Nrl permanent injury

Odessa

Hi I was just wondering what people think of permanent injuries due to playing NRL and permanent injuries caused at work I see the Rugby league Players Association is pulling out the retired injured players card now

As a grown adult I understand the danger's in life and the risk you have leaving home every day I have a life insurance policy I also have loss of income insurance and had icare before

But what I don't understand is how a grown adult doesn't think about getting injured for life playing such a brutal sport and what is the responsibility of the players management in assessing The dangers to the player and taking out some type of insurance policy for injuries caused by playing or do they just want to keep all the money they earn and not think about what could be or she will be right attitude

No one forced you to play you choose to play take the risk and take the money and if you don't plan for injuries caused by playing who's responsible for your life ?

People get injured at work every day why are NRL players so special

Will be interesting to hear what people think

People get injured at work every day why are NRL players so special
Glad you made this post, Yet I think the "why are NRL players so special" is the wrong attitude.
If Cleaners have to work safely, but Construction workers don't, then why are they special? (or vice versa). Many of these players are Parents, they deserve to come home to their kids and come home without Brain damage or loosing an arm (O'Dwyer), spine (Alex Mc, Jarred McCracken, etc).

Injuries will happen and I am glad there is insurance to help.

More glad the NRL Bans the Shoulder charge because people are getting wiped out. Likewise we should do the 5m rule rather then the 10m back that we currently do. Less head knocks, less people being permanently hurt.

It's a sport, injuries happen. Allowing a game where people get injured regularly and develop altzheimers at 40 is grossly wrong. It's not a choice, it's a risk. Lets minimise it.

Youd think the insurance premiums would be astronomical
I have permanent disability insurance on my super fund and a mate lost his eye sight and had permanent disability insurance on his and was paid out everything has a cost and it would be a percent of your future earnings

Glad you made this post, Yet I think the "why are NRL players so special" is the wrong attitude.
If Cleaners have to work safely, but Construction workers don't, then why are they special? (or vice versa). Many of these players are Parents, they deserve to come home to their kids and come home without Brain damage or loosing an arm (O'Dwyer), spine (Alex Mc, Jarred McCracken, etc).

More glad the NRL Bans the Shoulder charge because people are getting wiped out. Likewise we should do the 5m rule rather then the 10m back that we currently do. Less head knocks, less people being permanently hurt.

It's a sport, injuries happen. Allowing a game where people get injured regularly and develop altzheimers at 40 is grossly wrong. It's not a choice, it's a risk. Lets minimise it.
I have been saying for the last 20 years that we should go back to the old 5 meter rule.With the weight of the modern footballer plus the additional impact of collisions because of the extra distance players run you are actually making the game even more brutal than it should be.I hope it does not take a death on the field for the NRL to realistically start thinking about player safety.The game would certainly be slower but it could quite easily bring back a higher level of skill to the game
Apologies for the rant

The NRL should be looking after it, I think it's a big topic in the current contract negotiations. It's also the smart thing to do from a business stand point. Athletes get more empowered as time goes on and if you don't provide it someone else will, current state of the UFC is a prime example, they could easily fold in a few years if they aren't careful and see more high profile defections.

I have been saying for the last 20 years that we should go back to the old 5 meter rule.With the weight of the modern footballer plus the additional impact of collisions because of the extra distance players run you are actually making the game even more brutal than it should be.I hope it does not take a death on the field for the NRL to realistically start thinking about player safety.The game would certainly be slower but it could quite easily bring back a higher level of skill to the game
Apologies for the rant
5m rule will make it look like rugby jad, rugby to me has lost it's pazazz because the ruck and mauls go on forever without penetration.
I understand the impact side of things and long term implications but hey it's a contact sport and that's what they signed up for. Ban boxing?
First time I've ever dissagreed with you my pal 🤣 love your music 👍

one of the women said it cost her $3.5K, so even if the men are $5K its nothing. NRL and the
players union should be negotiating with the insurance companies, not each other. cant see the trees through the forest.

