Lee & JP finally lose the confidence of the Board??

Snidest 0

Civil war erupts at Wests Tigers as axe hovers over chairman Lee Hagipantelis​

Michael Chammas

ByMichael Chammas

A civil war is set to erupt at the Wests Tigers with chairman Lee Hagipantelis on the brink of being overthrown after rejecting an invitation from the club’s majority shareholder to stand down from his position just days after being re-appointed.

The Herald can also reveal that Tigers powerbrokers have discussed the possibility of bringing the likes of former NSW premier and ex-Tigers chairman Barry O’Farrell, as well as former Australian Olympic Committee president John Coates, onto the board in some capacity.

Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe and chairman Lee Hagipantelis.

Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe and chairman Lee Hagipantelis.CREDIT:GETTY
It comes in the midst of an external governance and culture review into the under-siege club that will place both Hagipantelis and chief executive Justin Pascoe under the microscope following the Tigers’ 12th consecutive season without a finals appearance.
The review has been called by the Holman Barnes Group, the 60 per cent majority shareholder of the club that also runs Wests Ashfield Leagues Club.

Sources talking under the condition of anonymity told this masthead that Tigers board member Tony Andreacchio, speaking on behalf of the Holman Barnes Group, recently contacted Hagipantelis to invite him to stand down as chairman.
Andreacchio also informed Hagipantelis that his tenure was only extended as an independent director and not as chairman despite News Corp last month reporting that Hagipantelis was re-elected as chairman of the Wests Tigers until November 2025.
Chairman Lee Hagipantelis at Tigers HQ.

Chairman Lee Hagipantelis at Tigers HQ.CREDIT:OSCAR COLMAN
The move could put the club’s near $1,000,000 a season major sponsorship deal with Hagipantelis’ company Bryden’s Lawyers in jeopardy.
Certain members of the board are now disputing the details around the motion that was passed at the meeting last month. The minutes of the meeting were taken by Tigers chief financial officer Mark Sawicki.

Hagipantelis is privately strongly refuting the notion that he was only extended as a director, and not as chairman.
“This review has been commissioned by the Holman Barnes group and all enquiries concerning the review should be directed to them”, Hagipantelis said when contacted for comment by this masthead.
Andreacchio did not want to be drawn into the specifics of his conversation with the chairman.
“At the moment we have an external review on the whole club,” he told this masthead. “It’s probably an inappropriate time to make any formal or informal comment at the moment. This review is very critical.
“The Holman Barnes Group is one of the major shareholders and are very much behind it. I think any comment doesn’t serve any purpose at the moment. Currently he is the chairman.”

The Wests Tigers constitution provides for up to nine directors to be appointed. At the moment there is only seven following the resignation of independent director James Myatt a month ago.
Sources talking under the condition of anonymity told this masthead that part of the reason the board moved to extend Hagipantelis’ tenure was to ensure the board remained validly constituted.
Former AOC president John Coates.

Former AOC president John Coates.CREDIT:GETTY
Under the constitution, the board has to have at least one independent director at all times. Hagipantelis is the only independent director currently on the board.
When asked if the Tigers wanted to bring O’Farrell or Coates on the board, Andreacchio insisted a decision wouldn’t be made until after the review.

“Independent directors are always open up to review to see who is available and who would like to come on,” he said. “It’s something we’re holding off on until the end of this review. Until then, there’ll be no further action. I don’t want to derail the review in any shape or form.”
The review is also a topic of great conjecture. Sources talking under the condition of anonymity have also questioned the independence of one of the two men appointed to undertake the review.
Reviewer Gary Barnier.

Reviewer Gary Barnier.CREDIT:WOLTER PEETERS
Former NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford and Gary Barnier are in charge of the review set to be completed by the end of the month.
The questioning of independence surrounds Barnier, who is one of 13 Wests Tigers Foundation members announced on the club’s website that have donated $100,000 to the club over a four-year period. The Barnier Family is also listed as one of the “Foundation 13” with another $100,000 donation to the club. So too is Hagipantelis and Coates.

The donation for this group is a tax-deductible $100,000 for a lifetime involvement — it can be made in pairs and payment plans up to four years.
Barnier strongly opposes suggestion that his financial contribution means he has a conflict of interest.
“I took the decision to provide money to the club through that Foundation 13, which meant I could contribute - because I can afford to contribute - but I get nothing in return for it,” Barnier told this masthead.
“It’s just like a super-high level of membership, I suppose. That’s the beginning and end of it. I’m not getting paid for this review.
“I’ve offered to do it because of my emotional connection and my family’s emotional connection with the club. That’s all it is. I can’t think of any possible conflict of interest.”

An explosive meeting on Friday morning is set to determine the fate of Wests Tigers chair Lee Hagipantelis as the club’s most influential figure fights to retain his job along with his right-hand man, chief executive Justin Pascoe.
In a major development that has created renewed instability for rookie coach Benji Marshall as he prepares to launch his head coaching career, Hagipantelis will take part in an independent review meeting on Friday.

Pascoe will follow in coming days as their positions at the helm of the embattled club hang by the barest of threads amid fresh talk of internal bickering.

The Tigers’ majority owners the Holman Barnes Group ordered an independent review into the club last month following yet another season of bitter disappointment, which culminated in a second successive wooden spoon.

