LIVE GAME Round 8 vs. Broncos

Live Game Discussion
I don't go to many games these days. But I was at the game tonight.
Not going to talk about the match in this post. Rather about the feeling at Campbelltown. The Tigers have been better this year and when I saw it was a full house I expected a cracking atmosphere.

But it wasn't at all. Honestly, it might as well have been empty.
During the game, I turned to the people around me and I was like, are we still observing the Anzac minute silence?! come on! you can hear a pin drop in here!
The only fans making noise were Broncos fans. It felt like we were outnumbered. Embarrassing.

The only times there was a Tigers chant was when it came over the PA system. And that was only a couple times and no one really joined in. (tbh I always cringe when those chants come over the speaker - it's like conceding that we don't cheer).

Please don't give the excuse that there wasn't much to cheer for. That is never an excuse IMO and anyway doesn't check out.
The stands were muted, lacking fervour. I confess I was not much better. It's hard when everyone is silent being the only voice. There are only so many times you are willing to look like a lunatic and feel like one.

Would some atmosphere have turned the game? Probably not. But that is irrelevant. We have to try something to make our home stadiums more of a feared place to go for travelling teams and a more enjoyable place for us to go.

As the community of passionate fans that we are, we could do something about it collectively. Could be bringing flags and signs, a drum or a trumpet, figure out some easy chants to lead, anything!
Perhaps a thread each week can be dedicated to the people going and ensuring we have a loud and vibrant presence?
I really don't know, but something has to be done. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Because I don't agree that Campbelltown stadium itself sucks. It's what happens there that does.
Both life and the stadium at campbelltown sucks my friend. To direct more traffic there is simply retarded but a step this deadshit club will no doubt take

During the game, I turned to the people around me and I was like, are we still observing the Anzac minute silence?! come on! you can hear a pin drop in here!
The only fans making noise were Broncos fans. It felt like we were outnumbered. Embarrassing.

Not sure where you were sitting, but the main stand was blowing up quite a bit, there was atmosphere, but the drain of the club playing like the last couple of years did show on fans.

The only times there was a Tigers chant was when it came over the PA system. And that was only a couple times and no one really joined in. (tbh I always cringe when those chants come over the speaker - it's like conceding that we don't cheer).

100% wrong, only once was the fake tigers chant started when no fans were doing it (first time, maybe the second, can't remember if there was one before the fake chant), all other times it came on after a tigers chant went up, and the playing of the cheer actually killed the real cheer. Though again it may have been based on where you were sitting as to what you heard.

Please don't give the excuse that there wasn't much to cheer for. That is never an excuse IMO and anyway doesn't check out.
The stands were muted, lacking fervour. I confess I was not much better. It's hard when everyone is silent being the only voice. There are only so many times you are willing to look like a lunatic and feel like one.

Again the main stand was blowing up big, especially in the first half. The boos of the refs at halftime should have shown that. Plenty of passion was being shown by Tigers fans, but once the team switched off and Brisbane took control, then admittedly did start to die off.

Was the passion as high as it could have been, no, but a team playing as flat as they did transferred into the crowd.

Our D generally was solid in contact however we allowed Reynolds to run and toy with us due to our lack of line speed.

Honestly they have us covered all over the park. They have too much speed for us and their forwards run harder and tackle harder. They even defended their line desperately well at times when we looked like we might score.
Our second half was ill disciplined and full of errors which allowed them too many opportunities.
Bateman slowed us down at 13 - I prefer him on the edge. Pole and S Fainu tried hard although they both made dumb errors. Uto was disappointing.

Not going to talk about the match in this post. Rather about the feeling at Campbelltown. The Tigers have been better this year and when I saw it was a full house I expected a cracking atmosphere.

Would some atmosphere have turned the game? Probably not. But that is irrelevant. We have to try something to make our home stadiums more of a feared place to go for travelling teams and a more enjoyable place for us to go.

