Pangai Junior

Why is this thread even still a thing? The bloke isn't coming to the Tigers we all should move on and forget about him.

@wounded_magpie said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423643) said:
Willie Mason now claiming some credit for TPJ signing with the Dogs.
Told TPJ to avoid the Tigers and Dragons if he ever wanted to play finals or rep footy again .
Clearly Mason must have missed Joffa and Stef being in state squads this year.
Gee I hope we sneak into the 8 this year and just stick it to those who continue to “death ride” us

Maybe he is still upset from when we rebuked him all those years ago.
He missed the mark with rep footy but hard to blame him for commenting on the finals.

@hammertime said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1422915) said:
@demps said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1422913) said:
@hammertime said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1422911) said:
That's twice now the dogs have gotten the better of us in negotiations. They seem to come in late and land the signature.

I honestly think we need a shake up at CEO level. Something needs to change.

Still don't have a decent 9 and they have Dufty their fullback ... for 1 years.

Re-signing a lot of their dud players too.
Terrible spine.

They've managed to squeeze in a lot of good signatures. Cotric, JAC, Burton, TPJ... They're doing better than us.

But the bigger issue is that TPJ and JAC BOTH had tigers as their preference originally. How the heck we botched them is beyond me.

Maybe they were lying. Have you thought of that.

@hammertime said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423135) said:
@russell said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1422918) said:
That's twice now the dogs have gotten the better of us in negotiations. They seem to come in late and land the signature.

What has the CEO got to do with it?

He's part of the team involved in the negotiations. Particularly at the end and he sets up the structure and team involved. He's in charge of press releases/leaks from the club, which has been diabolical. He lost the "big 3" too. There is something happening at the tail end of the deals which is losing the guys. They seem to want to be on board during those initial chats with Madge or Hartigan.

I've seen first hand his delivery challenges. Remember all those articles and videos that we're going to be "reoccurring updates", then they drop off. The CEO update, the weekly videos.

I even had a chat to him about leaving a significant donation in my will to the club (6 figures). He promised he would get back to me. Never did.

What I see is a real inability to execute to the end. Talk up front is strong, but then gets lazy. It's reflected in his lazy appearance.

I've actually been supporter of him in the past. But the evidence is piling up.

Totally disagree that he is the reason we don't sign guys we go after or is responsible for losing the so called "Big 3"

He is not the coach or responsible for recruitment imo.

@russell said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423709) said:
@hammertime said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423135) said:

He's part of the team involved in the negotiations. Particularly at the end and he sets up the structure and team involved. He's in charge of press releases/leaks from the club, which has been diabolical. He lost the "big 3" too. There is something happening at the tail end of the deals which is losing the guys. They seem to want to be on board during those initial chats with Madge or Hartigan.

I've seen first hand his delivery challenges. Remember all those articles and videos that we're going to be "reoccurring updates", then they drop off. The CEO update, the weekly videos.

I even had a chat to him about leaving a significant donation in my will to the club (6 figures). He promised he would get back to me. Never did.

What I see is a real inability to execute to the end. Talk up front is strong, but then gets lazy. It's reflected in his lazy appearance.

I've actually been supporter of him in the past. But the evidence is piling up.

Totally disagree that he is the reason we don't sign guys we go after or is responsible for losing the so called "Big 3"

He is not the coach or responsible for recruitment imo.

What are you talking about? He's in the recruitment team (they have 4 I think?) and personally hires every member of the team.

He would be the direct reporting manager for all of them.

@bagnf05 said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1422938) said:

Should be nothing.

Trouble is he meddles in recruitment and puts his name on all the press releases. Also calls himself the boss.

I’d like to know what Riccio wrote in the DT about the reasons we didn’t sign Pangai?

Well here’s the thing about TPJ. Leaving aside that he’s spending a couple of months with the Pennies, his three options (stay at Brisbane, us or the Dogs) were arguably the weakest clubs in the comp right now. And that says a lot I think. You didn’t see clubs like Melbourne or Souths (where his ex mentor is) even raise their eyes over their newspapers.

The reason is that he has a reputation as someone who is disruptive and underperforming. Anyone signing him takes a massive risk. He’s arguably in a similar position to BJ before he came to us. Penrith clearly think for a short time it’s low risk, high potential payout. He might lift with a finals campaign and if he doesn’t they can easily cover him. Whether he gives the same effort for us or the Dogs week in week out over 3 years is questionable.

@yossarian said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423883) said:
Well here’s the thing about TPJ. Leaving aside that he’s spending a couple of months with the Pennies, his three options (stay at Brisbane, us or the Dogs) were arguably the weakest clubs in the comp right now. And that says a lot I think. You didn’t see clubs like Melbourne or Souths (where his ex mentor is) even raise their eyes over their newspapers.

The reason is that he has a reputation as someone who is disruptive and underperforming. Anyone signing him takes a massive risk. He’s arguably in a similar position to BJ before he came to us. Penrith clearly think for a short time it’s low risk, high potential payout. He might lift with a finals campaign and if he doesn’t they can easily cover him. Whether he gives the same effort for us or the Dogs week in week out over 3 years is questionable.

