Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Turuva is good in the air. Staines is shit so it doesn't matter what his height is. I am certain that we will have someone in the juniors who is a good fit there. Alaimalo isn't short
I'm hoping at least two of Haemasi Makasini, Nav Willett & Solo Saukuru can make it. If developed properly, they should all make NRL. All 3 good in the air.

I'm hoping at least two of Haemasi Makasini, Nav Willett & Solo Saukuru can make it. If developed properly, they should all make NRL. All 3 good in the air.
I think there’s a reason why Solo is playing Ron Massey Cup.
Nav looks like he has something, just needs to get physically stronger which should happen before too long and we need to hope we retain Makasini as physical specimens like him don’t grow on trees.

If Turuva plays fullback we improve as a side dramatically, but even he is not what you would call a classic ball playing fullback with a kicking game to assist the halves.
Someone mentioned it’s much better having shorter smaller players with plenty of heart, than taller bigger players with no heart and I agree with that comment 💯 but surely we can find a couple of big, tall & fast outside backs who also have half a brain and play with heart ?
Jeral Skelton, Sam Stonestreet, Grant Anderson, Blake Wilson just to name a few that can potentially fill a couple of pieces to our puzzle and not cost a lot to find out.
Haven’t seen Turuva play Fullback in first grade so I can’t judge unless he gets that chance. I know he has in Cup but different grade altogether. As for the players you mentioned just because they are stuck doesn’t always mean they’ll go to a club like ours to play footy when some are happy being depth like Jonah Pezet, he’s fine being stuck behind Munster and Hughes. I know he’s injured himself at the moment but even he’s happy to be stuck behind them because he could be playing first grade elsewhere but chose to stay and be depth. Some players are ok with that I’m not saying they are because I don’t know but some are willing to stay where they are than come to us. Besides I think only 2 of them are off contract so you can’t even make a play for all of them.

Nav looks like he has something, just needs to get physically stronger which should happen before too long and we need to hope we retain Makasini as physical specimens like him don’t grow on trees.
Vicious any idea why Ngutlic is not playing maybe he's in Ron Massey.?

Vicious any idea why Ngutlic is not playing maybe he's in Ron Massey.?
He hasn’t been playing anywhere.
Often seen on the sidelines of NSW Cup games, so I can only assume he’s still injured.
He has all the required physical attributes if he can ever get back on the field and show he has the required skill and commitment.

Haven’t seen Turuva play Fullback in first grade so I can’t judge unless he gets that chance. I know he has in Cup but different grade altogether. As for the players you mentioned just because they are stuck doesn’t always mean they’ll go to a club like ours to play footy when some are happy being depth like Jonah Pezet, he’s fine being stuck behind Munster and Hughes. I know he’s injured himself at the moment but even he’s happy to be stuck behind them because he could be playing first grade elsewhere but chose to stay and be depth. Some players are ok with that I’m not saying they are because I don’t know but some are willing to stay where they are than come to us. Besides I think only 2 of them are off contract so you can’t even make a play for all of them.
A little birdy told me that both Sam Stonestreet and Kade Dykes are getting frustrated at lack of NRL opportunities at the Sharks and would be open to a move for better NRL opportunities even though both are currently contracted until the end of the 2025 season.
Dykes has been injury prone which is not ideal, but it’s a well known fact he is one of the most talented emerging playing within the NRL system that is not currently playing regular NRL.
Equally at home at fullback, 5/8 or centre, a player with his talent would improve our attack immensely particularly if playing fullback.
Stonestreet is the prototype big, tall and fast winger who always competes hard for the high ball and regularly makes good post contact metres. He can also play centre and would be a great acquisition for a team like us.
Jeral Skelton and Grant Anderson are both off contract, they are both big, tall, fast powerful athletes who would help improve our depth and push hard for a regular NRL position.
Blake Wilson is another who is under contract with the Bulldogs, but has clearly shown he’s a more than capable NRL standard winger, very good under the high ball and a good finisher. He can’t get a look in at the Bulldogs NRL team when they are full strength, why wouldn’t he be looking elsewhere for a better opportunity?
Toby Sexton is a much more natural halfback than anyone we have, has a much better kicking game than anyone we have also. He’s off contract and I think he’d be well and truly open to a mid season switch frustrated at lack of NRL opportunities at the Bulldogs.
Matt Doorey and Billy Burns both good hole running edge back rowers that would add much needed depth and potentially become NRL regulars with us this season if they made a mid season switch.
Cooper Jenkins a big, tall and mobile prop currently dominating Qld Cuo and currently has a 2nd tier contract with the Dolphins. A definite NRL player of the future, he would definitely improve our depth and offer a prop with good leg speed and try scoring ability, something we don’t have.

Last edited:
I'm hoping it's just to get him used to playing men. Haven't seen him play this year. We'll definitely know how he is rated this weekend. With Olam & Naden suspended, we'll need to promote 2 of Faataape, Casey, Feledy & Lobb, so 2 spots open up in NSW Cup. If Solo doesn't get a chance this week (pending any injury), the coaching staff must not be happy with his progress. But if he does, let's see what he can bring to the table.

