Player punishment for indiscretions

Red88_Tiger

In light of the many players overtime being caught for various offences it seems clubs are the one's who lose out with (as far as I'm aware)no benefit of standing a player down.
If clubs got cap relief as a percentage of players wage per games mist does anyone think this would change things.
In doing this i think nrl would need to handle all punishment measures.

I do think innocent until proven guilty (unless admission is there) before nrl decide punishment

As a local player I believe the biggest punishment anyone feels is time on the side line but not sure if this is the same at elite level.
I would also like to see mandatory suspension of 1 game for every hour after midnight when an issue has occurred regardless of guilt.

These are just random thoughts and I'm curious to see others views. Even with all players so called education I personally think that is not working.

If the IRL had more power across the game bans would be effective

If the player in the ESL or NRL knew they couldn't play the game at all if they brought it into disrepute for 2 years it would have some think twice

These latest issues can be dealt with by NSW law.. Once punished (if guilty), I do not believe they should be punished again by the NRL.

@ said:
@ said:
These latest issues can be dealt with by NSW law.. Once punished (if guilty), I do not believe they should be punished again by the NRL.

X2

I understand your point but it seems that isn't what the governing body believes . Carney and barba for example.
Sharks sacked barba then rehired on lesser contract

@ said:
In light of the many players overtime **being caught for various offences it seems clubs are the one's who lose out with (as far as I'm aware)no benefit of standing a player down**.
If clubs got cap relief as a percentage of players wage per games mist does anyone think this would change things.

I do think innocent until proven guilty (unless admission is there) before nrl decide punishment

As a local player I believe the biggest punishment anyone feels is time on the side line but not sure if this is the same at elite level.
I would also like to see mandatory suspension of 1 game for every hour after midnight when an issue has occurred regardless of guilt.

These are just random thoughts and I'm curious to see others views. Even with all players so called education I personally think that is not working.

I understand the sentiment however the club is responsible for who they employ, and unfortunately this ^^^^^ just demonstrates nothing more than poor decision making on behalf of the club.
I also agree with innocent until proven guilty and sympathise with NRL players to a certain extent. They are easy targets for the media and opportunists. So sometimes we do tend to get a skewed version of actual facts & details, from these events. DT are the best example for serving personal agendas.
But in saying that most of these players are men - and represent the clubs they are employed by - so have an obligation to uphold or conduct themselves respectfully or professionally in the public eye. They know inexplicably that they wouldn’t be able to get away with much in this day and age.

Agree with Pawsandclaws, let these issues be dealt with NSW Law, first and foremost. But I also think the NRL needs to clarify what is tolerable and not. And set a precedent.
I wouldn’t be unhappy if someone who did what Fonua-Blake allegedly did to his pregnant partner, was removed from our game. But also think there should certain punishments for certain indiscretions. E.g. Rehabilitation and educational programs/courses should be mandated by the NRL club additionally. And sidelining for anything minor. Plus repeat offenders more severe punishments. Idk.

I saw an interesting point brought up (in the Zane Musgrove thread) about the age of some of these players brought over from NZ. Think I read that CHN and JFH were bought over at 16, which is so terribly young and luckily it worked out for them. So I’m curious if the young boys from NZ or any Aboriginal boys get any extra/other support from the NRL as well as their club?

@ said:
@ said:
In light of the many players overtime **being caught for various offences it seems clubs are the one's who lose out with (as far as I'm aware)no benefit of standing a player down**.

I understand the sentiment however the club is responsible for who they employ, and unfortunately this ^^^^^ just demonstrates nothing more than poor decision making on behalf of the club.
I also agree with innocent until proven guilty and sympathise with NRL players to a certain extent. They are easy targets for the media and opportunists. So sometimes we do tend to get a skewed version of actual facts & details, from these events. DT are the best example for serving personal agendas.
But in saying that most of these players are men - and represent the clubs they are employed by - so have an obligation to uphold or conduct themselves respectfully or professionally in the public eye. They know inexplicably that they wouldn’t be able to get away with much in this day and age.

Agree with Pawsandclaws, let these issues be dealt with NSW Law, first and foremost. But I also think the NRL needs to clarify what is tolerable and not. And set a precedent.
I wouldn’t be unhappy if someone who did what Fonua-Blake allegedly did to his pregnant partner, was removed from our game. But also think there should certain punishments for certain indiscretions. E.g. Rehabilitation and educational programs/courses should be mandated by the NRL club additionally. And sidelining for anything minor. Plus repeat offenders more severe punishments. Idk.

I saw an interesting point brought up (in the Zane Musgrove thread) about the age of some of these players brought over from NZ. Think I read that CHN and JFH were bought over at 16, which is so terribly young and luckily it worked out for them. So I’m curious if the young boys from NZ or any Aboriginal boys get any extra/other support from the NRL as well as their club?

