Newtown Jets (Sharks Reserves)

The Newtown Jets (Sharks Reserves) are no doubt the best quality team across the KOE Cup and Qld Cup competitions, they pile on plenty of points almost every week and when you look at their line up, the forwards are not much to get excited about, so presumably they just do their job, but a vast majority of their 1-7 are NRL quality, some of them already proven.
Obviously Braydon Trindall is the main highlight, I think most people would agree he’s the obvious NRL star halfback in waiting, but they have others such as Marwene Hiroti who is tall, strong and fast, he plays anywhere from 1-5, has scored tries at NRL level for the Rabbitohs a few seasons back and would be a much more seasoned player now with a few more successful seasons at KOE level under his belt.
Sam Stonestreet is a hot young 19y.o prospect, he’s a prolific try scorer who is tall, strong and fast winger/centre/fullback who looks a younger clone of Campbell Graham.
Connor Tracey has always impressed at NRL level with his high energy and determination, but cannot get a look in at NRL level at the Sharks when they are full strength. He is a fantastic utility who would be very valuable to the Wests Tigers.
5/8 and utility Daniel Atkinson who showed his quality in the trials and has the high energy required to go lift a struggling team such as Wests Tigers.
Then you have Kayal Iro who has been a standout Centre at this level for the past couple of seasons, he would make many NRL starting sides, but stuck behind two very good centres at the Sharks.
Even Matt Ikavalu who is getting a bit on in age now, but he was quality every time he was called upon at NRL level on the wing for the Roosters. No idea why he’d be happy sitting in reserves at this stage of his career.
I think the majority of them have been smartly contracted as back up players at the Sharks, but all of them would either be guaranteed starters or strongly pushing for NRL selection at Wests Tigers and would significantly boost the quality of our NRL Team/Squad in my opinion.
Surely some good negotiating could work out a way to get them ASAP, even if we offer swapping players who are not working out for us such as Nofa, Laurie, Talau, Brooks etc for this season.

** These players are realistic recruitment options who are surely wanting to play NRL on a regular basis, it won’t happen for them when the Sharks are full strength.
** High energy players are key for lifting a struggling side, so others that are not getting regular NRL game time such as Blake Taafe, Jayden Sullivan and Brad Schneider should also be targets for us.
** Geez it would be nice having a halves selection of Braydon Trindall, Jayden Sullivan, Brad Schneider, Blake Taafe and Daniel Atkinson instead of what we currently have.
Our backline basically doesn't have much going for it.

I wonder if we picked a cup side like this where the backrow is in harmony and maybe kept Naden....

Would we get a better result? At least we would have people who have played together. Heck lets just take anyone who can keep a defensive line.

I keep saying it but we need high energy players to help lift our NRL side.
You can’t get much more high energy than Connor Tracey.
Sam Stonestreet only 19/20 definitely has NRL written all over him and has not spot in the Sharks NRL backline when they are full strength.
All 3, Braydon Trindall, Connor Tracey and Sam Stonestreet are NRL quality currently co reacted with the Sharks for the next couple of seasons, but will not play NRL at the Sharks unless they get injuries.
They would make a positive difference to our NRL side that’s for sure.

The Jets are what the Magpies should be aiming to be. But we're not, we're still somewhat of a laughing stock at that grade. Yet some people have a go at me for saying we need to demand higher standards if we ultimately want these players to play NRL, all because we won a scrappy game (which in the big picture means nothing)

The Jets are what the Magpies should be aiming to be. But we're not, we're still somewhat of a laughing stock at that grade. Yet some people have a go at me for saying we need to demand higher standards if we ultimately want these players to play NRL, all because we won a scrappy game (which in the big picture means nothing)
You are talking the Jets up too much - they have had 5 wins - they beat the teams coming 12th, 11th 9th and 8th. They lost to the team coming 7th. Their one win against a top side was when they beat the Bulldogs last weekend although the Dogs side has been hit hard with injuries.

Latest posts

Back