As the community of passionate fans that we are, we could do something about it collectively. Could be bringing flags and signs, a drum or a trumpet, figure out some easy chants to lead, anything!
Perhaps a thread each week can be dedicated to the people going and ensuring we have a loud and vibrant presence?
I really don't know, but something has to be done. Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Because I don't agree that Campbelltown stadium itself sucks. It's what happens there that does.
The Broncos took the crowd out of the game like Saints did. Maybe had we played a more attractive style of play the crowd would have risen to the occasion. You can hardly blame the fans or worse still the ground for this surely?

That fake chant over the p.a. is not needed and it sounds terrible. There was a real chant started in the first half then they started playing that over the top and killed the whole thing off.

I actually thought the atmosphere was okay there tonight. When Api scored the place lifted and the tigers were going well. But that 20 seconds of joy was taken from us and seemed to take a lot of the energy out of the crowd.

We played with no energy, and our only tactic was through the middle with ineffective runs of max 5m and kick.
disagree. we had plenty of energy and ran thru them for the majority of the first half and had them pinned down in their end but lacked the class to execute and were hurt by pathetic last tackle options taken by our halfback. the Walsh try on minute 40 really hurt us. no excuses but it was completely against the run of play.

there were some questionable performances amongst guys like Bateman, Pole and Samuela but it was not for a lack of trying. if you don’t execute and you fail to turn the ball over in good positions then good teams will punish you, let alone the most lethal outfit in the comp.

no doubt we had some terrible moments but we were most definitely at the races and outperformed them in patches. we’re learning week to week. Bulldogs game a crucial juncture in our season.

Last edited:
@Craegus and @NJLM78 , Appreciate your responses.
I was sitting opposite from where the players ran out and never heard anything from fans which you are saying was at your side of the stadium. Fair enough. I am happy to stand corrected. This doesn't discount how our side was morgue-like, but I concede that not every bay is going to be raucous. Suppose I was pretty disappointed and I can only hear what I can hear - which was nothing.

@Honkylips, I don't blame the stadium or the fans for the loss, or the style of game we played. Nor do I blame the ref (who was woeful).
I am only speaking of my experience at the ground.

@Craegus and @NJLM78 , Appreciate your responses.
I was sitting opposite from where the players ran out and never heard anything from fans which you are saying was at your side of the stadium. Fair enough. I am happy to stand corrected. This doesn't discount how our side was morgue-like, but I concede that not every bay is going to be raucous. Suppose I was pretty disappointed and I can only hear what I can hear - which was nothing.

@Honkylips, I don't blame the stadium or the fans for the loss, or the style of game we played. Nor do I blame the ref (who was woeful).
I am only speaking of my experience at the ground.
We were outnumbered by Broncos supporters there tonight. That didn't help much with the atmosphere when came to getting behind the tigers.

On the match and on our play so far this year - a positive: we get out of our half very effectively every time. I have always thought that this "roll-on" is a hallmark of the good sides and traditionally, this is something we haven't been good at. I have noticed that we have been much better at this in 2024.
Likewise, defensively, when opposition teams start their sets deep in their own half, we are regularly keeping them from getting out, or getting their own"roll-on". Again, this is not something we have been historically good at.

Having said that, it is the attacking work we do when we are in the opposition 30, and the defensive work when they are within our 30, that it all seems to break down. And these are the zones where we need to be the most potent and formidable.

Another thing about our attack: we lack shape in our attack line and don't seem to acknowledge the skill sets of players who are standing in some sort of formation. This becomes obvious when players like Bateman, Klemmer or Twal are passed the ball late in sets, as invariably they kill any attacking momentum. Needs to be fixed. Those three should simply run decoys after the 4th tackle and never touch the ball - unless it is a perfectly executed crash play on the try line.

It just amazed me how many of our players were out of position in the ruck. I'd guess that for half of the Broncos hitups we had at least one player not square at marker or lying on the ground still, sometimes two players out of action and no one at marker! That then leaves the Broncos attacking 11 men with a quick play the ball! They can spread it wide and score. And did so many times.

How are we still do poor in the ruck? Some of it comes down to bring such a tiny side that we physically just can't match most sides who are much bigger than us. But some of it is technique. We don't know how to wrestle, how to slow down a tackle legally, how to win the tackle when we have the ball. 2 weeks in a row we've lost the ruck, which had given quality opponents with the space they need to finish us. Supposedly we've been focusing mainly in defence in training, hence our atrocious attack is because we don't practice it much, but then why are we constantly having 1-2 players out of action at the play the ball?

