@krammy said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408647) said:
@elleryhanley said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408469) said:
JAC = topliner = Dogs
Burton = topliner = Dogs
TPJ = topliner = Dogs

Tamou = cheaper option / washed up= us.
Maumolo = cheaper option / good, but lacks speed or class = us
SuA = cheaper option, solid, but lots of flaws = maybe us

Well, if we want to stay where we are and not add any X factor / elite players, we are doing it right...mediocrity.

Sometimes you need to roll the dice and for a few hundred grand more we might have landed all three.

If people think Hartigan and Madge have a plan, that is good.

But it is going to be a very, very slow one at this rate.

It seems Madge is staying. OK, so then a lot of my hope rests on changes that Sheens can bring. I hope Madge is open to Sheen's ideas because clearly players from other teams see us as a basket case at the moment. Fresh ideas, more than anything, is needed to get this club out of this quagmire that we appear to be in.

You don’t think they have been having conversations already?

Probably have. As Sheens learns more when he arrives, there may be some more difficult conversations to be had. Hopefully they are and can stay on the same page.

Why do you think that? It would be advice and ideas only. Maguire won't be reporting to Sheens.

JAC = topliner = Dogs
Burton = topliner = Dogs
TPJ = topliner = Dogs

Well, if we want to stay where we are and not add any X factor / elite players, we are doing it right...mediocrity.

Sometimes you need to roll the dice and for a few hundred grand more we might have landed all three.

It seems Madge is staying. OK, so then a lot of my hope rests on changes that Sheens can bring. I hope Madge is open to Sheen's ideas because clearly players from other teams see us as a basket case at the moment. Fresh ideas, more than anything, is needed to get this club out of this quagmire that we appear to be in.

Madge is staying...but not sure how long IMO.

If we lose to the Broncs and Dogs upcoming, you would have to imagine that would be it.

@mike said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409015) said:
@krammy said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409012) said:
@mike said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408755) said:
JAC = topliner = Dogs
Burton = topliner = Dogs
TPJ = topliner = Dogs

Probably have. As Sheens learns more when he arrives, there may be some more difficult conversations to be had. Hopefully they are and can stay on the same page.

Why do you think that? It would be advice and ideas only. Maguire won't be reporting to Sheens.

I guess what I'm hoping for is a relationship based on respect and the fact that Sheens is thought of highly, in general, in the Rugby League world. It would be Madge's interest to listen to Sheens, particularly as nothing seems to be working currently with regards to success in the NRL squad.

@krammy said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409019) said:
@mike said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409015) said:
@krammy said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409012) said:
@mike said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408755) said:
JAC = topliner = Dogs
Burton = topliner = Dogs
TPJ = topliner = Dogs

I guess what I'm hoping for is a relationship based on respect and the fact that Sheens is thought of highly, in general, in the Rugby League world. It would be Madge's interest to listen to Sheens, particularly as nothing seems to be working currently with regards to success in the NRL squad.

I’m confident Maguire has the greatest respect for Sheens and already values his input.,

@needaname said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408943) said:
@jrtiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408909) said:
slowly but surely turned the roster over to be far more superior (on paper) to what we had in 2019 with some talent that will bear fruit in the next two years.

This statement resonates with me the most.
Madge arrived in 2019 with the same roster Ivan assembled which most would agree was an experienced / aging roster so a limited premiership window.
The year before our key playmaker is rated officially as halfback of the year. Whether you agree or not it still happened. That season with that in mind, the team still achieves 9th. There was limited growth in any of the side and a very United committed cultural but they still couldn’t get it done.
Next year Madge’s first in charge. He gets the same Roster to 9th again. Brooks form didn’t drop, statistically he had a better year and was voted as the best player in the club. Matters on was valuable pick up and grew with us and in my opinion has not had anywhere near the same impact in a better side at Parramatta.
So alas the writing was on the wall 9th twice with two different coaches and 2 spine players in his best form for many seasons (Marshall and Farah) and the other consistently in good form (Brooks).
This is why we have started another rebuild, the window was closing and the team was far from a premiership contender.
It’s short term gain for much longer term gain.

That's a really good post.

@tilllindemann said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409029) said:
slowly but surely turned the roster over to be far more superior (on paper) to what we had in 2019 with some talent that will bear fruit in the next two years.

