Building resilience in NRL teams

Keep telling yourself it’s all professional nowadays mate, and played by robots.

The same robots Brayden was thinking about as he drove home buzzed on Monday morning.
Dopiest comment yet!

Not saying it IS all professional - BUT that it SHOULD BE!!

And that is what the court will decide - but an undisclosed settlement will also prove my point!

Attachments

• 1714136814063.png
    1714136814063.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Where will you find all the perfect people to play and run footy in the future? The Catholic Church?

Where will you find all the perfect people to play and run footy in the future? The Catholic Church?
Yeah - great call....

And weak - not quoting for your reply so you get a free shot!

You don't need to be a PERFECT person to not abuse or inflict undue suffering on subordinates in any industry!

Just decent professional people who understand their duty of care in a commercial high-performance envioronment!

As for the Catholics etc - have you been living under a rock for decades??

Yeah - great call....

And weak - not quoting for your reply so you get a free shot!

You don't need to be a PERFECT person to not abuse or inflict undue suffering on subordinates in any industry!

Just decent professional people who understand their duty of care in a commercial high-performance envioronment!

As for the Catholics etc - have you been living under a rock for decades??

obviously your sarcasm sensor is off when you get too worked up.

Big breakfast on the day of the game too, possibly involving steak, but most certainly involving half kilo of bacon and a couple of eggs.
Doubt I'd be moving too well (if at all) after 500gm of bacon

I remember one day at work maybe a decade ago... I had a bacon egg roll, beef mushroom pie,. Apple turnover with cream and a can of coke... Makes me feel crook just thinking about it and I wasn't much good for the rest of the day

Good quality steak on the other hand wouldn't have been a problem

Old footy players prided themselves on being tough. But some of today's crew noticed that playing the victim has its benefits, either in publicity or cash. Once it would have been embarrassing for a player to feign injury like soccer players or to whine about incidents after the match, but now it's seen as good strategy.

Presumably Topine's lawyers have worked out that he can make good bucks from this claim. He better enjoy the payout because not too many clubs will want to risk morale or legal cases with a known claims chaser.

Still, its damn stupid to have players blindfolded by cliffs or in the ocean. It's one thing to make a late player do extra tough exercise for 15 minutes, as Dogs did with Topine ... a whole other thing to risk a player's life.

Old footy players prided themselves on being tough. But some of today's crew noticed that playing the victim has its benefits, either in publicity or cash. Once it would have been embarrassing for a player to feign injury like soccer players or to whine about incidents after the match, but now it's seen as good strategy.

Presumably Topine's lawyers have worked out that he can make good bucks from this claim. He better enjoy the payout because not too many clubs will want to risk morale or legal cases with a known claims chaser.

Still, its damn stupid to have players blindfolded by cliffs or in the ocean. It's one thing to make a late player do extra tough exercise for 15 minutes, as Dogs did with Topine ... a whole other thing to risk a player's life.
Being tough and creating a tough culture is one thing, but putting a player at physical and mental risk in what is a work environment is another.

We're living in 2024, not 1924.

Being tough and creating a tough culture is one thing, but putting a player at physical and mental risk in what is a work environment is another.

We're living in 2024, not 1924.
Agree, but at the same time it’s difficult to understand how any of those punishments/activities can reduce a professional body contact sportsman from continuing in his occupation?

Agree, but at the same time it’s difficult to understand how any of those punishments/activities can reduce a professional body contact sportsman from continuing in his occupation?
There have been certain ideas and practices where breaking down a persons body and mind will make them stronger. But I don't agree with that because everyone is different.

I believe in knowledge that improves performance and mental strength and offers an athlete to make decisions based on their skill level, body type and daily behaviour.

Reactions: BZN
There have been certain ideas and practices where breaking down a persons body and mind will make them stronger. But I don't agree with that because everyone is different.

I believe in knowledge that improves performance and mental strength and offers an athlete to make decisions based on their skill level, body type and daily behaviour.
I am sure plenty on here have heard a coach/trainer explain that when you miss an assignment or take a shortcut on a footy field it’s your mate you are letting down. Generally you work on this in training by doing additional penalties at training when an expectation is not met. Happens in nearly every program I would think, practicing discipline like you practice your set plays.

Last edited:

I don’t know that it’s a matter of breaking a person. I think the goal is to make a person uncomfortable and while in that state be able to make decisions which are skillfully executed? It’s similar in a way but not the same as military training where the abuse, both physical and emotionally is designed to have you instinctively follow orders when stressed. For many years science has acknowledged the phenomenon of muscle memory, but only more recently found that the brain has similar adaptability which allows it to grow relative to necessity.

Doubt I'd be moving too well (if at all) after 500gm of bacon

I remember one day at work maybe a decade ago... I had a bacon egg roll, beef mushroom pie,. Apple turnover with cream and a can of coke... Makes me feel crook just thinking about it and I wasn't much good for the rest of the day

Good quality steak on the other hand wouldn't have been a problem
As an apprentice I would smash that for lunch, but I would have already had a pie for breakfast and a B and E roll and a cake for morning tea, than hamburger and chips for lunch and each of those meals had a 750ml of coke (in the glass bottle). But I was building shite every day, doing 600 sit ups every morning, after work I was hitting weights or running or swimming up and down a black line.
And dinner was big. And then at about 9pm I’d had a snack of dinner leftovers with dessert. But it takes a bit for to put on weight, I can do it if I’m lazy and eat lots of crap food. But I can’t eat like that anymore and even less after the recent ops, they reckon I need to be careful of over eating but I feel hungry all the time. I have finally got to my first goal weight, now have to try and put some muscle back on. I love an apple turnover with cream and bacon.

• Love
Reactions: BZN
I don’t know that it’s a matter of breaking a person. I think the goal is to make a person uncomfortable and while in that state be able to make decisions which are skillfully executed? It’s similar in a way but not the same as military training where the abuse, both physical and emotionally is designed to have you instinctively follow orders when stressed. For many years science has acknowledged the phenomenon of muscle memory, but only more recently found that the brain has similar adaptability which allows it to grow relative to necessity.
Terrific reply.

That's the issue. All combat sports require exercises that push people to their limits. Is that to be stopped?

Terrific reply.

That's the issue. All combat sports require exercises that push people to their limits. Is that to be stopped?
I think one of the main reasons for this training is to work against the fight or flight type of mentality which occurs under stress. We often hear commentators excusing it for fatigue or brain explosion etc. It was interesting last week to hear James Fisher Harris interviewed after their come from behind win. "We just did what we do and got the win." Is it possible that they are so conditioned that it happens without conscience forethought or effort?
The game is about winning and evolving to that end.

Terrific reply.

Going forward athletes will probably need to sign a waiver accepting that they are going to be placed outside their comfort zone, and unfortunately that comes with a level of risk (like the sport itself).

Last edited:
Dopiest comment yet!

Not saying it IS all professional - BUT that it SHOULD BE!!

And that is what the court will decide - but an undisclosed settlement will also prove my point!
Jez.

The guy was agreeing with you and you say this stuff?

I work in IT, you want to know what we think of people in suits? Answer: Can't do.

Why Professional=Tough, tortorious training. That's exactly how kids break these days. "My parents made me swim 2 kilometers each day, now my muscles have atrophied".

Ciraldo does not understand the difference between "Hard" and "Break". Which explains why were landing players and the Dogs are not. Madge trained us hard, and after awhile the players stopped responding. Sheens trained us Buttersoft and we sucked. Benji gets there is a balance and the challenge for Benji is getting the balance right.

Latest posts

Back