Blues Origin Coach '24 onwards --->>

Honestly, if I was Madge. I wouldn't touch Origin with a 10 Ft pole (or anything else).

Seriously, ok NSW has good cattle in Cleary/whoever in the halves. We lack experienced centers but have enough people for Fullback that they kinda flow over there. Plus one hell of a forward pack.

It's just that... We don't have the defense or the linkups that QLD have.

I would not want to be facing Slater nor this pack after last series win. ...

Actually the weird one will be Madge working along side Ivan Cleary! They can trade WT stories.

I disagree i think Madge is the right person to coach the blues,he has shown many times if he has the right players he can beat anyone.Unfortunately when he was with us he had the overpaid pensioners Ivan had left us with.
It may be true that they were all a bunch of "overpaid pensioners". However, those same has-beens under Ivan "the Traitor" won games against the Rorters, Mexicanos et al, all the NRL benchmark teams. Something that Maquire's "pensioners" could only dream!

Last edited:
It may be true that they were all a bunch of "overpaid pensioners". However, those same has-beens under Ivan "the Traitor" won games against the Rorters, Mexicanos et al, all the NRL benchmark teams. Something that Maquire's "pensioners" could only dream!

Despite that under Ivan we played exactly zero semi finals,the squad he assembled and coached was not good enough.He squandered a very large amount of money putting it together and failed so he abandoned the club knowing he had shafted us with duds for the forseeable future

Despite that under Ivan we played exactly zero semi finals,the squad he assembled and coached was not good enough.He squandered a very large amount of money putting it together and failed so he abandoned the club knowing he had shafted us with duds for the forseeable future
Irony of Ironies...:
Ivan Cleary - Hired duds like McQueen with a broken neck, Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, etc.
Madge - Hired duds like BJ leuiua, James Roberts, Dude from Britain who couldn't tackle, etc.

Both hired Mbye if I remember correctly. I couldn't believe anyone would make that decision*..

The coach that has hired the best.... Tim Sheens! Pity he can't coach.

*Yet Mbye actually put in as a 300-400k player. He never reached that 750k potential he was signed for. My biggest regret as a Tigers fan was we could have gotten Both Morris Brothers.

Irony of Ironies...:
Ivan Cleary - Hired duds like McQueen with a broken neck, Josh Reynolds, Russell Packer, etc.
Madge - Hired duds like BJ leuiua, James Roberts, Dude from Britain who couldn't tackle, etc.

Both hired Mbye if I remember correctly. I couldn't believe anyone would make that decision*..

The coach that has hired the best.... Tim Sheens! Pity he can't coach.

*Yet Mbye actually put in as a 300-400k player. He never reached that 750k potential he was signed for. My biggest regret as a Tigers fan was we could have gotten Both Morris Brothers.

JT hired McQueen,Ivan hired MBye and Madge removed him as he was costing us a hell of a lot more than 300k 400k.MBye was a terrible long term contract

JT hired McQueen,Ivan hired MBye and Madge removed him as he was costing us a hell of a lot more than 300k 400k.MBye was a terrible long term contract
Oh, yea I remember now. JT engaged McQueen and when Ivan replaced JT he kept the contract after McQueen broke his neck... Were fine humanatarians as a club because we made sure McQueen got his income* when injured.

MBye was a Terrible short term and long term contract. Costed us 750K but only 500k for his first season. At best Mbye performed at 400k, at worst 200k. Look I was so against his signing and screaming NOOOO on this forum (under an older account I think). But I will give Mbye credit in that he played and at least did enough to be a first grader. Reynolds and Packer just sat down, which was sad considering what they were on.

Yea, Sheens messed up 2023 badly. Can't coach but Sheens can sign and identify good players.

*honestly it would have been the scrap heap for him had we dropped the contract.

Last edited:
Oh, yea I remember now. JT engaged McQueen and when Ivan replaced him kept the contract after McQueen broke his neck... Were fine humanatarians as a club because we made sure McQueen got his income*.

*honestly it would have been the scrap heap for him had we dropped the contract.
I think this is the type of stuff Richo is talking about re. Running the club as a business as an opposed to successful types in other fields getting in charge and running it like they want to be the players best mates .
No way Richo doesn’t tear up that contract the moment McQueen had that injury . At the very least he would have sought a medical retirement .
Didn’t McQueen injure himself during the cooling off period of that contract ? Taylor might be able to coach X/o but geez he had zero idea how to talent evaluate . Ballin , McQueen … yikes .

Difficult to say who Madge actually contracted, because he was only one member of the list committee.
I do know this about Madge..the guy can coach. He looks for an edge, he dives into belief systems to intensify the reason his team needs to win.
Madge couldn’t find it at Tigers because it didn’t exist.

I agree, he's had success everywhere he's been except here.
maybe Shane Richardson might end up in the same bucket, success everywhere except here ? hell Luai might end up the same too
Time will tell, hoping the clubs fortunes change soon

maybe Shane Richardson might end up in the same bucket, success everywhere except here ? hell Luai might end up the same too
Time will tell, hoping the clubs fortunes change soon
At least we're starting at the top this time.

Difficult to say who Madge actually contracted, because he was only one member of the list committee.
I do know this about Madge..the guy can coach. He looks for an edge, he dives into belief systems to intensify the reason his team needs to win.
I tend to agree with the sentiment around Madge , I do think his style is far more suited to tournaments. Pumping you up and such . I feel like it would grow tiresome and cliched after a couple of years . Obviously to what extent it’s totally dependant on the culture ie. we have none as you said . But eventually I think it would get old .

His coaching style should be very much suited to SOO. He gets the pick of all NSW players and will play his tough bash style. Will be interesting who he picks in the squads.

His coaching style should be very much suited to SOO. He gets the pick of all NSW players and will play his tough bash style. Will be interesting who he picks in the squads.
Yes, looking forward to his team selection In February. Think he’ll like a player like Jack Wighton who also fits your description.

I tend to agree with the sentiment around Madge , I do think his style is far more suited to tournaments. Pumping you up and such . I feel like it would grow tiresome and cliched after a couple of years . Obviously to what extent it’s totally dependant on the culture ie. we have none as you said . But eventually I think it would get old .
Not if it’s delivered with honesty and good intentions.

Not if it’s delivered with honesty and good intentions.
I think you’re totally forgetting the generation it’s delivered to . Not judging , but there’s an inbuilt cynicism . If it comes across as anything even remotely like. Circus act it’s all over . Chuck in a few Leilua types rolling there eyes , and it’s all over

Back