I'm hoping it's just to get him used to playing men. Haven't seen him play this year. We'll definitely know how he is rated this weekend. With Olam & Naden suspended, we'll need to promote 2 of Faataape, Casey, Feledy & Lobb, so 2 spots open up in NSW Cup. If Solo doesn't get a chance this week (pending any injury), the coaching staff must not be happy with his progress. But if he does, let's see what he can bring to the table.
Yes hoping he gets an opportunity to show what he can do.
Based on seeing him play Flegg a few times last season, I’m not real hopeful on him, but he’s young and could have improved plenty since then.

A little birdy told me that both Sam Stonestreet and Kade Dykes are getting frustrated at lack of NRL opportunities at the Sharks and would be open to a move for better NRL opportunities even though both are currently contracted until the end of the 2025 season.
Dykes has been injury prone which is not ideal, but it’s a well known fact he is one of the most talented emerging playing within the NRL system that is not currently playing regular NRL.
Equally at home at fullback, 5/8 or centre, a player with his talent would improve our attack immensely particularly if playing fullback.
Stonestreet is the prototype big, tall and fast winger who always competes hard for the high ball and regularly makes good post contact centres. He can also play centre and would be a great acquisition for a team like us.
Jeral Skelton and Grant Anderson are both off contract, they are both big, tall, fast powerful athletes who would help improve our depth and push hard for a regular NRL position.
Blake Wilson is another who is under contract with the Bulldogs, but has clearly shown he’s a more than capable NRL standard winger, very good under the high ball and a good finisher. He can’t get a look in at the Bulldogs NRL team when they are full strength, why wouldn’t he be looking elsewhere for a better opportunity?
Toby Sexton is a much more natural halfback than anyone we have, has a much better kicking game than anyone we have also. He’s off contract and I think he’d be well and truly open to a mid season switch frustrated at lack of NRL opportunities at the Bulldogs.
Matt Doorey and Billy Burns both good hole running edge back rowers that would add much needed depth and potentially become NRL regulars with us this season if they made a mid season switch.
Cooper Jenkins a big, tall and mobile prop currently dominating QLd Cuo and has a 2nd tier contract g with the Dolphins. A definite NRL player of the future, woukd definitely improve our depth and offer a prop with good leg speed and try scoring ability, something we don’t have.
Thanks for the birdy intel @Vicious & some other options.

If birdy is true, it would be criminal for us not to have a red hot go especially Stonestreet.

Not sure we would on Dykes given the whole 'do not want to block pathways' line that we roll out and this just may re. Mason, L Laulilii, Feledy etc.

Intrigued on Blake Wilson, do you know how tall he is? Always thought he just lacks that bit of size.

Happily swap Sexton for Sullivan and agree re Doorey & Burns (just got to make sure they pass an IQ test so we don't get another AJ).

I'm also wondering if Faagutu may be one heading to the exit door given his lack of opportunity this season especially when we select a Massey player ahead of him in Cup (and Kit seems to ahead of him in pecking order). Always a concern when we recruit from Queensland.

No point getting new players while we have the same attacking coach. Pretty sure Farah is our attacking coach this year and last year. Time to move on and bring someone with more experience in. Our attack is pedantic and uninventive.

Thanks for the birdy intel @Vicious & some other options.

If birdy is true, it would be criminal for us not to have a red hot go especially Stonestreet.

Not sure we would on Dykes given the whole 'do not want to block pathways' line that we roll out and this just may re. Mason, L Laulilii, Feledy etc.

Intrigued on Blake Wilson, do you know how tall he is? Always thought he just lacks that bit of size.

Happily swap Sexton for Sullivan and agree re Doorey & Burns (just got to make sure they pass an IQ test so we don't get another AJ).

I'm also wondering if Faagutu may be one heading to the exit door given his lack of opportunity this season especially when we select a Massey player ahead of him in Cup (and Kit seems to ahead of him in pecking order). Always a concern when we recruit from Queensland.
We are he only club in the world who doesn’t understand you need a halfback with a better than average kicking game and the only club in the world who continues to play flops at NRL level when there are far better options waiting for our call.

No point getting new players while we have the same attacking coach. Pretty sure Farah is our attacking coach this year and last year. Time to move on and bring someone with more experience in. Our attack is pedantic and uninventive.
Do you realise Bennett doesn’t contribute to his teams attack, never has and never will.
He simply selects his spine players with enough IQ and attacking ability to do the basics right and allow the team to function as it should.
He also selects edges, namingly edge back row and centres that have the ability to be an attacking threat.
I’ve done this to death, but anyone who cannot see that a teams fullback is their most influential attacking player, obviously does not watch other NRL teams play.

Last edited:
Do you realise Bennett doesn’t contribute to his teams attack, never has and never will.
He simply selects his spine players with enough IQ to do the basics right and allow the team to function as it should.
He also selects edges, namingly edge back row and centres that have the ability to be an attacking threat.
I’ve done this to death, but anyone who cannot see a trans fullback is their most influential attacking player, obviously does not watch other NRL teams play.
Since when was the Hammer trans?

We are he only club in the world who doesn’t understand you need a halfback with a better than average kicking game and the only club in the world who continues to play flops at NRL level when there are far better options waiting for our call.
right then, we must certainly have no idea that you need a halfback in order to succeed in this league.

with that in mind, can you tell me whether or not we signed anyone during the offseason to alleviate this issue? it might've been on January 3? on a long term deal? signed from the most elite sporting franchise on the continent?

sounds like neither of us can recall Vicious, but someone else might have an idea?

Back