Onitoni Large

Onitoni Large has played 5/8 for Wests Harold Matthews over the last 2 seasons, but had a season ending injury earlier this season.
He’s made a big impression and dominating playing as a centre in GPS rugby union last season.
Highlights reel show him scoring plenty of tries and plenty of line breaks with his electric speed and powerful balanced ball running.
As Balmain Boy has alluded to, he barely ran the ball in his couple of games for Wests Harold Matthews earlier this season, therefore it’s highly likely he’d be wasted as a playmaker and would be more suited to in my opinion fullback, if not centre.
The reason why most believe he can transition from a schoolboy rugby star into an NRL star is purely based on him being a freak athlete with a good strong physical presence and game intelligence to go with it.
Makasini is a big, strong, powerful left sided centre or winger who is very hard to
handle one on one and scores plenty of tries because if it,
Wow

So the guy plays 5/8 in the Junior grades... so must be a "Half" when he starts with us.
Not Center where we are still DYING for quality, Yes Olam has been a massive boost but there are two centers.
Not Wing.
Not even Fullback is looked into with Bula shifting to the wing.

A guy who plays Union, suddenly has to be our next great "Half". Just please... We would probably demand Jarryd Hayne play halfback or 5/8 if he signed here in his prime!

Wow

So the guy plays 5/8 in the Junior grades... so must be a "Half" when he starts with us.
Not Center where we are still DYING for quality, Yes Olam has been a massive boost but there are two centers.
Not Wing.
Not even Fullback is looked into with Bula shifting to the wing.

A guy who plays Union, suddenly has to be our next great "Half". Just please... We would probably demand Jarryd Hayne play halfback or 5/8 if he signed here in his prime!
This. When teddy entered grade, he was playing on the flanks. One of the best FBs to play the modern game.

We need to start looking at kids playing in the spine positions to bring that to the centres.

Teddy debuted at fullback , then did his knee . He played on the wing to ease him back into first grade
Yep, Teddy and Nofo were swapped around a couple of times in the lower grades where it was established that Teddy was a fullback.

Teddy debuted at fullback , then did his knee . He played on the wing to ease him back into first grade
100% correct!

And I doubt he would have returned on the wing for the first three games of 2012 if Sheens had remained coach - that was under Potter who retained Moltzen at FB for three losses...

If you look at some of Potter's selections you can see why he has not been a fulltime head coach since!

Came in here to hear about the kid leaving possibly now I really want to watch Tedesco career highlights🥲

I might add that the rumour isn't that he's left the club, merely that the Large family are unhappy with something at the club and that his future might lay elsewhere. If what they are unhappy about can be rectified then there's no drama.
He's not due to play another league match for another 9 months or so in any case so there's still plenty of time for things to unfold.
100% correct there are a lot of rumours. I don't think any player under the age of 17 going on 18 in their first possible playing season, should be offered any Top 30 placement. But I think the bulk of our kids should be offered development deals to secure them at the club.

The issue with offering Top 30 deals when they aren't ready is it severely weakens clubs depth. The jury is still out on a number of deals handed out to kids like Jordan Miller and Kit and Luke Lualili. Its a gamble and at the moment, right now it looks like on Galvin is on the fast trajectory and the all the rest past and present are a calculated gamble. Kids like Makasini and Large have size on their side at 16 the gap will close well and truly when it gets to Ball and Flegg. Jordan Miller was a giant at 15/16 now most club have kids bigger, stronger, fitter, faster than him so the investment looks like its backfired.

They are worth the investment but the balancing act is keeping their player agents happy not the kids because the player agent wants to clip the 6-8% ticket and the sooner they get a Top 30 deal the sooner the agent gets paid. The NRL need to adopt reform like the AFL to sop agents holding a club to ransom. You cant really blame the club because when a kid leaves because the agent to trigger happy to be paid they cop it either way, from the agent or the fans dependent on what occurs.

100% correct there are a lot of rumours. I don't think any player under the age of 17 going on 18 in their first possible playing season, should be offered any Top 30 placement. But I think the bulk of our kids should be offered development deals to secure them at the club.

