Signings, Suggestions & Rumours Discussion

Any chance we can find a genuine elite lock prospect? I think one thing our forwards need and don't have is a guy with a short ball at the line who can get the receivers noses through the line for a quick play the ball, but also with the games sense and physicality to hold the ball and get a quick ptb of his own if the defence hold off him.
I dont think the forwards are doing enough but I think they are on a hiding to nothing just hitting it straight up off a half or Api.

I’m over the forwards copping unwarranted criticism. We’re holding up in the middle better than we did for years. People have forgotten the bad old days when the middle was route 66 and our edges were easier to unlock than a cable tie. Klem beats Tamou by a country mile.

Edit: Throw Reece Walsh and Cobbo into this team and nobody is knocking the forwards.
Benji has to do something about the outside backs. The Broncos have Mariner, Cobbo, Staggs, Walsh, Arthur’s, Oates, Sailor and let go Farnworth. They would all start in our backline.

Or disprove a good point.
It’s a point that will never be proven. Look at Ice in 21-22. Best, most destructive forward in the comp. Now he is a powder puff. Given the amount of players who have come here and lost their mojo, you could forgive me for being skeptical.

Benji has to do something about the outside backs. The Broncos have Mariner, Cobbo, Staggs, Walsh, Arthur’s, Oates, Sailor and let go Farnworth. They would all start in our backline.
Agree, Bula and Olam would shine with better players around them. Everyone else we have in the OB backs I’d be moving on from. AD walks back in to a centre spot atm.

I agree with what you've said regarding IPap and Api but if some of our middles were truly having a go IPap wouldn't be topping the count every week.
Bigger bodied men are never going to move as laterally to get into a position to make as many tackles. It appears that's IPap's role in the team and he is doing it pretty well - but with those numbers he will also miss a few as does Api. Makes me shake my head when people have a crack or are questioning why they are looking gassed - their workload is immense more than any other players on the field.

It’s a point that will never be proven. Look at Ice in 21-22. Best, most destructive forward in the comp. Now he is a powder puff. Given the amount of players who have come here and lost their mojo, you could forgive me for being skeptical.
You only had to watch Brisbane play last night to know what I’m saying. Ice is going okay. Our backline is the significant issue needing attention.

He had one breakout season and was solid again. Was never defensively good powerful player when put in holes can be unstoppable. He hasn’t changed he no longer runs off Moses is the difference.
TBH he’s a solid player for us runs hard and tackles all day but never has any space to work with. He doesn’t suit this team will change with Luai.

Yep. I will keep defending IPap. You can't make 47 and 48 tackles play 80 then be expected to be more impactful with ball -same with Api. It's just not realistic.
We need an edge running forward sure but those effective players are not tackle machines and rarely do they play 80. The forwards we have got this year are having a go and their effort areas should be acknowledged.
I can’t agree more. I can’t believe people are sooking about Pap. And people asking for edge running 2fr, well we have them but aren’t putting them onto the edges with room to run. How many times do we get jammed up and give a short ball into traffic. There was one yesterday, I was amazed Paps even caught the ball let alone hold onto it in the traffic. Our 2rfs are not the reason we’re loosing. The forwards as a group have been doing well enough, but still got bettered by Penrith. Although that first try was a jip. If that was us we would’ve been penalised. We’re improving, we just need to stick at it and work even harder.

Cotric is okay. More effective than both of our wingers at hitting the ball up which is pretty much all our wingers have done apart from a couple of occasions yesterday.

He’s off contract so I don’t know why we’d have to approach the raiders unless we’ve already signed him.

The leaks were supposedly fixed so this will be a good test.
Don’t know his stats but from what I’ve seen he’d have much safer hands also

Reactions: 851
No he isn’t…
Please stop, You’re making yourself look silly…

If he’s in the top 10 benchies, does that get him an 18 jersey for origin?
😂😂😂
Not when you consider all the starting props aswell Seyfarth not trying to say he will play origin but if he was in the conversation he wouldn’t make it over Haas, Stefano, jurbo, Yeo, Murray, RCG, and probably more I’m forgetting and that’s enough for 2 props a lock and a bench solely from starting forwards

Any chance we can find a genuine elite lock prospect? I think one thing our forwards need and don't have is a guy with a short ball at the line who can get the receivers noses through the line for a quick play the ball, but also with the games sense and physicality to hold the ball and get a quick ptb of his own if the defence hold off him.
I dont think the forwards are doing enough but I think they are on a hiding to nothing just hitting it straight up off a half or Api.
Between Matamua, Fa’agutu and Laulilii we have 3 great prospects for ball playing locks but Matamuas time looks to have passed as they refuse to use him there or even give him a consistent crack in NRL as for the other 2 they are only 18-19 so I think unfortunately Benji is happy to wait till they are ready

Between Matamua, Fa’agutu and Laulilii we have 3 great prospects for ball playing locks but Matamuas time looks to have passed as they refuse to use him there or even give him a consistent crack in NRL as for the other 2 they are only 18-19 so I think unfortunately Benji is happy to wait till they are ready
I know Kit Laulili has been struggling a bit this year, not saying he won’t make it but he probably will need more time. Fa’agutu has been playing Prop more so than Lock lately so that one could go either way. Really don’t know if Matamua will be it moving forward, but I thought he was ok against the Dragons.

Papali'i was great yesterday & the fans turn on him.

Makes sense.

Someone said Doueihi walks into the side at Centre at the moment- and that's right. It helps that he is the guy most likely to break the line on his own, but it's convenient to forget the strengths to support the generally negative narrative.

Cotric is an upgrade on Staines, simply through his ability to fall forward in a tackle. Quicker play of the ball, more positive metres etc. Staines is trying harder, and regressing in the process.

On the other wing...look to Ryde Eastwood.

Back