Building resilience in NRL teams

Nobody will ever convince me that beers don’t play a strong part in team building. Barriers come down, stronger connections are formed, people make memories enjoying each others company and that transfers into more care for one another when the chips are down. Just because it’s old school doesn’t mean it’s wrong. Beats horse riding too.
What about walking barefoot on the grass?

People don't get motivation.
Clearly Cameron Ciraldo doesn't get Motivation AT ALL.

Now I will put to you Daniel Pink's work with 'drive'
I hate youtube video's, but I highly recommend this one. it's 7 minutes and helps you understand what the research says on Motivation....

Your forwards, the "work harder" mentality may work. Most players actually have to think.

Someone like a halfback, put a heap of pressure on them and they will fail to perform. Mitchell Pearce is the prime example, playing far better outside of Origin then in.

the work 110% 110% of the time theory doesn't work forever.

Anasta stating that 4-5 senior Bulldogs players he has spoken to are shocked that Topine is taking legal action. Court case will be interesting.

The defence by Braith for TRAVIS TOUMA just now on NRL360 was embarassingly personal.

While he did make the disclaimer that Travis was his mate...

His statement about Travis proves his personal bias and agenda to the naysayers!

"He's an amazing human being... that's all I've got to say."

- B. Anasta (re: Travis Touma - 30/4/2024 - NRLs60)

Anasta stating that 4-5 senior Bulldogs players he has spoken to are shocked that Topine is taking legal action. Court case will be interesting.
1714467518970.png

Did you listen to the context of his defence of his MATE???

Yes. Doesn’t change my opinion.

James Graham said it best.
Cool - as long as you did get the context!

Graham is all over the place on most of these issues - like CTE so I ignore the Pom who played all his career leading with his head and TEETH!!

A reformed dinosaur - but a dinosaur nonetheless!

But the consumate professional...

1714467945979.png

Cool - as long as you did get the context!

Graham is all over the place on most of these issues - like CTE so I ignore the Pom who played all his career leading with his head and TEETH!!

A reformed dinosaur - but a dinosaur nonetheless!

But the consumate professional...

View attachment 11869
Sometimes the dinosaurs are right mate.

There’s a whole generation of young shit bags running around Australia because people no longer understand discipline.

The result of these lawsuits is that clubs conduct detailed psychological testing before hiring.

Logically, if a player is suing a club, then they know they are not mentally tough enough to play NRL. So they hope to leave the game with a juicy payout and do something that suits them better.

How can you earn millions in the NRL? You can either be a) an elite player, b) Luke Brooks, or c) you sue your club.

The result of these lawsuits is that clubs conduct detailed psychological testing before hiring.

Logically, if a player is suing a club, then they know they are not mentally tough enough to play NRL. So they hope to leave the game with a juicy payout and do something that suits them better.

How can you earn millions in the NRL? You can either be a) an elite player, b) Luke Brooks, or c) you sue your club.
This sort of thing is happening in all industries. A lot is justified and some is just people after an easy buck. Also I guess the legal industry promotes a lot of it.

Without knowing all the facts of this particular case it’s wrong to make sweeping generalisations. My own personal thoughts are sporting organisations like everyone else must move with the times and things that worked in the past may need a different approach today. Also everyone is different and what might work for some may be terrible for others .

This sort of thing is happening in all industries. A lot is justified and some is just people after an easy buck. Also I guess the legal industry promotes a lot of it.

Without knowing all the facts of this particular case it’s wrong to make sweeping generalisations. My own personal thoughts are sporting organisations like everyone else must move with the times and things that worked in the past may need a different approach today. Also everyone is different and what might work for some may be terrible for others .
Don’t overthink it. Professional athletes in a team sport need to meet certain requirements as set out by their club. In the NRL they have a top 30 (generally) and the standards clubs set help them determine who’s in that group. It’s not kindergarten, little Johnny doesn’t like wrestling won’t work.

You’re right, the facts of this case are unclear and may never be known. It’s a slippery slope and I hope Canterbury fight it tooth and nail.

Last edited:
That's a more serious one because he had a life-altering seizure and had allegedly been denied water.
The Bulldogs case against the club I wouldn't be too worried about, but the Manly lawsuit that's coming would be a real issue. Not only because the player had a seizure after being denied the water but because another player died due to heat stroke. I'd hazard a guess that if the Manly lawsuit goes ahead the SeaEagles might want to just agree to a confidential settlement to keep it out of the courtroom.

Members online

Back