Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

I've been a big critic of Ilias as a half, but I think he could become a very good 14. He straightens the attack better then every half in the comp, defends strongly and will only get bigger. Therefore I think he could cover a short stint at 9 when Api needs a break then play some 13 at stages of a game. He would straighten and free up our halves as good as anyone really. Just don't give him a role that requires kicking and he could be effective.
it's a fair school of thought but right now I'm more than content with having either Latu, Tallyn or Heath Mason as our 14. ideally Mason. he's probably the player best suited moving forward.

I've been a big critic of Ilias as a half, but I think he could become a very good 14. He straightens the attack better then every half in the comp, defends strongly and will only get bigger. Therefore I think he could cover a short stint at 9 when Api needs a break then play some 13 at stages of a game. He would straighten and free up our halves as good as anyone really. Just don't give him a role that requires kicking and he could be effective.
Fair shout on Ilias as a 13.

He's 6'0, 92/93kg, a good front-on defender, can pass both ways and is a genuine running threat.

The more I mull this over, the more I think it's an idea with merit.....

would love for us to chase Jack Williams. covers middle and back row and is beginning to hit his straps. surely something has to give at Cronulla with AFB coming along and Hamlin-Uele staying put?
Yeah I've been on his bandwagon too. Be a great bench forward for us plus he leads the way in the gym at the Sharks so would be a good training influence for our young guys.

A name I'll throw out there for left wing next season (depending how Alaimalo goes) is Tim Lafai:

- will only want a 2 year contract to finish his career back in the NRL (however is still contracted to Salford for another year).
- brings experience, ok speed, good yardage eater, good defence.
- Was in World Cup 22 team of the tournament (centre) from Samoa & has good rapport with Luai.

He'd be a culture recruit & not blocking our pathways guys.

Yeah I've been on his bandwagon too. Be a great bench forward for us plus he leads the way in the gym at the Sharks so would be a good training influence for our young guys.

A name I'll throw out there for left wing next season (depending how Alaimalo goes) is Tim Lafai:

- will only want a 2 year contract to finish his career back in the NRL (however is still contracted to Salford for another year).
- brings experience, ok speed, good yardage eater, good defence.
- Was in World Cup 22 team of the tournament (centre) from Samoa & has good rapport with Luai.

He'd be a culture recruit & not blocking our pathways guys.
agree on Williams but can't get around Lafai mate I'm sorry. Daniel Tupou would be the ideal candidate.

agree on Williams but can't get around Lafai mate I'm sorry. Daniel Tupou would be the ideal candidate.
I would prefer Daniel Tupou too but no way he leaves the Roosters (and surely they will extend him given the amound of players they are losing in the backs).

I just can't find a viable & better option for left wing than who we currently have who is either off-contract or potentially could be released due to log-jam at current club & would want to leave.

Cotric - just don't think he'll leave Canberra.
Bostock - we can only hope but doubt Phins let him go.
Valemei - too many errors in his game
Skelton - maybe, but is right-sided & would block pathways

Edrick Lee on a 1 year contract anyone? That's why I think Lafai can add value for his experience, team culture factor & is a decent player!

Anti-tampering rules aside, Brisbane are going to struggle to keep their squad together. This isn't the 90s when Brisbane could flout the salary cap with impunity. They've already lost Farnsworth and Flegler and more will follow. Unfortunately, most departing players will go to other Qld teams.
Brisbane know how ro maximise their third part sponsorship of players.

legalised cheating

I would prefer Daniel Tupou too but no way he leaves the Roosters (and surely they will extend him given the amound of players they are losing in the backs).

I just can't find a viable & better option for left wing than who we currently have who is either off-contract or potentially could be released due to log-jam at current club & would want to leave.

Edrick Lee on a 1 year contract anyone? That's why I think Lafai can add value for his experience, team culture factor & is a decent player!
Cotric and Skelton are probably the likeliest out of all of them. I'd be looking into Simonsson as well.

Cotric will have no choice other than to leave Canberra as it’s perfect clear they don’t want him.
Bostock contracted to Phil’s for 2025, they won’t let him go.
Vakenai good for yardage Carrie’s and a good finisher, but mistakes are a concern.
Skelton is the one I’d be going hard for, what pathways would he block as we don’t have any big, strong & fast wingers in the horizon.
Someone else mentioned Blake Wilson from the Bulkdogs and although contracted to them for 2025, I agree he looks like a definite NRL winger who cannot get a regular start with the Bulldogs, he’s be a good fit for us.

Cotric will have no choice other than to leave Canberra as it’s perfect clear they don’t want him.
Bostock contracted to Phil’s for 2025, they won’t let him go.
Vakenai good for yardage Carrie’s and a good finisher, but mistakes are a concern.
Skelton is the one I’d be going hard for, what pathways would he block as we don’t have any big, strong & fast wingers in the horizon.
Someone else mentioned Blake Wilson from the Bulkdogs and although contracted to them for 2025, I agree he looks like a definite NRL winger who cannot get a regular start with the Bulldogs, he’s be a good fit for us.
there's definitely a couple at the Bulldogs worth chasing. Wilson and Skelton would be wise additions.

Close.

I said I don't care if you didn't wish to present a counter argument.

I'm not personally affronted or snarky. I'm responding succinctly.

The issue was that it wasn't a counter opinion, that would be something like 'Ilias may not be a good fit for lock because of x, y, z.'

You actually replied directly to me, so it's not a stretch to glean that you may have been aiming your comment at me.

On my radar, this isn't a tiresome topic, I haven't noticed it occurring ad nauseum, moreso the odd suggestion. Which is all this was. I was originally agreeing that I thought it wasn't a bad suggestion.... in a position we're empty in.... in the suggestions thread.

Bottom line, you sniped my comment from the stands, then suggested I'm personally offended because I backed up my reasoning as to why I though it wasn't a bad idea.

That's it.
Wrong. You were affronted for telling my comment was lazy, you don’t care etc etc.

He’s contracted till the end of 26. What are they gonna say?
Don’t sign anything till we’re allowed to talk bcoz we are gunna table you one hell of an offer and by the way we win games and GFs. 🤷‍♂️
Do you reckon they are gunna bide by the rules and say nothing?
Has any player in history ever come forward and said X club tabled me a massive offer before the deadline? And then the NRL penalise club X?

Staff online

Back