In relation to your first paragraph. How would souths have known Musgrove would do what he did the first time. Tigers should have been wary i believe but not being privy to any discussions they had i cant say they weren't.
Packer is a good example of someone that seems to have learnt his lesson and appears to exude integrity from what I have heard.
I like reading your responses well written

@ said:
@ said:

The NRL has already set a precedent. Unfortunately (and predictibly) it has set a precedent of "if you are talented and/or a player who will get crowds through the gate you will be shown massive leniency and your indiscretion will be swept quickly under the carpet". The list of examples of this "policy" is endless…...
-The Storm maggots who knowingly cheated the system and fraudulently signed deceitful, false contracts. One of those players got "punished" by being awarded the captaincy of his state and country. Slater will probably be "punished" by being inducted as an Immortal. Another one of them, Greg Inglis, gets rewarded with state and Test jerseys, goes on to smack his missus around and these days just drives around drunk and speeding (and is hailed as "brave" by the CEO of the NRL for doing so).
Ben Barba- photographic evidence is produced by his partner that he gave her a beating, nothing was done by the NRL. He got people through the gate, that is all that mattered to the decision makers of our sport.
- Cronulla Sharks club, systematic dope cheating yet are largely unpunished, players serve out suspensions throughout the off-season amazingly, many of those players play rep footy immediately after and the club goes on to win a premiership shortly after systematic drug program.
-Sam Burgess, whatever happened to his "problems" of a few months ago?
-Matt Lodge, that bloke should of been in the big house, let alone be welcomed with open arms into our game.
-Jesse Bromwich and Kevin Proctor, hit with a wet lettuce and serve paltry suspensions.
-Zane Tetevano, bashed his partner numerous times IIRC, yet is still happily playing in the NRL and winning a premiership.
-Addin Fonua Blake and Richie Fauoso, both allegedly beat their partners, nothing done by the NRL.
-Mitchell Pearce, looked to be under some illegal substances during his indescretion yet is inexplicably allowed to skip the country before being drug tested by the NRL.
If you can play well, are high profile and you continuing to play the game benefits the NRL, then you have nothing to worry about whatsoever.
Players on the periphery however get the heavy hand of the NRL and are usually playing park footy fairly swiftly.

@ said:

If the player in the ESL or NRL knew they couldn't play the game at all if they brought it into disrepute for 2 years it would have some **think twice**

The problem Happy is these idiots don't/cant think.

:bash

@ said:
In relation to your first paragraph. **How would souths have known Musgrove would do what he did the first time. Tigers should have been wary i believe but not being privy to any discussions they had i cant say they weren't.**
Packer is a good example of someone that seems to have learnt his lesson and appears to exude integrity from what I have heard.

Sorry wasn’t specifically talking about the Musgrove case yet all NRL clubs in general. They don’t know but probably hope players are willing to take each opportunity with both hands and not do stupid things.
Think it’s an unfortunate situation to be in and sadly just an error in judgement on behalf of whoever recruits the players. But I understand that coaches are going in with blind faith too.
I know many suggest it’s an overused concept but I feel that club culture is important because even though the NRL doesn’t particularly follow through with certain standards, clubs most certainly can.

I caught Russell Packer on League Life this year and he was very impressive. He’s very articulate and well spoken. He emphasised how his poor decision making had changed the trajectory of his life and how he hoped he could inspire others. Didn’t mince his words and told about his own rehabilitation process (jail) and how he’s moved on with his life. Mentioned he still regrets what he did.

Our sport has people like Wayne Bennett, signing Matt Lodge on the cheap in a pathetic attempt to win a premiership and keep his job.

And that sums it up.

If a club is pressured to sack a player, it's a safe bet that someone will sign them up if the player is half decent, once the dust has settled.

The NRL need to set some rules that all clubs play by.

Banning players with a criminal record would be a good start.

@ said:
Our sport has people like Wayne Bennett, signing Matt Lodge on the cheap in a pathetic attempt to win a premiership and keep his job.

And that sums it up.

If a club is pressured to sack a player, it's a safe bet that someone will sign them up if the player is half decent, once the dust has settled.

It is called leadership from the top and the NRL is totally bereft of any form of leadership

@ said:
@ said:

If the player in the ESL or NRL knew they couldn't play the game at all if they brought it into disrepute for 2 years it would have some **think twice**

X2
There's definitely not an abundance of scholars in prop department

@ said:
@ said:

And that sums it up.

It is called leadership from the top and the NRL is totally bereft of any form of leadership

Cammy will have more time on his hands when he stops playing :wink:

@ said:
@ said:

They can't think twice if they can't think the first time around.

Members online

Back