2023 Pacific Championships

What's the best 17 for Australia, moving forward ?

I think Teddy has to go.
Should be whoever’s been good but I understand that’s not always the case. Teddy I think is done he’s not the same I would get rid of him. Edwards and Walsh would battle for the 1 going forward for Australia. DCE I think as well was poor yesterday same with Munster. But Munster at least has a chance to redeem himself he’s still got a little time left if he’s willing to try. But for me I think at most both DCE and Teddy need to retire from rep footy spend whatever time they have got left to focus on their clubs.

Should be whoever’s been good but I understand that’s not always the case. Teddy I think is done he’s not the same I would get rid of him. Edwards and Walsh would battle for the 1 going forward for Australia. DCE I think as well was poor yesterday same with Munster. But Munster at least has a chance to redeem himself he’s still got a little time left if he’s willing to try. But for me I think at most both DCE and Teddy need to retire from rep footy spend whatever time they have got left to focus on their clubs.
I think Walsh & Ponga fight it out for the 1

Teddy should give it up.

I think Walsh & Ponga fight it out for the 1

Teddy should give it up.
Edwards at least deserves a chance for the 1. Playing him out on the wing doesn’t exactly show what he can do at his preferred position. Ponga maybe if both are unavailable but Edwards and Walsh should be at least the first 2 moving forward in consideration for the 1.

That Brisbane player EM? Is he injured? Picked for no international team that im aware of. Sure gave Penrith a scare in October

Last edited:
When it comes to coaching I think Mal is a myth.

Doesn't strike me as being the brightest guy.

Crap bench and don't think too much of Hynes as a super sub middle on the bench.

Terrible missed tackle on Neame, but I suppose he wasn't the only one at fault there.

Poor old Nicho, he has been a bit like Stefano in that he has not really made the most of his opportunities at representative level.
Mal is fine as a coach. You can't win consecutive series of origin and be crap.

Clearly there are a stack of good players that let their guard down. Munster, DCE, Hynes. The forwards also needing resting and getting caught off guard. Yet if were serious, it's the Australian Wingers that failed to defend their edge:
Valentine Holmes and
Dylan Edwards!

Remember Dylan is playing out of position. Hence he is not used to that edge defense and that's quite a different skill to fullback. Particularly as Dylan is a smaller guy Hammer is inexperienced vs the strength of Manu and speed of Issako.

Val Holmes ofcourse goes to sleep.

Yes Mal deserves the blame of not realising that his wings were weak. You remove Dylan Edwards for Hamiso on the wing with say Bradman Best in Center and that game becomes competitive.

All good coaches will make mistakes. Dylan though deserves a rep wakeup, Val Holmes deserves Rep exile. Lets lay blame where the blame needs to be laid. On the wings.

Wow, what a game and what a result.

NZ have been building foe a while and been unlucky.

No luck with this win.

Shout out to old mate Madge. Well deserved.
Yes, I thought that McGuire couldn’t coach ?
Judging by the result and the attitude of his players he can’t be too bad.
Tigers are just a memory to him now .
Well played Kiwis.

It was complacency. Aust had won comfortably the week before and three gun forwards were returning fresh. It was obvious leading up to the first try that NZ was playing with more intensity. It was like watching Origin, only this time Tino and Carrigan were the ones being smashed.

Watching the game felt pretty familiar. The Tigers' were crap most of the time. Then NSW was crap most of the time. Now Australia played like crap.

2023 has been a season of teams I support playing like crap and getting smashed :poop:

Teddy's time has come. Walsh and Ponga are better. Not sure if Dylan Edwards is the real deal or if he can only be great when he has Fish and Leota. Seems that any FB playing behind them goes extra well.
Teddy's at the stage of his career where he'll continue to play good solid smart football. He'll have the odd standout game, but he's not Teddy anymore.
Someone needs to give him the tap so he can announce his own retirement from rep. footy and go out with dignity.

He’s of Indigenous background, pretty sure he’s only eligible for Australia.

Didn’t get picked for them.
You mean Ezra Mam
Honestly I would have picked him.
I mean I get it. You have Nicho Hynes, DCE and Munster in the Australian side.
You are already carrying a bench halfback in Hynes.

That said, I would have picked him and picked him at center. Remove Val Holmes and put Hammer on the wing.

Teddy's at the stage of his career where he'll continue to play good solid smart football. He'll have the odd standout game, but he's not Teddy anymore.
Someone needs to give him the tap so he can announce his own retirement from rep. footy and go out with dignity.
Sadly Teddy was Captain, making him harder to move and he needs to move off Fullback.

Easts should have done this and put Manu or Sualilililillili there.
I totally agree that Ponga is a better player and a better player in a worse side. Yet I think Ponga is being schooled by Reece Walsh and the other newer Fullbacks coming in.

Totally agree with the assessment. Solid smart football, but not Extra-ordinary GUN material.
While Teddy has been Very good in the past, he never hit the Miracles that say Slater, Stewart or Jarryd H did. That said he never had the Shockers that Jarryd or other players have had. Extreme consistency.

You mean Ezra Mam
Honestly I would have picked him.
I mean I get it. You have Nicho Hynes, DCE and Munster in the Australian side.
You are already carrying a bench halfback in Hynes.

That said, I would have picked him and picked him at center. Remove Val Holmes and put Hammer on the wing.
You got it. Its not crazy. That's for sure. For now the cat is in the bag.

Yes, I thought that McGuire couldn’t coach ?
Judging by the result and the attitude of his players he can’t be too bad.
Tigers are just a memory to him now .
Well played Kiwis.
Respect @Halbrowne61

I have long believed that he was our Bellamy. The only one to truly put Steel in our club.

It pains me that Pascoe and his group didnt have the nerve to stick to the Plan (Sheens Included).

Wonder what he would be achieving with this squad.

Back