St Patrick's Day

Yep, I remember the trepidation when needing to go wee after a few pints of Green Beer in the Marble Bar under the Sydney Hilton back in the Day. 🍀🍀🍀🍻🍻🍻

St Patrick's Day means checking if your family, directly or not, has ties to the Emerald Isle:

1710418054889.jpeg

How far back is your heritage @tiger_one? My dads side got here mid 1800s. Apparently didn't like English cops.😯
Goes back to 1845 so my grandmother told me - the story is that our fam was so poor, the 2 brothers requested the cheapest tickets to a place the furthest away form the UK/Ireland and were sold 2 tix for a voyage ending in South Africa. The thing is the ship docked in Sydney for 3 days, the brothers got off, and never finished the trip. Australia became home. Thank God they got off. ;)

Goes back to 1845 so my grandmother told me - the story is that our fam was so poor, the 2 brothers requested the cheapest tickets to a place the furthest away form the UK/Ireland and were sold 2 tix for a voyage ending in South Africa. The thing is the ship docked in Sydney for 3 days, the brothers got off, and never finished the trip. Australia became home. Thank God they got off. ;)
Wow, great story!!

St Patrick's Day means checking if your family, directly or not, has ties to the Emerald Isle:

View attachment 10848
Both of my paternal grandparents have Irish roots and I'm still learning more about this heritage.

The earliest known ancestor from my grandfather's side came over from Cork in 1830.

My great-grandmother (my grandmother's mother) told me stories about her own grandmother's journey to Australia. She was an orphan from Raheen Queen's County, who came over under the Earl Grey Scheme.

I've always celebrated St Patrick's Day as a nod to my family heritage. I'm not much of a drinker but I do like dressing up for the occasion.

Love these kind of stories.

Both of my paternal grandparents have Irish roots and I'm still learning more about this heritage.

The earliest known ancestor from my grandfather's side came over from Cork in 1830. Though details of her life before coming to Australia remain a mystery, I do know that she was convicted of jewellery theft - not just once either but two other separate times.
She went on to raise a large family after her husband died when he was very young.

My great-grandmother (my paternal grandmother's mother) told me stories about her own grandmother's journey to Australia. She was an orphan from Raheen Queen's County, who lost both parents as a child and came over under the Earl Grey Scheme. She assured me that their/my family's strong work ethic began with this lady.

I've always celebrated St Patrick's Day as a nod to my family heritage and the strength of the women who have shaped it. I'm not much of a drinker but I do like dressing up for the occasion.
"Every action of our lives touches on some chord that will vibrate in eternity."
I believe that your forebears' spirit remains within you, and all of us.
That is a special gift that brightens even the darkest moments.
And being Wests Tigers tragics, that comes in handy. ;)

I was in Ireland last year for Paddy's Day. It's very different from here, all about family and parades. I went to three parades, it seems every little village has its own, not just the big town of the area. Local farmers in their tractors covered in the local GAA colours. A real community day.
Very cool.

Back