the last page...

Sorry guys

@tigergran said:
@Kaiser said:

Hi Mike

I go in through "view new posts" and click on the topic link - and it opens in the reply box. Can be frustrating!!

And there are numbers in the URL.

Tigergran

Same as me TG,its a little annoying.

Hi guys

Found the solution!! :smiley:

Go to User Control Panel
then _Board Preferences_
then _Edit Display Options_
then _Display quick reply panel view_ - **Change to NO**.

Then the pages open at the top. :wahoo:

I have my post order as Descending, so the most recent post is at the top (because I check the site fairly often, there are not many messages to scroll down to my last read.)

Tigergran

I did find it a little annoying so have changed the settings via tigergrans options. However there is now no quick reply box. So I gather tigergrans option gives you the choice of having the quick reply box, which it than opens to. Does that mean you don't have the ability to open a topic, read it from the older posts to newer posts down and post a quick reply?

@Kaiser said:

Clicking the thread title, so, it's not acting as it should. (unless the thread title takes you to the bottom of the page)
If I were clicking the last post link, I wouldn't need to highlight it, as it would be doing as it was supposed to do.

And that still doesn't explain when going to the next page. If on a multi page thread, I read page X, then down the bottom of that page, i go to page y, but it goes directly to the bottom of page y, not the top.

Hi everyone

I have the settings so that the newest post is at the top - and then all I have to do is Post Reply or click on Quote on the post I would want to quote.
I find that better than having the page open at the bottom.

Tigergran

Hi everyone

Just means I have to scroll down a few posts - but I am on line most of the time and check regularly. If I only checked every couple of days or so (or even only daily) then it could be a bit of a pain.
Just what you get used to, I guess.

Tigergran

Thanks TG…...that is soooooo much better,you are a star.

I thought ladies over 30 were computer illierate???

@simonthetiger said:
Thanks TG…...that is soooooo much better,you are a star.

I thought ladies over 30 were computer illierate???

Hi Simon

Not this one - I am one groovy granny!!

Tigergran

@Beavis said:
Clicking the thread title, so, it's not acting as it should. (unless the thread title takes you to the bottom of the page)
If I were clicking the last post link, I wouldn't need to highlight it, as it would be doing as it was supposed to do.

And that still doesn't explain when going to the next page. If on a multi page thread, I read page X, then down the bottom of that page, i go to page y, but it goes directly to the bottom of page y, not the top.

Ok… When you click the thread title do numbers appear at the end of the url after a hash character (#)?

Also, can people with this problem please tell me the Browser and version they are using… I'm having problems trying to replicate the problem. Also i need to know whether there is a #pxxxxxx (replace x with numbers) at the end of the URL.

Sorry about this everyone...

Hi Kaiser

I use IE8, and yes, there are numbers at the end of the URL.

(I'm happy with how it is now - and don't see it as a problem any more.)

Tigergran

@Kaiser said:
@Beavis said:

Ok… When you click the thread title do numbers appear at the end of the url after a hash character (#)?

On the title thread at the board index numbers…32217#p32217..... and it jumps to the last post

I disabled the quick reply box....still opens at last post......

Using view latest post..

Nope......... the word "unread" does....but it still jumps to the last post in the thread.....

As I've said twice already, I am clicking the thread title.
[![](http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/beavis_181/th_Titleclickdisplay-1.jpg)](http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/beavis_181/?action=view¤t=Titleclickdisplay-1.jpg)

And I have just changed 2 settings in the board preferences tab, edit display options.

[![](http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/beavis_181/th_From.jpg)](http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/beavis_181/?action=view¤t=From.jpg)
Was the default..

To :
[![](http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/beavis_181/th_To.jpg)](http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/beavis_181/?action=view¤t=To.jpg)

And it appears properly now, staying at the top of the thread and the first post, but it wasn't a setting, so what do I know.
Browsers FF 3.5.3 and Explorer 7.

Latest posts

Staff online

Back