NRLW General Discussion

I think this is great news!

Wests Tigers admitted to NRLW in 2023​

Wests Tigers will field a team in the NRLW for the first time in 2023 after today having its license application approved by the ARL Commission.
It is a landmark day for the joint-venture club which will join nine other NRLW teams in an expanded 10-team competition next year.

Canberra Raiders, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks and North Queensland Cowboys are the other teams to be admitted to the Premiership in 2023.

The license approval comes on the back of significant investment in pathways over the past three years in the women’s program, and just a few weeks before the club moves into its new $78m Centre of Excellence within the Concord Oval Community and Sports Precinct.
As a club Wests Tigers is already well established in the women’s game, fielding teams in all representative age groups up to and including the Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says it’s a historic day for the organisation, “We are delighted with the decision to approve our application and we are excited by the opportunities ahead.
I’m thrilled for all the girls we currently have in our system and those who will come into our sport as a result of this.” We have experienced steady growth in female participation in our catchment areas over the past few years, and I’m sure this will not just continue but accelerate.”
CEO Justin Pascoe
"We can now say to all those girls and young women who play our game, that one day, they might play in the NRLW with the Wests Tigers.”
It’s also a great day for our members and fans. I know they will embrace our women’s NRLW team and give the girls all the support they deserve.”
It’s a brilliant day for the club.”
Head of Football Tim Sheens has seen first-hand the hard work that has been undertaken to get to this point, “A lot of people have worked around the clock to get our application over the line, and they are to be congratulated.”
From what I’ve seen, we are in a very strong position as a club to field a team in the women’s topflight, and the numbers are there to show that.”
Director of Football, Tim Sheens
"We have good pathways systems in place, good people in the right positions, and a vast development area stretching from the Inner West expanding through to the Southwestern corridor.”
Now thousands of young females can aspire to make it to the top with us at the Wests Tigers and play professional rugby league with their local club.”

The NRLW team will train out of the Centre of Excellence alongside West Tigers NRL team, and the synergy doesn’t end there.
The club is pleased to announce that its women’s team will also proudly display the same shirtfront sponsor as the NRL team, with Brydens Lawyers extending its sponsorship to include the NRLW side.
Wests Tigers Chairman and Principal of Brydens Lawyers Lee Hagipantelis says his law firm is elated with the news, “As the major sponsor of Wests Tigers men's team, I will not hesitate to add sponsorship of the NRLW team to our partnership and I do so with incredible enthusiasm and unremitting joy."
Brydens Lawyers has and continues to be committed to sponsorship and promotion of women's sports and the securement of the NRLW licence by Wests Tigers affirms our alignment in ideals and principles.”
Principal Brydens Lawyers, Lee Hagipantelis
'I anxiously await the day that I see the NRLW team run out at Leichhardt Oval or Campbelltown Sports Stadium adorned with the Brydens Lawyers logo. Congratulations to all involved in the successful application."
Much like the club’s Harvey Norman Women’s side, the NRLW side will have a heavy emphasis on home grown talent.
Wests Tigers HNW captain Emily Curtain - who grew up playing with the boys teams at Eagle Vale St Andrews - thinks this will do wonders for participation, “It’s been a dream of mine for a few years now to play at the highest level with my local club and now hopefully it can happen.”
There are loads of girls coming through our pathways system as it stands. I’m sure this will lead to more and more girls from our area wanting to play footy.”
Emily Curtain
Curtain and twin sister Sophie are among many great development stories for the Wests Tigers. Losana Lutu is another player making rapid progress. The 18-year-old from Leumeah made her HNW Premiership debut at Leichhardt just a few weeks ago and has since gained representative honours with the NSW City Under 19’s team.
Helping these young women along their career paths at the Wests Tigers is injured club captain Botille Vette-Welsh. She is one of a handful of current Wests Tigers players with NRLW experience, and knows what to expect at the elite level.
I’ve been mentoring these girls while I’ve been out injured, and I can’t speak highly enough about their enthusiasm, work ethic, and love for the game.”
Botille Vette-Welsh
We’ve seen several players already step up from Tarsha Gale to Harvey Norman, and there are many more within the current group who are now ready for the NRLW."

Well done to those who have worked behind the scenes to make this happen. Perhaps we aren't as much of a shambles as some seem to think.

While we are not having much success in the NRL, and we appear from the outside to be in a bit of turmoil at the moment, this win demonstrates that the club can plan and then execute a plan.

I look forward to having a team for my Granddaughter and I to support in the NRLW next year.

Great news. They've clearly spent a bit of time, effort and money on this - the current HNW team has some big names (they signed Apps and Sergis for this season), so hopefully they can get a competitive unit together for the step up.

Great news!

Hopefully we can keep the liked of Sergis, Apps, Bo and recruit other top talents and become a force in this comp.

Our girls will have the best training environment in the comp - surely an attraction for the club.

Hopefully, I'm pretty sure the existing clubs have been signing Players already (Millie Boyle to knights etc.)
Hopefully we've known for a while and been getting some jump on Players...

Seems odd to come into the comp 6 months in advance when the market is all signed up.

Is the season commencing next year at the beginning of the mens comp or towards the end of it.

Hopefully they go better than the mens team.
I will be trying to get my cuz over from the drag queens. They won the u18 gf last year.

Hopefully, I'm pretty sure the existing clubs have been signing Players already (Millie Boyle to knights etc.)
Hopefully we've known for a while and been getting some jump on Players...

Seems odd to come into the comp 6 months in advance when the market is all signed up.
Those signings were for this upcoming season (2022).

We come into the comp next year (2023). Not many players are signed to multiple year deals in women's footy so hopefully we get on the front foot. Sergis is playing for roosters in 2022 NRLW as we weren't even an option, for 2023 she has a decision to make!

Really disappointed with Pascoe's presser.
Tie undone, hair a mess (nothing can be done with that I'm afraid) and unshaven.
For such a big announcement for our girls you would think our CEO could put in a little bit more effort for this one.
Glory hunter!

Katie Brown saying we're to be announced to be included tomorrow,
Along with Raiders Sharks and Cows

Anyone confirm?
As it stands, Thursday, March 2 is the date clubs have been advised is most likely for the NRL competition’s kick-off. It’s the earliest the competition has started in over 20 years.
We have now got a bigger NRLW comp and the WT are included in it but I can't seem to find any info on their proposes start to the season. If someone has found info pls share.
This is a big deal for our club and we need to get the jump on promoting this adventure for the girls.
Wests Tigers claimed their maiden Harvey Norman Women’s Premiership after a thrilling 21-20 victory over the Cronulla Sharks at Campbelltown Sports Stadium and I suspect that this team will make up the majority of the new NRLW side next year.

SmartSelect_20221010-090731_DuckDuckGo.jpg
The Official Weststigers Webpage doesn't have anything in the teams dropdown panel atm, just the Mens NRL and KOE Teams.
I'm hoping WT can start putting in confirmed signings and profiles/pictures soon to create more interest and excitement.
The girls will be using the COE so it's go go go.

Latest posts

Back