Rule Changes You'd Like Implemented

Efforts by RL HQ to even up the competition like they do in the NFL.

1. Player Draft
2. Teams who finish higher up get a tougher schedule the following year
3. Player salaries above 500K are public
4. Kick the Roosters and Storm out (cheating scum)
Love it. Yes to all of the above.

In another thread the topic of a player going off for a his was discussed a little, and it made me think of a couple of rules I think would make the game better.

I know there's a thread for 2023 rule changes, but think this is objective... And likely not to be introduced in 2023!

I've only got 3. Apologies for repeating myself, but I'll paste my hia one too.

1. The HIA injustice!

If a player has to go off for a hia and an offender is placed on report, the offender should have to leave the field for the same amount of time as the player hit - with his team then left with 3 on the bench until the result of the hia - same as the team whose player was hit.

If the hia is failed, the offending player can't play the rest of the game either and, if found guilty, he also at least can't play the next week.

None of this early plea, play the next week when the concussed player can't. I don't think that's fair.
I agree with this first one, or take the offender off for at least 15 minutes whilst the player is being assessed. Because there will be legitimate circumstances where a player is concussed by accident, even if the play is deemed illegal, and perhaps the offender should not be rubbed out the whole match.

Because being placed on report technically means the refs are asking the match review panel to double-check the incident (i.e. not interrupt the match to assess it), they are not saying that the incident is definitely going to result in a ban or fine.

re #3 kickoffs - I don't believe NRL ever tried this, but Super League did? From what I read about attempts, it didn't stop landslides against bad teams, because the issue became that the attacking side kicked off deep, the rubbish side could not promote the football out of their end, and the better side simply took possession back closer to their try line and continue to score.

Even for rubbish sides, you aren't supposed to be able to march 100 m downfield and score every time you touch the ball, so kicking off can actually be a territorial advantage, because you are technically taking a tactical kick (long hang time with zero pressure) from the 50m line.

Bombs caught on the full by the defending team inside the attacking 20m should be allowed to be brought back to the 40m line for a restart. Unfortunately it stops the flow of play but it is the only rule that will help eradicate this overpoweringly boring new style of footy where ends of sets are just monotonous bomb after bomb...kick and hope. It's garbage.
Rugby League is a game designed for tries to be scored through the hands, not 80 minutes of 5th tackle bombs. Leave that sort of lottery football to the AFL.

In another thread the topic of a player going off for a his was discussed a little, and it made me think of a couple of rules I think would make the game better.

I know there's a thread for 2023 rule changes, but think this is objective... And likely not to be introduced in 2023!

I've only got 3. Apologies for repeating myself, but I'll paste my hia one too.

1. The HIA injustice!

If a player has to go off for a hia and an offender is placed on report, the offender should have to leave the field for the same amount of time as the player hit - with his team then left with 3 on the bench until the result of the hia - same as the team whose player was hit.

If the hia is failed, the offending player can't play the rest of the game either and, if found guilty, he also at least can't play the next week.

None of this early plea, play the next week when the concussed player can't. I don't think that's fair.

2. STOP THE CLOCK!

This one drives me crazy.

I think that once a try is scored, or a penalty kick is taken, the clock should stop and not restart until the kick off.

The kicker still has a time limit to take the conversion (they can't take forever to rest, etc!), but no game time elapses.

As it is, I have no idea why sometimes the clock stops, sometimes it doesn't, it stops in the last 5 minutes, but it doesn't.... Just stop the thing!

3. Restart after a score.

I liked it better when the scoring team kicked off.

Theoretically, a team could go an entire game touching the ball just once; at either the start kick off or the second half kick off.

The way the tigers are playing, I think they could possibly make history as the only team to ever touch the ball just once in an entire game.

Imagine.... Start of the game. Opposition kicks off. Tigers drop it (probably Laurie!).

Bam! Opposition scores try after try; then receive the ball to start the second half and the tigers never touch the ball for the rest of the game.

It could happen!!! šŸ¤£
I always found it weird that a player can deliberately injure another and get less of a penalty.

Your HIA rule makes perfect sense.
Also start 5m not 10m back. It would lessen a lot of headknocks. I love League, but I hate Altzheimers.

Efforts by RL HQ to even up the competition like they do in the NFL.

1. Player Draft
2. Teams who finish higher up get a tougher schedule the following year
3. Player salaries above 500K are public
4. Kick the Roosters and Storm out (cheating scum)
What about Pawa they got caught cheating.

I agree with this first one, or take the offender off for at least 15 minutes whilst the player is being assessed. Because there will be legitimate circumstances where a player is concussed by accident, even if the play is deemed illegal, and perhaps the offender should not be rubbed out the whole match.

Because being placed on report technically means the refs are asking the match review panel to double-check the incident (i.e. not interrupt the match to assess it), they are not saying that the incident is definitely going to result in a ban or fine.

re #3 kickoffs - I don't believe NRL ever tried this, but Super League did? From what I read about attempts, it didn't stop landslides against bad teams, because the issue became that the attacking side kicked off deep, the rubbish side could not promote the football out of their end, and the better side simply took possession back closer to their try line and continue to score.