Madge arrived in 2019 with the same roster Ivan assembled which most would agree was an experienced / aging roster so a limited premiership window.
The year before our key playmaker is rated officially as halfback of the year. Whether you agree or not it still happened. That season with that in mind, the team still achieves 9th. There was limited growth in any of the side and a very United committed cultural but they still couldn’t get it done.
Next year Madge’s first in charge. He gets the same Roster to 9th again. Brooks form didn’t drop, statistically he had a better year and was voted as the best player in the club. Matters on was valuable pick up and grew with us and in my opinion has not had anywhere near the same impact in a better side at Parramatta.
So alas the writing was on the wall 9th twice with two different coaches and 2 spine players in his best form for many seasons (Marshall and Farah) and the other consistently in good form (Brooks).
This is why we have started another rebuild, the window was closing and the team was far from a premiership contender.
It’s short term gain for much longer term gain.

That's a really good post.

Thanks, although on review there are many errors I need to tidy up.

@avocadoontoast said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408890) said:
@jirskyr said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408889) said:
@cochise said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408884) said:
@jirskyr said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408875) said:
@avocadoontoast said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1408864) said:
Our recruitment for next year has been pretty underwhelming, I don’t think anyone would deny that.

I think recruitment is underwhelming in the hope (surely not the expectation) that Tigers sign big-branded players, to get us out of our mess.

I personally never thought that was going to happen, even though I know we have some cap coming free, I don't see the market having much decent cattle just now. I know Tigers are saving pennies, having spoken to Adam Hartigan a few times, I understood what Tigers strategy is.

The whole angst in this thread is about why Tigers aren't signing Pangai, after initial reports we were close. And this is despite almost everyone agreeing that the proposed selling price was excessive, and despite a general reporting in the media that Tigers were front-runners, there are folks very quick to criticise Tigers for not signing a potentially over-priced, known unreliable/risky player.

I think it's reflective of an impatient and unrealistic set of supporters, though I understand why everyone is greedy for a quick fix / quick dose of positive. I personally think only hard work and keeping strict on our long-term roster strategy will yield results. This is based not on some expertise, but on the experience of what the Tigers have tried in the past. The only time we've ever tried to keep a coach on for more than 3 years we did win a comp and make the finals a few times.

But then for folks to say "but but Bulldogs are signing these players" - well yeah, they are, and it's getting them nowhere. Of course, you would expect at least one of their signatures will come good at some point, be it JAC or Burton. But I think to parachute a half into a bad side with bad deficiencies - won't turn out any better I don't think than having Flanagan there or Luke Brooks.

This isn't specifically directed at you, I just jumped on the comment about how bad Bulldogs are.

Interestingly we won the comp in his 2nd year you could argue that we kept him long term because he was successful and not that we were successful because we kept him long term. Though 2010 and 11 support your argument better.

My argument is actually - that I think most coaches need a 5-year cycle to achieve their targets, if they are going to be achieved. There are particularly exceptional coaches (a handful) that get early success and keep it basically ongoing, but they are very rare.

But most coaches have a 5-year cycle of up and down. Some of the better coaches can limit it to 3-years, e.g. Hasler, Bennett.

Tigers haven't given a coach 5 years since Sheens, and Sheens also displayed the 5-year cycle. Cleary probably would have been given 5 years had he chosen to stay. So I don't believe we can fully evaluate Madge until he's had that 5 years.

This isn't to say Madge is going to get the job done - I have serious doubts. But I don't think we have alternatives, not just to give him a decent tenure, but that the backup coach options are ordinary.

Seriously - some people spruiking on here that the next best move would be to sign Flanagan, a recidivist cheat, or Morris, the coach a finals failure team decided to cut loose in favour of a novice. Let's not talk up the Sharks, Morris' two years they limped into the finals (including 2019 when they knocked us out of the race Round 25) and were knocked out first round both times. Shark's finals campaigns since 2016 are 1 W 5 L - not that I wouldn't take it as a Tigers fan, but not a good record.

I long for being knocked out of the first week of the finals.