100% agree Yoss, stated as much quite a while back - I have lost zero winks over it

It's a good point. He'd long been linked to the Roosters for whatever reason, but Robinson was pretty strident in his words:
*“No, he won’t be at the Roosters,”
“I don’t know what’s going on up there but we’ve worked really hard - as you can see - for the type of player that we want.
“And he’s not going to fit that mould.”*

@garryowen said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423949) said:

It's a good point. He'd long been linked to the Roosters for whatever reason, but Robinson was pretty strident in his words:
*“No, he won’t be at the Roosters,”
“I don’t know what’s going on up there but we’ve worked really hard - as you can see - for the type of player that we want.
“**And he’s not going to fit that mould**.”*

I believe Lee and Uncle Nick are good mates? Maybe they talked about him, because that last line sounds similar to what was reported that Lee had said?

dead set against him coming here ,but after his speech,dammit,sink or swim 4 him now,a good move 2 go 2 penrith,blow d cobwebs n start anew

As much as some people are disappointed that TPJ is going to the dogs,I would rather we look at developing our juniors or if a reliable ,consistent player comes on the market and we show some interest I would be happy with that...

@truetiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423987) said:
As much as some people are disappointed that TPJ is going to the dogs,I would rather we look at developing our juniors or if a reliable ,consistent player comes on the market and we show some interest I would be happy with that...

It is possible to do both.

@gnr4life said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423994) said:
@truetiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1423987) said:

It is possible to do both.

We need to do both but juniors are the area we get the best bang for our buck.

@the_patriot said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1420641) said:
@jadtiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1420542) said:
@the_patriot said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1420538) said:
@jadtiger said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1420532) said:
@voice_of_reason said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1420516) said:
Bulldogs will either crash and burn or gel and threaten.

It's impossible to tell which it will be, but I'm hoping for the former.

The more you spend on overpaying elite players the less you have for the players that hold the club together.They will have a very unbalanced squad for the next few years.Injuries and suspensions will hurt them worse than any other club.They will contending for the spoon again

Works for Manly.

But the dogs aren't Manly

Manly would only have DCE on overs the dogs will have far more on overs than that

The more you spend on overpaying elite players the less you have for the players that hold the club together.They will have a very unbalanced squad for the next few years.Injuries and suspensions will hurt them worse than any other club.They will contending for the spoon again

Works for Manly.

Manly would only have DCE on overs the dogs will have far more on overs than that

No Manly have one of the most lopsided top end rosters in the league. Their roster is about ,8 players. The rest are bit players.

Yes and it works.
You get DCE, a million dollar half.
Marty Taupau, who was a good steal from us and has become far more powerful at Manly.
Tom and Jake.

When you ensure that your Club top 5 are top 20 players, your team wins.

Cleary, in hiring the current tigers team, really went for a Big 21... i really dont know if top, top talent was getable, i.e. Latrell or james Maloney (who was probably regarded as close to Reynolds at the time. We were a club that was going to spend a few years fighting off last place.

We see the thinking was wrong.
You top players, are TOP players.
It was Newcastle's strategy, Manly and Easts do this too. 2/3 teams this pays off massively.

Get the TOP talent, even if we overpay, as opposed to mid range talent which hevk we overpay for anyway.

@crazycat said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1429682) said:

Works for Manly.

Works for Manly.

No Manly have one of the most lopsided top end rosters in the league. Their roster is about ,8 players. The rest are bit players.

Yes and it works.
Marty Taupau, who was a good steal from us and has become far more powerful at Manly.
Tom and Jake.

Cleary, in hiring the current tigers team, really went for a Big 21... i really dont know if top, top talent was getable, i.e. Latrell or james Maloney (who was probably regarded as close to Reynolds at the time. We were a club that was going to spend a few years fighting off last place.

It was Newcastle's strategy, Manly and Easts do this too. 2/3 teams this pays off massively.

Get the TOP talent, even if we overpay, as opposed to mid range talent which hevk we overpay for anyway.

You do need to have the right top 20 players though.

Put all of Bulldogs big contracts in a list with all the top 100 players and only JAC would be up there.
Unless he makes a real fist of fullback it would be extremely hard for him to have that much impact from one wing.

With Manly, Knights, Easts.
They players you are implying are in game controlling positions.

@needaname said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1429701) said:
@crazycat said in [Pangai Junior](/post/1429682) said:

Works for Manly.

Works for Manly.

Yes and it works.
Tom and Jake.

You do need to have the right top 20 players though.

Put all of Bulldogs big contracts in a list with all the top 100 players and only JAC would be up there.
Unless he makes a real fist of fullback it would be extremely hard for him to have that much impact from one wing.

With Manly, Knights, Easts.
They players you are implying are in game controlling positions.

Yes and no.
Next year we will see if Pangai is actually up there or just a name.
Matt Burton, likewise Next year. He has sometimes succeeded at Penrith, sometimes floundered but he is a young player.

That being said, the Dogs got JAC for 600K (or 500K) which was a really good price. I don't know if they are a good example. Compared with say Easts/Manly who direct their cap at 5 players. Newcastle seem to buy their forwards at the 1million mark, Klemmer, Frizzle, etc. Would we be better offering TPG 700k or Daniel Saifiti 1Mil to come here?

I reckon it's a lot harder to make an Average player exceptional then a poor player Average.

Members online

Back