Michael Potter Article explains this mess

TYGA

**<big>Former Wests Tigers coach says Robbie Farah’s forced exit a result of mismanagement at the club</big>\
\
August 26, 2015 10:00pm
Paul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph\
\**
FORMER Wests Tigers coach Mick Potter has accused the club of playing “Fantasy League with other people’s money” which has led to the bombshell split with captain Robbie Farah.

The Tigers face being left paying a large portion of Farah’s $1 million-a-season salary over the final two years of his contract despite the fact the star hooker will be playing for another club.

And while backing the Tigers’ decision to hand power to new coach Jason Taylor, Potter revealed he warned the club against signing Farah to a four-year deal back in 2013 but claimed his concerns were “dismissed”.

The hugely inflated and back-ended four-year Farah deal was struck in the early stages of Potter’s troubled two-year term at the Tigers.

Under the Tigers’ dysfunctional former management, Potter said he had so little control over playing personnel that he was even questioned about signing powerhouse forward Martin Taupau.

Potter made pleas to only offer Farah a two-year deal but, as head coach, said he didn’t have control over the decision.

“No I didn’t,” Potter revealed. “My input was dismissed.

“I thought that was the right thing to do for Robbie and the club. And if he was still going well at the end of the two years, you could have kept him on.

“Age becomes no barrier. But you don’t sign a 30-year-old for four years, I don’t think.”

Asked who made the decision, Potter said: “The then board and the CEO (Grant Mayer) at the time.

“I wasn’t in control of the tenure of most of the players.”

The struggling Tigers will now be left to carry the can for the final two years of what is believed to be a $1 million-a-season contract, if Farah does leave for another NRL club and doesn’t get the same cash.

Asked if he felt disappointed by the damage coaching the Tigers did to his reputation, Potter said: “I think I finished up with a group of people who were very divisive.
\
\
“Not all, there were some very lovely people at Wests Tigers. But it was an organisation that had so many issues and needed so many changes.

“I have never been at a club like that but it was out of my control. I wasn’t able to assemble my own squad as such apart from a couple of players.

“Even with Marty Taupau, I got questioned if he was the right player for our club. They are heading in the right direction now but it is going to take a little while.

“(Jason Taylor this week) has got what a head coach should have. The power and autonomy of his roster and his staff.

“Not people who would lobby the board to get their players on the books with little or no consultation with the coach. And that is what happened. It is absolutely absurd.

“Call it naivety, I don’t know what you call it. They were trying to play ‘Fantasy League’ with real players but other people’s money instead of looking at it as a business.”

Asked if he had his time over would he still have accepted the Tigers’ coaching job, Potter said: “Well, no. Probably not.

“But it was the only gig going. They were talking about the board change for 12 months.

“If that had have happened (early in his final year) I think things could have been slightly different. “I am not saying all the problems would have been solved but they would be a year ahead of where they are now.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/former-wests-tigers-coach-says-robbie-farahs-forced-exit-a-result-of-mismanagement-at-the-club/story-fnp0lyn3-1227500210270
\
\
\
**<big>GUYS - PLEASE INCLUDE TITLE, AND SOURCE CREDITS TO ARTICLES. 117</big>**

Shows again that they didnt let Potter be a coach…. And now it goes back to the Ex CEO Mayer.. Who made that dumb decision of signing Farah a 4 year deal at the age of 30!! Seriously.. Farah has caused a lot of issues at this club in the past 3 years.. It's time for him to go.. Soo the young players can take this club to a new level.. And they can focus on there footy.. Not Farah bringing up issues around the club.. It's not fair on the fans and the players.. That we always have trouble surrounding our club due to a player like Robbie! It now goes to show.. Potter was the right man.. Just didn't give him a chance to show what he got.. Because he brought Marty here.. And look at him now.. And people had doubts.. About potter bringing Marty.. Is silly.. Very silly...

_Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0_

Wow I am amazed with this article. I take back anything I said about potter…
\
\
Wow
\
\
Good on him. He said his peace and kept it classy. Bring him back Taylor.

EDIT-117

Gee we hired some dumb CEO back to bak in Humpty and Mayer… No wonder this board sacked him!!!!