I'd live in a little shoe box in the middle of a busy highway just to make the 8

The year before our key playmaker is rated officially as halfback of the year. Whether you agree or not it still happened. That season with that in mind, the team still achieves 9th. There was limited growth in any of the side and a very United committed culture but they still couldn’t get it done.
Next year Madge’s first in charge. He gets the same Roster to 9th again. Brooks form didn’t drop, statistically he had a better year and was voted as the best player in the club. Matterson was a valuable pick up and grew with us and in my opinion has not had anywhere near the same impact in a better side at Parramatta.
So alas the writing was on the wall 9th twice with two different coaches and 2 spine players in their best form out of many previous seasons (Marshall and Farah) and the other consistently in good form (Brooks).
It’s short term pain for much longer term gain.

Yeah but as usual and an attempt to win fans over brought Marshall and Farah back ....both in real terms were epic failures as it pushed us to where we are now ..... instead of pushing towards the future we were stuck in the past ...someone like Gamble wasn't really given an opportunity ..and now in an even worse side looks to have a bit of promise

So now we are stuck with Hastings a player going backwards leading a side to their worst season in how many years in a League that is a step down from ours ......

I'd even get up half and hour before I went to bed to see us play in a semi-final.

@mort said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409122) said:
I'd even get up half and hour before I went to bed to see us play in a semi-final.

Never enough Monty Python in the world .....lol

@happy_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409119) said:

The year before our key playmaker is rated officially as halfback of the year. Whether you agree or not it still happened. That season with that in mind, the team still achieves 9th. There was limited growth in any of the side and a very United committed culture but they still couldn’t get it done.
Next year Madge’s first in charge. He gets the same Roster to 9th again. Brooks form didn’t drop, statistically he had a better year and was voted as the best player in the club. Matterson was a valuable pick up and grew with us and in my opinion has not had anywhere near the same impact in a better side at Parramatta.
So alas the writing was on the wall 9th twice with two different coaches and 2 spine players in their best form out of many previous seasons (Marshall and Farah) and the other consistently in good form (Brooks).

Yeah but as usual and an attempt to win fans over brought Marshall and Farah back ....both in real terms were epic failures as it pushed us to where we are now ..... instead of pushing towards the future we were stuck in the past ...someone like Gamble wasn't really given an opportunity ..and now in an even worse side looks to have a bit of promise

So now we are stuck with Hastings a player going backwards leading a side to their worst season in how many years in a League that is a step down from ours ......

Didn’t we get rid of Marshall so that we could play douhie at 6? And yet we are playing mbye there. I think there’s little doubt if douhie isn’t the long term 6 then we would be better with Marshall still at 6 and douhie in centres.

@tigertownsfs said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409126) said:

Didn’t we get rid of Marshall so that we could play douhie at 6? And yet we are playing mbye there. I think there’s little doubt if douhie isn’t the long term 6 then we would be better with Marshall still at 6 and douhie in centres.

We had about 20 reasons to get rid of Marshall .....

@happy_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409125) said:
Never enough Monty Python in the world …lol

Agreed. I feel we need to get The Spanish Inquisition (which nobody would suspect) to investigate the real reason Weststigers don't make the Finals more regularly.

@mort said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409147) said:
@happy_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409125) said:
Never enough Monty Python in the world …lol

Agreed. I feel we need to get The Spanish Inquisition (which nobody would suspect) to investigate the real reason Weststigers don't make the Finals more regularly.

Your a good man Mort ..why don't we see you on here more regularly ......

Didn’t **we** get rid of Marshall so that we could play douhie at 6? And yet we are playing mbye there. I think there’s little doubt if douhie isn’t the long term 6 then we would be better with Marshall still at 6 and douhie in centres.

You do realise that the "we" in your statement, was this forum saying it, surely we would expect the players will pay where he coach sees as is the best fit for the team.

The Marshal retention is dead and buried and will never resurface?

@tigerwest said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409152) said:

Didn’t **we** get rid of Marshall so that we could play douhie at 6? And yet we are playing mbye there. I think there’s little doubt if douhie isn’t the long term 6 then we would be better with Marshall still at 6 and douhie in centres.

You do realise that the "we" in your statement, was this forum saying it, surely we would expect the players will pay where he coach sees as is the best fit for the team.

The Marshal retention is dead and buried and will never resurface?

True but I tend to remember Brooks talking about now that Benji was gone it was his team etc etc and there was talk in the preseason from the club about douhie was training at 6 etc.

Our recruitment for next year has been pretty underwhelming, I don’t think anyone would deny that.

I think recruitment is underwhelming in the hope (surely not the expectation) that Tigers sign big-branded players, to get us out of our mess.

