Poor Bellamy - How about the Tigers?

Tcat

Storm coach Craig Bellamy whacks Roosters over pursuit of Cameron Munster

Cameron Munster of the Melbourne Storm is being chased by a number of rival clubs.Source: Getty Images

AS rivals circle his star playmaker Cameron Munster, Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy has called on the NRL to reward clubs through the salary cap for developing talent.

Seven NRL clubs have already signalled their interest in luring Munster from the Storm for the 2020 season when he comes off contract.

The 23-year-old utility back, who joined the Storm as a teenager five years ago, could command more than $1 million a season.

Bellamy says there’s no financial incentive or compensation for clubs to invest in youngsters when others sit back and just throw big money at them as soon as they’re established first grade players.

Melbourne Storm Coach Craig Bellamy has taken a shot at the Roosters over their pursuit of Cameron MunsterSource: AAP

“I’d like to see the NRL reward clubs for developing players and get a percentage (deduction from the salary cap) after they’ve been there a certain number of years,” Bellamy said on Friday.

“If you’ve recruited them as young kids and developed them you should be getting a reward but every year we seem to lose players that we’ve recruited and developed as young people.

“They go to clubs who don’t do any development and just recruit.

“It irks me, especially with Cameron, that we got him as a 17-year-old and everyone’s coming in with their chequebooks and he might be going.”

Bellamy said the argument that clubs didn’t have a big enough junior area to source players from didn’t hold water given the small Victorian competition.

Rockhampton-born Munster was playing in the Queensland Cup while another example is winger Suliasi Vunivalu, who was playing rugby union at an Auckland school. Bellamy said his club obviously would be doing all they could to hold on to Munster.

“He’s shown his worth to us with his consistency this year and also in big rep games so everyone understands and knows what calibre of player you’re going to get with Cameron,” Bellamy said.

“I’d like to think that Cameron considers that we helped develop him here although he’s done a lot of hard work too.

“Whatever we can do to keep him we’ll be doing that.”

hope he goes so that dickhead bellamy, feels the pain we did when he stole are two great wingers.

@ said:
He’s right.

He is, but when it happens to us no one gives a hoot, now Bellamy is whinging someone might listen, always the bloody roosters, god I hate them. :angry:

@ said:
@ said:
He’s right.

He is, but when it happens to us no one gives a hoot, now Bellamy is whinging someone might listen, **always the bloody roosters, god I hate them. :angry:**

x2

@ said:
@ said:
He’s right.

He is, but when it happens to us no one gives a hoot, now Bellamy is whinging someone might listen, always the bloody roosters, god I hate them. :angry:

My point. He is right, but I don't feel sorry for Bellamy at all.

@ said:
@ said:
@ said:
He’s right.

My point. He is right, but I don't feel sorry for Bellamy at all.

Yep. I would take whinging about injustices from the mouth of a bloke with as shady of a past as Bellamy with a massive grain of salt. Hey Craigo, critique your own seedy past in our sport…....some would argue good ol' Bellyrot should of been punted from the NRL for life 7 or so seasons ago. Suck it up.
Just wish a journo would ask a few hard questions of this jerk re: his right to voice his opinion after what he has overseen in his coaching tenure. Would love to hear him sputter out something in pathetic response.

They’ve been stealing everyone’s best juniors for years. They don’t have HM or SGB to fund plus they have the advantage of sponsorship appeal from a whole state. You can tell he was a student of Bennett’s

Why would you feel sorry for the bloke who introduced into the NRL
chicken wing tackle, grapple tackle, crusher tackle, wrestling.

I’ve been saying this for years. Why hasn’t our club come out public with statements like this. Friggen rorters need to be put in their place

Does Bellamy even mention the Roosters?

In fairness to Melbourne yes they source from non-Victoria but they do bring in a lot of their stars really young.

Does the chequebook secure these young 16/17 year olds to start with?

Its all about third party agreements, the current administration created this imbalance. I cant see them doing anything about it any time soon.

Corrupt.

Roosters and Melbourne have very insignificant junior leagues, ie. ages up to and including A grade. that they can develop youngsters from. Yet they always seem to be the leading teams in the NRL competition. Something wrong somewhere.

It's beyond laughable that the Roosters are always front runners to sign _every_ top line player who comes on the market. How many bloody playmakers do they need? Someone needs to tell them that they can only put 17 players on the field each game.

Classic Pot calling the kettle black
Has no problem signing players from other clubs
On the other han we are all sick of the roosters
Plastic bags were banned now time for paper bags to be banned
It's time the roosters get plucked

Latest posts

Back