Rugby league history

My 4th grade PE teacher in 1989, Michael Pobjie. When some players still had a day job.

View attachment 11116
He owned Prouds Home improvements, I think it was? I did some R and R cladding jobs, then some decks and pergolas type stuff for him. But he was a shonk, to me anyway. Tried to to pay me peanuts for uncontractual stuff, I was young and I reckon he was trying it on. I probably would’ve done the same just not as harsh. I moved on and was getting paid double and his project manager rang to tried and get me back.
I can say one thing, he never once big noted about his football days and aside from being a hard arse with money he seemed like a decent bloke.

Another decent old (sorry Neil), footballer I met is Neil Baker, played 5/8 for bunnies and riff back in the 80 - 90’s. Before the $$$ came in. Was a good player to watch. Real nice bloke, never big notes his footy days but will have a chat about it, he is a good listen. Works as a sales rep of building materials on the north coast.

He owned Prouds Home improvements, I think it was? I did some R and R cladding jobs, then some decks and pergolas type stuff for him. But he was a shonk, to me anyway. Tried to to pay me peanuts for uncontractual stuff, I was young and I reckon he was trying it on. I probably would’ve done the same just not as harsh. I moved on and was getting paid double and his project manager rang to tried and get me back.
I can say one thing, he never once big noted about his football days and aside from being a hard arse with money he seemed like a decent bloke.
I just looked it up, and you're right. He was a decent bloke and a good PE teacher from what I remember, and he had a decent career at Souths,... not so much with the Tigs.

Back when (1) the half back put the ball into the cavity in the middle of the scrum where the hookers could have a go and (2) when the packs each pushed as hard as hell:

1711801693313.jpeg

My 4th grade PE teacher in 1989, Michael Pobjie. When some players still had a day job.

View attachment 11116
That's interesting.

I had two PE teachers in 1964, one of whom played for Balmain - Jack Danzey. He played 5/8 in the 1964 GF. Copped a bit of a ribbing from the boys the following week at school.

The other was Gary Knoke. In that year he represented Australia in the final of the 400 meter hurdles at the Tokyo Olympics.

As you say, in the old days athletes had to work full time to support themselves.

That's interesting.

I had two PE teachers in 1964, one of whom played for Balmain - Jack Danzey. He played 5/8 in the 1964 GF. Copped a bit of a ribbing from the boys the following week at school.

The other was Gary Knoke. In that year he represented Australia in the final of the 400 meter hurdles at the Tokyo Olympics.

As you say, in the old days athletes had to work full time to support themselves.
I remember Danzey well and after retirement as a player became a leading referee doing many NRL games, some rep and finals games but never a GF.

Back