I always thought Mayer was just a shonky car salesman. He was a disgraceful CEO

Where is the new CEO??? We need someone to be the spokesperson for this club and lead us out of this mess. How long does it take to find a replacement? Or maybe we just dont have any takers.

@Telltails said:
Where is the new CEO??? We need someone to be the spokesperson for this club and lead us out of this mess. How long does it take to find a replacement? Or maybe we just dont have any takers.

Decision made, board awaiting the lowest moments of the Robbie Farah situation to pass before rebuilding momentum and memberships with the naming of the CEO.

See if im right.

“They are heading in the right direction now but it is going to take a little while.

It does appear that way, shame it's taken so long and will still take some time though

“But it was the only gig going. They were talking about the board change for 12 months.
>
“If that had have happened (early in his final year) I think things could have been slightly different. “I am not saying all the problems would have been solved but they would be a year ahead of where they are now.”

Yep, the change should have happened earlier, unfortunate for Potter that it didn't happen, we'd be in less of a mess.

Is my memory playing tricks or was there supposedly an offer on the table for Robbie Farah from Parramatta Eels at the time of the negotiation of his current contract? Wasn't it the threat of Robbie joining Parramatta that forced the Tigers to make a quick offer to him?

Still carrying himself with dignity after putting up with two years of utter crap with this club. Was never allowed to be the shining light in a dark period for our club.

Reckon that we would be nearer the other end of the ladder had WT let him have the reins. He tried to wrest control but instead of backing him, they gave Robbie an extension that was always going to bite us on the arse. No hindsight necessary either as it was very obviously a wrong decision at the time.

No wonder Robbie hated Potter.
He is part of the reason we are in the mess w are in today.
I don't blame him for wanting an exorbitant deal…. But it takes two to tango

@TYGA said:
Asked if he had his time over would he still have accepted the Tigers’ coaching job, Potter said: “Well, no. Probably not."

As a Wests Tigers fan, I think this is the most depressing part of the whole Potter story. He regrets coming to the club.

Terrible shame, he got rid of some big pieces of dead wood, but lost out trying to get rid of the biggest piece.

I always liked Potter the person and the coach….if he was allowed to control the squad we would DEFINATELY be in the top 8,even the top 4 this year...

I hope people give this board the time to clean this rabble up before it deteriorates further....I bet the new CEO isn't a MAYER,Humpty type.the candidate will be very astute...

"Asked who made the decision, Potter said: “The then board and the CEO (Grant Mayer) at the time"

Problem I have with this is that Farah's contract was announced in March of 2013, Mayer didn't become CEO of the club till July 26th 2013, So how on earth did he apparently make this decision on Farah's contract ? It was Humphreys not Mayer !!

@MightyMaggy said:
Is my memory playing tricks or was there supposedly an offer on the table for Robbie Farah from Parramatta Eels at the time of the negotiation of his current contract? Wasn't it the threat of Robbie joining Parramatta that forced the Tigers to make a quick offer to him?

Yes and a couple of other clubs

I find this article strange. It contradicts himself a little, he says he had no control over the signings of the team but then he says he was questioned about signing Marty.

If we look back it was the current board that showed Potter the door so are they any better then Grant??? I for one want Potter back but I don't think that will happen.

@THE POM said:
"Asked who made the decision, Potter said: “The then board and the CEO (Grant Mayer) at the time"

Problem I have with this is that Farah's contract was announced in March of 2013, Mayer didn't become CEO of the club till July 26th 2013, So how on earth did he apparently make this decision on Farah's contract ? It was Humphreys not Mayer !!

If that's true
Maybe Potter isn't as honest as he tries to make out he is.
It sounds like a prequel to a job application elsewhere

@innsaneink said:
No wonder Robbie hated Potter.
He is part of the reason we are in the mess w are in today.
I don't blame him for wanting an exorbitant deal…. But it takes two to tango

I saw potter the other day working at the drive-thru at macca's!
Seriously if potter was as half decent as people think why hasn't he got another gig?????
Because he's crap, can't get a 20's gig state cup, assistant water boy nothing…. Why? See beginning of sentence.
Classy what a joke, when farahs down he comes out of the woodwork to slipper him in the head..... Yet all class.
And Marty kapow well if u count 3 good games in one season a great player, well that will do me!
Marty's got a fair way to go in my opinion, really should be coming off the bench not starting.

Back