I personally never thought that was going to happen, even though I know we have some cap coming free, I don't see the market having much decent cattle just now. I know Tigers are saving pennies, having spoken to Adam Hartigan a few times, I understood what Tigers strategy is.

The whole angst in this thread is about why Tigers aren't signing Pangai, after initial reports we were close. And this is despite almost everyone agreeing that the proposed selling price was excessive, and despite a general reporting in the media that Tigers were front-runners, there are folks very quick to criticise Tigers for not signing a potentially over-priced, known unreliable/risky player.

I think it's reflective of an impatient and unrealistic set of supporters, though I understand why everyone is greedy for a quick fix / quick dose of positive. I personally think only hard work and keeping strict on our long-term roster strategy will yield results. This is based not on some expertise, but on the experience of what the Tigers have tried in the past. The only time we've ever tried to keep a coach on for more than 3 years we did win a comp and make the finals a few times.

But then for folks to say "but but Bulldogs are signing these players" - well yeah, they are, and it's getting them nowhere. Of course, you would expect at least one of their signatures will come good at some point, be it JAC or Burton. But I think to parachute a half into a bad side with bad deficiencies - won't turn out any better I don't think than having Flanagan there or Luke Brooks.

This isn't specifically directed at you, I just jumped on the comment about how bad Bulldogs are.

Interestingly we won the comp in his 2nd year you could argue that we kept him long term because he was successful and not that we were successful because we kept him long term. Though 2010 and 11 support your argument better.

My argument is actually - that I think most coaches need a 5-year cycle to achieve their targets, if they are going to be achieved. There are particularly exceptional coaches (a handful) that get early success and keep it basically ongoing, but they are very rare.

But most coaches have a 5-year cycle of up and down. Some of the better coaches can limit it to 3-years, e.g. Hasler, Bennett.

Tigers haven't given a coach 5 years since Sheens, and Sheens also displayed the 5-year cycle. Cleary probably would have been given 5 years had he chosen to stay. So I don't believe we can fully evaluate Madge until he's had that 5 years.

This isn't to say Madge is going to get the job done - I have serious doubts. But I don't think we have alternatives, not just to give him a decent tenure, but that the backup coach options are ordinary.

Last club Madge coached he displayed that 5-year cycle, but it did include a premiership and several consecutive years of finals. Clearly he knows how to do it, same as Ivan Cleary is capable of coaching a minor premiership side, even if he doesn't do it regularly.

And not to mention that Madge still the only man in 50 years to both get Souths to a Grand Final, and win one.

Seriously - some people spruiking on here that the next best move would be to sign Flanagan, a recidivist cheat, or Morris, the coach a finals failure team decided to cut loose in favour of a novice. Let's not talk up the Sharks, Morris' two years they limped into the finals (including 2019 when they knocked us out of the race Round 25) and were knocked out first round both times. Shark's finals campaigns since 2016 are 1 W 5 L - not that I wouldn't take it as a Tigers fan, but not a good record.

Sheens had an average age of 23 in 2005 from memory ...we didn't need a new window .....by 2008 he should have been recruiting some size in his packs ...not going backwards and turning backs into forwards ....

@happy_tiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1409167) said:

Last club Madge coached he displayed that 5-year cycle, but it did include a premiership and several consecutive years of finals. Clearly he knows how to do it, same as Ivan Cleary is capable of coaching a minor premiership side, even if he doesn't do it regularly.

And not to mention that Madge still the only man in 50 years to both get Souths to a Grand Final, and win one.

Sheens had an average age of 23 in 2005 from memory ...we didn't need a new window .....by 2008 he should have been recruiting some size in his packs ...not going backwards and turning backs into forwards ....

Yeah but the 2005 style of football that we perfected was over-run by the swarming umbrella defences of later seasons. The wrestle became more dominant.

2009 Tigers were a genuine finals contender but we lost some key matches, then fell to the ascendant Eels under Jarryd Hayne's miracle form. They proved it by coming Top 4 in 2010.

It’s not surprising we didn’t land Pangai jr after Walters saying he can go if a club gives him a better offer. He was still arguing with the club about his $100k TPA. So it’s not surprising also to hear chairman Lee say WT never made an offer.
You can’t sign a player without making an offer. 😂

Back in for tpj apparently. Can't access article. https://twitter.com/MCarayannis/status/1413060563580588033?s=19

Latest posts

Staff online

Back