On the match and on our play so far this year - a positive: we get out of our half very effectively every time. I have always thought that this "roll-on" is a hallmark of the good sides and traditionally, this is something we haven't been good at. I have noticed that we have been much better at this in 2024.
Likewise, defensively, when opposition teams start their sets deep in their own half, we are regularly keeping them from getting out, or getting their own"roll-on". Again, this is not something we have been historically good at.

Having said that, it is the attacking work we do when we are in the opposition 30, and the defensive work when they are within our 30, that it all seems to break down. And these are the zones where we need to be the most potent and formidable.

Another thing about our attack: we lack shape in our attack line and don't seem to acknowledge the skill sets of players who are standing in some sort of formation. This becomes obvious when players like Bateman, Klemmer or Twal are passed the ball late in sets, as invariably they kill any attacking momentum. Needs to be fixed. Those three should simply run decoys after the 4th tackle and never touch the ball - unless it is a perfectly executed crash play on the try line.
I would say that unless play has completely broken down and we need a settler the likes of Twal, Klemmer and Seyfarth should never take a hitup in the opposition 20. If they touch the ball they just take a soft hitup and get a very slow play the ball which then cripples our next play.

Last edited:
I would say that unless play has completely broken down and we need a settler the likes of Twal, Klemmer and Seyfarth should never take a hitup in the opposition 20. If they touch the ball they just take a soft hitup and get a very slow play the ball.
Agreed. Bateman too. Solid tackler, hopeless with the pill.

They had one playmaker and we failed to shut him (Renyolds) down. We were better than the score but as always we dont take our chances, but our opposition do. We are flat in attacking options and too easy to read. But we did score a try from the worst lead up in the history of the game.

We've just played both last seasons grand finalists back to back, probably had the ref against us too and people are slashing their wrists. Snap out of it!
We made ground with ease against both sides but our spine didn’t have the class to score tries. This is in stark contrast to what we were saying 4-5 weeks back. That’s disappointing.
Both sides were missing crucial playmakers yet scored plenty of tries against a defence we were again all praising recently.
We have the most uninspiring, dull, robotic attack in the comp despite being coached by one of the greatest attacking players the code has seen and it’s frustrating that a roster with so many rep players and guys who have big game experience remains firmly a bottom 4 outfit.

Well written.

Ive been saying it for years, its the weakest home ground in pro sport. The place is a shithole. No heart, no soul, no energy, no atmosphere. Never has been never will be. Lacklustre shithole.

the eastern side was full of Brisbane fans, they were cheering and chanting for Reynolds when he took that intercept at the end. A very good attendance from Brisbane fans tonight which was surprising
Yep - more a travelling Broncos crowd than local Macarthur or travelling Tigers supporters...

Not a good look for a HOME ground against an interstate opponent...

We made ground with ease against both sides but our spine didn’t have the class to score tries. This is in stark contrast to what we were saying 4-5 weeks back. That’s disappointing.
Both sides were missing crucial playmakers yet scored plenty of tries against a defence we were again all praising recently.
We have the most uninspiring, dull, robotic attack in the comp despite being coached by one of the greatest attacking players the code has seen and it’s frustrating that a roster with so many rep players and guys who have big game experience remains firmly a bottom 4 outfit.
We also stripped them on the outside many times - but they had the pace and class to cover our relative lack of speed...

Never enough runners coming back on an angle to counter the sliding defence...

Frustrating to watch - but something to be worked on

I saw at least three occasions tonight TWAL running across field

He didnt like the hard stuff, the collision tonight
Yep - always been a cuddler more than a tackler so the collision has never been his strength.

But the first set after HT he ran across field on the 5th tackle from 40 metres out and got mauled...

Next moment the sideline reporter is telling us Benji's instructions at half-time was to stop the sideways attack...

Alex lived up to his appearance on the Matty Johns show....

1714232094967.png

Back