#261 Kitione Kautoga

Surely there’s more to it, I’ll admit I haven’t seen Kautoga play much but I trust the opinions of the forum on his potential.

So why do the coaching/recruitment team that work with him everyday not see it?

Are there fundamental flaws in his game/attitude that they don’t believe can be coached out of him?

I guess time will tell, if he does go to the Dogs or someone else and turns out to be a freak of a player we will have every right to ask some serious questions of our club, however if he doesn’t kick on at another club then perhaps our Club actually knew what they were dealing with.

i do wonder who the next marquee level player to come out of (or have been involved with) our system might end up being

think hes a far better prospect than tumeth at this point
Two different players...Tumeth 92 kgs vs Kaotoga 109kgs....
Tumeth definitely runs hard ,but unless yr a really special athlete like Murray or Bateman youre gonna get smashed in the back row at this weight.
For perspective,other youg guns Nanai 104 kgs.,Liam Martin 103kgs,.Pa"apaliti 108 kgs...its a big boys game in general....though Nikora is only 94kgs but is an incredible athlete.Mataumuta 103kgs(with ball skills)
Tumeth has to improve either his athletism(not simple),his speed(not simple),his work rate(do-able) or his size(do-able) or look fwd to a long career in KOE cup
Hes smart tho,so can work this outand take a swing at whatever will work for him
Just my opinion

Last edited:
Last I heard he was off to the doggies ? I remember someone mentioning the Sharks weren’t happy about losing him .
It will be a real shame if we let him go .

Doing a better contract and enticing players to leave early is very Phil Gould

But how could they do that? BBO has an NRL contract for 2023. Their top 30 is full. They can't just terminate BBO's contract.
This screams breaching the cap and more dodgy illegal moves from Gus. I can't see how the NRL could approve it.
He had an NRL contract for 2023 but not anymore.

Reece Hoffman took Biondi-Odo’s spot in the 30, so their Top 30 is now full again.

Dodgyyyy (especially considering it’s not like they’ve convinced him to leave the club entirely; Gus outright says “we’ll try again in 2024” in the tweet).

Reece Hoffman took Biondi-Odo’s spot in the 30, so their Top 30 is now full again.

Dodgyyyy (especially considering it’s not like they’ve convinced him to leave the club entirely; Gus outright says “we’ll try again in 2024” in the tweet).

Would have been handy doing that
with Blore & Talau last year and then
just resigning them again this year smh
both were off contract too if I'm not
mistaken. Must be missing something.
We were effectively playing with 28
in our roster last year, are we that dumb
or is this a new thing Gus has started?

We were playing with less than 28 last year on more than a few occasions thanks to Sheens.Tim won us our first premiership but he also got us our first and hopefully last wooden spoon

Tumeth is undervalued by our fans because he's not a huge non footballer athlete that you all seem to love.
He's an every tackle worker footy player who turns up up every game, every tackle every day . He's got a future , either with us or another club that's smart enough to value him.
For some reason most of you seem to value lazy once a game flash in the pan's like Aitasi James who make a huge run and then go missing for the next 40 minutes. That's not how you win games.
The kid has a football brain, that's in very short supply at this club. If ther was ever such a thing as a footy I.Q. test we'd be $1.01 to have the dumbest top 30 in the comp.

Last edited:
Tumeth is undervalued by our fans because he's not a huge non footballer athlete that you all seem to love.
He's an every tackle worker footy player who turns up up every game, every tackle every day . He's got a future , either with us or another club that's smart enough to value him.
For some reason most of you seem to value lazy once a game flash in the pan's like Aitasi James who make a huge run and then go missing for the next 40 minutes. That's not how you win games.
Your a fan of Tumeth then?

The kid has a football brain, that's in very short supply at this club. If ther was ever such a thing as a footy I.Q. test we'd be $1.01 to have the dumbest top 30 in the comp.

In a well ran club (like i hope we will be in the future) their is a place for both of them here

Gus is trying to do what the Roosters do and find every loophole and advantage in the salary cap. If one doesn't exist, he'll create it.

They can't just terminate his contract because he's injured. The RLPA would go ballistic and engage legal action in seconds.
He has an NRL contract for 2023, and that will always be the case. He can't be bullied into mutually terminating his contract and pay to benefit the club.
The only way i could possibly see this working is if even with 30/30 nrl spots filled Dogs still had 200k under the cap. They would have to promote Hoffman on more money than what BBO was on. I believe the top 30 are your highest paid players and that the cap is fluid etc, therefore one player may overtake another as far as the top 30 salary cap is concerned.
But the salaries for both players would still count under the cap and they would technically have 31 nrl contracted players.

Doggies just did it with Biondi-Odo.

View attachment 4679
I wonder how BBO got injured, was it during a rep game if so they can get dispensation. But it doesn’t even sound like that’s what’s happened. Unless maybe he was a minimum wage player and since the value for minimum wage had gone up they made an arrangement not to pay the increase as he isn’t fit for the top 30 this season and someone else (Hoffman) got paid the increase instead.
Throwing darts at a wall here.

I guess the moral to the story is if you don’t ask you don’t know.
And if you don’t ask and don’t tell anyone at headquarters but then tell everyone in the media you face the firing squad and a 6 month suspension.

If I was injured and out for the year I’d want to defer contract until the following year if possible as you have no chance to impress while injured . Live on 2minute noodles and family
Don’t know if it’s a possibility but should be imo

Latest posts

Staff online

Back