Even for rubbish sides, you aren't supposed to be able to march 100 m downfield and score every time you touch the ball, so kicking off can actually be a territorial advantage, because you are technically taking a tactical kick (long hang time with zero pressure) from the 50m line.
Good points.

It was Super League, and I did think about the field position of the team scored against. Maybe there's a reason they didn't keep that one!

Mentioning the competitive ruck in the golden era brought flashbacks...ref had more responsiblity because no technology. Refs were in there yelling at 'em and not coping shit and the phuck up got penalised. It was apart of 'setting the platform' the ref marked his territory.

Im getting so sick of going to the video and in the replay seeing a chicken fed fairy on the sideline staring at a boot, on the line, then saying go get chicken. Dont start me on all the other shit that I see.

As for rule changes im sorry but everyone has almost lost it :) Having said that draft sounds ok, never understood it and stopping the clock is something my mate and i almost get hernia about. Why is the clock still going when the balls not in play? Who is keeping time anyway, does anyone know? Hope it not bunker.

I rekon the ref needs less chicken.

Last edited:
11 players per side with no halves, position of CEO made redundant and all board appointments subject to member vote with three year terms.

In order of priority and sorry if some repeat;

1. Find a way to get rid of the wrestle.
2. Tries resulting from forward passes are able to be challenged by defending team.
3. Scoring team kicks off.
4. In Golden Point, the wining team gets two points, the loser one.
5. Fewer points for tries scored from kicks, i.e. 3 points compared to 4. Consider more points for tries scored from inside own half, other than from intercepts or blocked kicks. 5 points?
6. Insist that forwards pack in the scrum.
7. Players who catch bombs in the field of play cannot be forced into the in goal. It's not fair that spectacular and brave takes result in drop outs.
8. Players can no longer be gang tackled and forced over the sideline.

In order of priority and sorry if some repeat;

1. Find a way to get rid of the wrestle.
2. Tries resulting from forward passes are able to be challenged by defending team.
3. Scoring team kicks off.
4. In Golden Point, the wining team gets two points, the loser one.
5. Fewer points for tries scored from kicks, i.e. 3 points compared to 4. Consider more points for tries scored from inside own half, other than from intercepts or blocked kicks. 5 points?
6. Insist that forwards pack in the scrum.
7. Players who catch bombs in the field of play cannot be forced into the in goal. It's not fair that spectacular and brave takes result in drop outs.
8. Players can no longer be gang tackled and forced over the sideline.
Love number 8.
Drives me crazy. Seems like only on these tackles the ref takes an eternity to call held. It also makes it hard to be a small winger.

That footage of Tallis dragging Hodgo over the line makes me angry! šŸ˜”

Love number 8.
Drives me crazy. Seems like only on these tackles the ref takes an eternity to call held. It also makes it hard to be a small winger.

That footage of Tallis dragging Hodgo over the line makes me angry! šŸ˜”
The time the ref takes to call held in these instances varies greatly depending on which teams are playing.

Scrums. I'm not advocating for a rule change here, simply fix the "interpretations". Some of them are a joke.

The rules are very clear, loose arms binding, ball in the middle etc, halfback must retire.

I know they went away from the strict interpretation of the rules to stop the mountain of penalties; however, it has gone too far. I get they want fast flowing footy for TV but the pendulum has swung too far. If you want to really have open paly off the pack of the scrum - make them put their heads in there and bind. Make the half retire to the back of the scrum after the feed.

I'm not sure why one team doesn't think out of the box and put an almighty shove on when the ball comes in to destabilise the oppositions set play - the rules allow it. Must be some bullshit "interpretation".

Sure in the 70's and 80's the boys is white took it too far the other way with their interpretation of the rules. The over technical approach rugby union has taken is also too far. I'm sure that they could set up a working group to develop a new set of rules that takes the scrum from being a joke and a blight on the game and transform it into a great part of the game.

The number of scrums has already been limited so how about once again making it a competition but having rules that enable it.

Even today the interpretations could be exploited. I would love to see the ball come to the back of the scrum and the "lock" pick it up and go straight through the centre - almost guaranteed to score. Burrowing through the scrum is still in the rules and they pack so loose and break so quickly you could make it form the 20m line. Simply stack one side and shape to bring the fullback into the line with bodies in motion and crack em wide open. Would be a great spectacle!

There's so much to talk about when it comes to this. Going back and looking how things where I reckon helps...otherwise I've implemented a no beer Thursday rule, too old....maybe Friday too otherwise posts will quickly go sideways and between the rules, the chicken, the bunker, tiges board and the coach I'll b looking at 10 weeks.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if the defending kicker has a dropout and it doesn't go ten, then the attacking team can still catch the ball and play on, not touch the ball and give a penalty away to the defending team for not hitting their obligations....
Man we find interesting ways to lose games.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if the defending kicker has a dropout and it doesn't go ten, then the attacking team can still catch the ball and play on, not touch the ball and give a penalty away to the defending team for not hitting their obligations....
Man we find interesting ways to lose games.
Love it!

I'd be putting someone unstoppable near the line right on the 10m line for dropouts.

That's a really good change. šŸ˜

I'd like the Tigers start with 40 points and see if they can still hold onto a victory.

It would be about 50:50

Back