Under the current game laws there is just about the same risk of getting brain injury as there is in a game of basketball where you can cop an accidental deadly elbow to the temple. Gridiron players can get brain injuries with hekmets on because their brain impacts inside the scull, as an ex boxer I know you can get ya brain rattled wearing headgear.
You minimise the risks and waiver your rights once you sign the contract.
Insurance should be no different to a scaffolder falling off a roof.

Apologies for the rant
The only problem with the 5 metre rule it would be 3 metres for some teams 8 metres for the high end of town.

I hope it does not take a death on the field for the NRL to realistically start thinking about player safety
It will either be this or a class action lawsuit. I always hold my breath when a player gets knocked out cold and doesn’t move after a bad head knock.

Last edited:
You minimise the risks and waiver your rights once you sign the contract.
That is not how employment law works though.

Reasonable steps need to be taken to prevent injuries, the ‘concussion protocols’ are reactionary and do nothing to prevent concussions.

The sport will be on a hiding to nothing legally within 10 years (or sooner if a player dies on the field during a televised broadcast.)

I believe concussion protocols are sufficient and would stand up in court. I made reference to bball. Elbows to the temple can kill, my son played for the crocs and he being a centre copped heaps, hockey players, do they wear helmets, i could list several sports right down to Olympic sports. Do golfers keep galleries away from players who are driving a ball and hundred kms/hr when teeing off and could kill them etc etc. Apparently high board divers if they get it wrong can snap their heads. Be realistic. The world is a dangerous place. Councils banned those spinning play ground things but still have climbing stuff, yeh they put soft rubber under them but the kid can still break his neck if he falls and no kid will take notice of a sign. Eat dirt and toughen up 🤣

I believe concussion protocols are sufficient and would stand up in court. I made reference to bball. Elbows to the temple can kill, my son played for the crocs and he being a centre copped heaps, hockey players, do they wear helmets, i could list several sports right down to Olympic sports. Do golfers keep galleries away from players who are driving a ball and hundred kms/hr when teeing off and could kill them etc etc. Apparently high board divers if they get it wrong can snap their heads. Be realistic. The world is a dangerous place. Councils banned those spinning play ground things but still have climbing stuff, yeh they put soft rubber under them but the kid can still break his neck if he falls and no kid will take notice of a sign. Eat dirt and toughen up 🤣
But the world is no longer there. It’s always someone else’s fault when the shit hits the fan.

as long as the sport does what it can in attempt to reduce head injuries great. Every job has an element of risk. Some jobs more than others and often the remuneration is reflective of the risk.

individuals need to understand and accept responsibility that things can go wrong.
this excludes acts of stupidity and sheer violence (eg Danny Williams king hit, storm tackling methods etc).

having said all of that, players are entitled to compensation and should be paid the Same amount that you and I would be if we are injured at work, their salary protection insurance will pay them the agreed amounts.

I think both the NRL and the RLPA have agreed on a fund to cover future medical problems. Its just that they are miles apart on how much to startup, who runs it and how it works. I saw an article the other day where the NRL reckons they offered to initially fund the scheme with a 200 mil startup. The RLPA said that was bs and they were only offered 15 mil. I would say they are both lying and the figure would be somewhere between those 2.
I also believe the players have some responsibility towards their future healthcare. I think a percentage of their contract should be allocated to the fund each year.

I think both the NRL and the RLPA have agreed on a fund to cover future medical problems. Its just that they are miles apart on how much to startup, who runs it and how it works. I saw an article the other day where the NRL reckons they offered to initially fund the scheme with a 200 mil startup. The RLPA said that was bs and they were only offered 15 mil. I would say they are both lying and the figure would be somewhere between those 2.
I also believe the players have some responsibility towards their future healthcare. I think a percentage of their contract should be allocated to the fund each year.
Spot on mate, we have to pay insurance/super/
medical/training education fees etc so what's the go. Surely they contribute???
Four or five years ago clubs had to contribute around $100,000 extra per annum to pay for career-ending injuries after rugby league followed the AFL's lead in shifting to a self-insurance scheme. I'm unsure if this is still the case?? or is it spilt between the NRL and the clubs to fit the bill, having said that, surely there has to be a player payment element in there somewhere.

Back