The issue with offering Top 30 deals when they aren't ready is it severely weakens clubs depth. The jury is still out on a number of deals handed out to kids like Jordan Miller and Kit and Luke Lualili. Its a gamble and at the moment, right now it looks like on Galvin is on the fast trajectory and the all the rest past and present are a calculated gamble. Kids like Makasini and Large have size on their side at 16 the gap will close well and truly when it gets to Ball and Flegg. Jordan Miller was a giant at 15/16 now most club have kids bigger, stronger, fitter, faster than him so the investment looks like its backfired.

They are worth the investment but the balancing act is keeping their player agents happy not the kids because the player agent wants to clip the 6-8% ticket and the sooner they get a Top 30 deal the sooner the agent gets paid. The NRL need to adopt reform like the AFL to sop agents holding a club to ransom. You cant really blame the club because when a kid leaves because the agent to trigger happy to be paid they cop it either way, from the agent or the fans dependent on what occurs.
Whilst I don't disagree with most of what you've said here, regarding Miller; he is tracking very well.

Whilst others might be clearly fitter, for a middle who's just turned 19, he's doing quite well against full grown men in KOE, albeit in limited minutes. I also don't know how much bigger or stronger you'd want, he's 6'3 and was 131kg in the off season....

Don’t know what’s true or false but if the kids parents are pushing one way and club is looking at another , move him on , you can’t have parents involved as once you let one set of parents interfere you will get more , junior sport is full of it ( my little Johnny is a gun Fullback / Centre / Halfback etc ) I don’t care how good he is you can’t buckle to them

Whilst I don't disagree with most of what you've said here, regarding Miller; he is tracking very well.

Whilst others might be clearly fitter, for a middle who's just turned 19, he's doing quite well against full grown men in KOE, albeit in limited minutes. I also don't know how much bigger or stronger you'd want, he's 6'3 and was 131kg in the off season....
The koe game is on foxtel

KOE game on foxtel next sat 3.05 that should give any of Millers progress.Sorry if any mistakes my diabetes is raging at the moment.

I might add that the rumour isn't that he's left the club, merely that the Large family are unhappy with something at the club and that his future might lay elsewhere. If what they are unhappy about can be rectified then there's no drama.
He's not due to play another league match for another 9 months or so in any case so there's still plenty of time for things to unfold.
Would it be beneficial for him and the club if he is asked to train 1-2 days aweek with the NRL side do some weight training as well if anything to build a bond to the club but as most things in life I think it comes down to money offer him the 30 spot if you think he is going to be that good put him on a 6 year contract offer him 200K for the first 4 years and 300K for the last two take a risk

Would it be beneficial for him and the club if he is asked to train 1-2 days aweek with the NRL side do some weight training as well if anything to build a bond to the club but as most things in life I think it comes down to money offer him the 30 spot if you think he is going to be that good put him on a 6 year contract offer him 200K for the first 4 years and 300K for the last two take a risk
I’m not saying he should be offered this amount, but Joseph Suali’i was contacted at 750k per season before he had played NRL.
With all the incentive deals thrown into contracts there days, it wouldn’t be too hard to weight his contract based on performance.

Well said regarding Miller. No one is expecting him to play NRL this year. He has done well off the bench in Cup which ia further than I thought he would have been at this point of the season. Really excited about his prospects moving forward!

He already was doing training with the NRL side before his injury.

Don’t know what’s true or false but if the kids parents are pushing one way and club is looking at another , move him on , you can’t have parents involved as once you let one set of parents interfere you will get more , junior sport is full of it ( my little Johnny is a gun Fullback / Centre / Halfback etc ) I don’t care how good he is you can’t buckle to them
Yeah - sounds familiar...

1713842670049.png1713842720396.png
What a wanker!

Yep, Teddys father is a piece of shit.
Stoking a relationship with parents like him when their kids are starting out is very important.
I thought his dad was the real catalyst for teddy leaving … ie. massive roosters fan , and wanted him anywhere but here . Hence the raiders “move” then the final roosters move once they came calling .
Not much loyalty there….

He already was doing training with the NRL side before his injury.
Is the Large family from out C-town way ?
For a million reasons the tigers just really failed to resonate with the Polynesians kids out there . Look at Israel Folau . How he need up everywhere but the tigers is ridiculous to be honest …. Same with Hoffman although not Polynesian .
Is TDS the better hooker prospect out of the two between him and the younger large ?

He's 16, injured and at school. He can't train with the first grade squad for some time, but he did in the off season. Not much more we can do in that regard. We also can't guarantee who's going to be in what position in 18 months time.

Latest posts

Back