Using the term "lucked out"

hank37w

I notice people using the term "lucked out" from time to time and it is a term that I personally have always had a problem with.

I usually have to read in full what they are saying in order to check exactly what they mean, whether it has been used in a positive or negative way.

To me "Lucked out" sounds like someone has run out of luck or used up all their luck and things have gone badly.

eg. I really lucked out the other day, to me sounds like things went badly.

Doing a search on the net shows that the meaning could go either way, one source says that in Australia it means you had bad luck and other sources state that it means you are lucky.

Really curious to find out if it is only me or does anyone else have trouble with this meaning?

context can change the meaning of many sayings/words. I agree tho does seem more negative, that's how I'd view the saying without context.

Seems to mean 'had a great deal of luck' in the US. I rarely see it used outside of there.

It should refer to your luck running out, that is, negative, based upon the words used in the saying.

But... I've only ever heard it used in positive ways, and that's the context to which is makes the most sense to me when spoken.

I notice people using the term "lucked out" from time to time and it is a term that I personally have always had a problem with.

I usually have to read in full what they are saying in order to check exactly what they mean, whether it has been used in a positive or negative way.

To me "Lucked out" sounds like someone has run out of luck or used up all their luck and things have gone badly.

eg. I really lucked out the other day, to me sounds like things went badly.

Doing a search on the net shows that the meaning could go either way, one source says that in Australia it means you had bad luck and other sources state that it means you are lucky.

Really curious to find out if it is only me or does anyone else have trouble with this meaning?
I too think it is a dumb expression which I struggle to understand.
Almost as dumb as Americans saying “I could care less”

To me it really sounds negative,I take it as....

Lucked out......"".ran out of luck.""...

thats how I take it but Im no language guru.....:oops:

50/50 call like the refs & the bunker 😂

View attachment 856
Yes I find it very confusing:

Looking at a site called Wictionary, it states:

Verb
luck out (third-person singular simple present lucks out, present participle lucking out, simple past and past participle lucked out)
  1. (colloquial, idiomatic, US, Canada) To experience great luck; to be extremely fortunate or lucky.
    I lucked out and got the last two tickets to the big show.
  2. (colloquial, idiomatic, Australia, Britain) To be unfortunate or unlucky; to run out of luck.
    I lucked out and didn't get the last two tickets to the big show.

About as clear as decisions made by the bunker, on field officials, the Match Revue Committee, the Judiciary and of course Annusley's review after each round of the NRL.

Back