Rugby Union

Ok thanks, being Newy born I left and came to Sydney at a young age but in the late 70s after a marriage breakup and messy divorce I moved back, living at Bar Beach and drinking at the Prince of Wales pub at Mereweather. Met a few MC boys there and went to a few games, even pulled on the boots for the Greens 7th grade ( I think). Top blokes and a top rugby club.
Know nothing about Wildfires but pity to hear local comp somewhat decimated but pleased to hear MC still going. Ah more great memories.
I am a Newcastle boy who has migrated to Sydney also. I played for Wanderers, still a fantastic rivalry between the two clubs. They play a game on Anzac Day each year and often get 3-5000 turning up to watch. Some of the great pubs/watering holes in Merewether, I love going back

I’m
I am a Newcastle boy who has migrated to Sydney also. I played for Wanderers, still a fantastic rivalry between the two clubs. They play a game on Anzac Day each year and often get 3-5000 turning up to watch. Some of the great pubs/watering holes in Merewether, I love going back
Pity my wife’s birthday on Anzac Day( and we now live in Melbourne) otherwise it sounds like a bucket list day out.
I actually haven’t been to Newy for 6 years. Look forward to going back, one day.

But wait.
There's more.
The 2023 David Brockhoff Medal Coach of the Year is West Harbour's own Cam Treloar.

View attachment 6190
Cam's first year as a Shute Shield coach was excellent - a very level headed coach with good rapport with the players. He will continue to grow as a coach over the next few years. He has a good support crew behind him which helps a lot.

The Pirates as a club had a much better season fielding teams in all grades, colts and a womens team this year. The club continues to develop fine players at all levels with four players this year playing at international level with Allan Alaalatoa captaining Australia against Italy. Another 3 players from the club played super rugby and another 3 are currently trialling with super rugby teams.

But the highlight for me was 4th grade - that hadn't had a win in 4 years but managed to get 4 wins and a draw this year and finished 9th on the ladder.

The culture of the club continues to be its strength with good people from all walks of live playing, coaching and volunteering. It is what rugby league used to be like back in the 70's. A beer with the 1st grade boys after the game and singing the team song

Cam's first year as a Shute Shield coach was excellent - a very level headed coach with good rapport with the players. He will continue to grow as a coach over the next few years. He has a good support crew behind him which helps a lot.

The Pirates as a club had a much better season fielding teams in all grades, colts and a womens team this year. The club continues to develop fine players at all levels with four players this year playing at international level with Allan Alaalatoa captaining Australia against Italy. Another 3 players from the club played super rugby and another 3 are currently trialling with super rugby teams.

But the highlight for me was 4th grade - that hadn't had a win in 4 years but managed to get 4 wins and a draw this year and finished 9th on the ladder.

The culture of the club continues to be its strength with good people from all walks of live playing, coaching and volunteering. It is what rugby league used to be like back in the 70's. A beer with the 1st grade boys after the game and singing the team song
You can't do anything without Culture, every club needs this to progress. In all codes i believe.
I was lucky enough to play at a descent level in rugby, and i have to say the best teams i played for always had and promoted the clubs Culture.

Just an update on the Newcastle rugby union semi's.
Maitland finished 1st, played M/Carlton finished 2nd, Carlton won 23 - 22.
Wanderers finished 3rd, played University finished 4th, Wanderers won 29 - 28.
University are now out.
M/Carlton go straight to the grand final, Maitland play Wanderers on Saturday to see who will play Carlton in the G.F .

Just an update on the Newcastle rugby union semi's.
Maitland finished 1st, played M/Carlton finished 2nd, Carlton won 23 - 22.
Wanderers finished 3rd, played University finished 4th, Wanderers won 29 - 28.
University are now out.
M/Carlton go straight to the grand final, Maitland play Wanderers on Saturday to see who will play Carlton in the G.F .
Go the M/C Greens !! ( assuming they still play in Green).

Newcastle rugby union update
In 1st grade the final will be…M/Carlton v’s Maitland.
Also just to let you know since you are a old greens member they are are in all 3 grades 👍

Newcastle rugby union Grand Final results
1st grade
Maitland 32 - M/Carlton 26
Wanderers won 2nd Grade
Southern Beaches won 3rd Grade
The greens lost all 3 grades

And just a moment about the Shute Shield G/F for 2023 - Congratulations to Randwick - 2023 Shute Shield Winners - 17-15.

(I still live in hope for the West Harbour Pirates to get there one day.)

1693104500917.jpeg

Meanwhile, Eddie's boys still doing it tough; this will be the Wallabies' loss number 5 since he came back on board.

1693187394454.jpeg

Back