There was speculation at the time that the review would bring about the downfall of Pascoe and Hagipantelis, the latter having ploughed more than $10 million into the club through sponsorship.

An explosive meeting could determine the fate of West Tigers Board Director Lee Hagipantelis (right) and CEO Justin Pascoe (left). Picture: Getty Images

An explosive meeting could determine the fate of West Tigers Board Director Lee Hagipantelis (right) and CEO Justin Pascoe (left). Picture: Getty Images
Those fears appear to be coming to fruition despite the review still in the throes of completion. The respective roles of Hagipantelis and Pascoe were expected to be central to the review, which was ordered by the Holman Barnes Group after a group of fans secured more than 2,000 signatures on a petition calling for change.

Remarkably, speculation over the future of Hagipantelis comes only weeks after he told this masthead that his tenure as chair had been extended for a further three years.

It is believed some other members of the board are now disputing those claims. Their argument is that his board position was extended, not necessarily his role as chair.

Hagipantelis will speak to the former NRL chief financial officer Tony Crawford – one of the two men chosen to conduct the independent review – on Friday morning.

The drama comes just weeks after Hagipantelis extended his stay at the club by another three years. Picture: Getty Images.

The drama comes just weeks after Hagipantelis extended his stay at the club by another three years. Picture: Getty Images.
He is unlikely to hold back given the sense that the review was a witch-hunt designed to claim the scalps of the chair and the chief executive, who are closely aligned.

The review was expected to speak to more than 40 figures from across the game about the Tigers as the club sought answers for nearly a decade of mediocrity. Change has already taken place on the coaching level – Tim Sheens parted ways with the club at the end of the season, with Marshall stepping into the head coaching role a year ahead of schedule.

Sheens’ loyal lieutenant David Furner also left the club while they are exploring the appointment of a head of football, having sought out former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika and Parramatta’s Mark O’Neill.

Fans have called for change at the club, after 2000 people signed a petition.

Fans have called for change at the club, after 2000 people signed a petition.

More Coverage​

Des v Manly feud explodes as former coach takes club to court
Why referee Adam Gee cried after NRL grand final performance
Talks with Cheika are yet to advance given his World Cup commitments and the ongoing review, which is due to be completed as early as next week. The board of the Holman Barnes Group will then digest the findings before deciding on the best way forward.

The sense is that Hagipantelis and Pascoe may not be part of the new guard. Pascoe has been chief executive for nearly a decade, a time when the club has made strides off the field but gone backwards on it.

Hagipantelis has been happy to take the bullets for his chief executive while pouring millions of dollars into the Tigers. Money, however, is not an issue for the club given the financial might of the Holman Barnes Group.

Well, you had to wonder how many spoons the club needs to win for the Board to ask questions.

The Roosters would have moved everyone on if they missed the semis, let alone missed them for over a decade, won the club's first spoon, and then became the first club to finish 17th ...

The club was never willing to listen to it supporter base and now it would appear it’s two major figures are going to get the chop. The petition probably got the ball rolling. Never underestimate the power of the people, and let’s hope this is the start of a exciting new era for the club and it’s long suffering fans

Id love to see TV footage of Gadget leaving the Zurich center, boxes full ofcrap after beig told to "clean out your office"
I wonder if the departure would be robust & agressive?

As much as i think Pascoe is a problem at the club i would have to say that Lee and the rest of the board are a far bigger one.They all should go

Re-Signed and sacked all in a few weeks?
That could never happen !

😂

Amateur hour for the club that had an aspirational statement of being Man Utd.

And some thought it couldn’t get worse off the back of winning 2 wooden spoons

All this club does is talk. Their actions speak alot louder than words which is all related to their ego and self preservation rather than the unity and clubs best interest.

Amateur hour for the club that had an aspirational statement of being Man Utd.

And some thought it couldn’t get worse off the back of winning 2 wooden spoons

All this club does is talk. Their actions speak alot louder than words which is all related to their ego and self preservation rather than the unity and clubs best interest.
Man. United.
Yes, I remember that reference just after the premiership win in 2005; Steve Noyce the CEO said we'd become the Man United of the NRL.
I'm sure Steve meant well, but the story that followed speaks for itself.

Lee..” I serve at the pleasure of the board”..

Unless they don’t want me.. then I’m still going to serve anyway..
Have some dignity and walk away just like all the highly qualified coaches you muppets sacked did.

Just shows they are all about themselves and couldn’t give a stuff about the club or it’s fans.

You are no longer “relevant” at Wests Tigers.

The problem is clearly not the finances of the club but they got a CFO to come in and do the review.

Shouldn't they have gotten like an ex coach, football director etc to do the review? Possibly in addition to the CFO?

When I spoke with him, he said he was doing it for free because he wants to help the club better and is doing it for his family not to make money.
He also tipped in 100 grand out of his pocket and didn’t demand to go on the radio and spin shit every week. Not surprised he’s keen for a review.

The problem is clearly not the finances of the club but they got a CFO to come in and do the review.

Shouldn't they have gotten like an ex coach, football director etc to do the review? Possibly in addition to the CFO?
Yeah maybe Madge, Sheens and Cleary. Three former premiership winning coaches, bet they could all tell you what’s wrong with the joint. Problem is they all signed confidentiality agreements. Lol.

Members online

Back