Joey - 2019 v 2020

boonboon

So I thought for something different I'd look at Joey Leilua as he has now played 12 games and he also played 12 games for the GF Raider last year so a good time to compare.

2019 v 2020
Games - 12 v 12
Tries - 4 v 4 - Same
Runs - 10.3 v 10.7 - Improved
Meters Per Game - 91m v 91m - Same
Try & LB Assists - 4 v 4 Same
Line Breaks - 7 v 4 Got worse
Tackle Breaks - 40 v 43 - Improved
Offloads - 15 v 23 - Improved
Ave Tackles - 9.3 v 7.8
Missed Tackles - 1.1 v 1.6 - Sligtly worse
Errors - 7 v 7 - Same
Penalties Conceded - 8 vs 4 - Improved significantly

So if I look at the stats Joey has improved or at worse stayed the same in 2020 from what he provided the Raiders in 2019

Given he came off virtually no pre-season, is living in a new city with his family struggling then I'd say the signing has delviered all we could expect

Thoughts ?

He’s been a dud purchase so far ..very disappointed ☹️
Lucky not to be suspended again from last week ...

Momerosvki is a smarter footballer whom would have performed better for us at a much more reasonable price.

Draws defenders does his job with limited ball. Nofa has benefited greatly from BJ. He gets unfair criticism I think he’s a quality first grader.
Always been a limited defender as he’s massive but with a full offseason this year I think BJ is worth the risk of his signing. With the suspension it hasn’t been great.

Canberra were really good last year. He was in a slick team and was a good contributor. Too hard to tell if he was a good buy or not. Pass for me, but with an asterisk, for that game when his brain exploded.

i dont think he's been that bad minus the stupid coathanger incident but not like that was completely unexpected

When he’s played he’s gone alright. He has his brain farts but he has his brilliance and that’s Joey Leilua.

Certainly one of our best attacking weapons and there’s a reason Nofa is doing so well, Joey attracts defenders and has slick passing.

I think he’s been solid. Not amazing but not poor.

@JoshColeman99 said in [Joey \- 2019 v 2020](/post/1219276) said:
When he’s played he’s gone alright. He has his brain farts but he has his brilliance and that’s Joey Leilua.

Certainly one of our best attacking weapons and there’s a reason Nofa is doing so well, Joey attracts defenders and has slick passing.

I think he’s been solid. Not amazing but not poor.

Pretty much my thoughts. He has been as good for us as he has been the last 4 -5 years.

I think he's gone okay. A lot of the good work he does goes unnoticed. He takes a lot of tough runs and is suprisingly smart inside the opposition 20m zone.

With regards to Nof, one of the reasons he is scoring so many tries is because of BJ. Douiehi is able to throw that cut-out pass to Nof due to the threat BJ poses. Opposition wingers don't want to give him a 10m run to the try line with momentum and a one-on-one, so they jam in. He could genuinely score from that far out.

My biggest worry is the next 2 years. Can we get the same or better input from him?

I think he gets much better next year with a proper off season and hopefully life back to normal and no more bubble.

Would improve further with better service and early ball with space.

Gets the ball standing flat footed too often, so he doesn't get to use his size.

Not sure if it's him or his halves fault but he needs to receive the ball in motion (preferably heading towards the opponent's try line)
I'm sick of seeing him receive the ball standing still and trying to fend off players.
They guy could be the next Mal Meninga.

Also his D is awful.

I dont think he has been good, i also dont think he has been bad. Just bog standard average, so he fits into this team very well. The only real positive with his purchase is now he cant look like a superstar when playing the Tigers like we usually made him look.

THe fact that. Nofa is close to the leading try scorer in the league proves BJ is doing his job. He attracts defenders and that opens up his winger.

Great stats comparison sounds like we have similar apart from the fact the raiders made the GF last year.

The suspension does not help his cause suppose to come back fitter and stronger, one god try that gave us a win against the bulldogs.

I don't think our halves have helped with Marshall continually crabbing across field limits his opportunities combined with Brooks kicking game.

We signed him on a 3 year deal lets see what happens next season with a new spine.

@hobbo1 said in [Joey \- 2019 v 2020](/post/1219093) said:

Needs a full pre season under Madge..

@Tiger5150 said in [Joey \- 2019 v 2020](/post/1219381) said:
Would improve further with better service and early ball with space.

I don't think he's been terrible at all - but agree with this, he does not get any quality ball. We don't use him enough.

I'm much more confident with BJ in the team than not.

@Geo said in [Joey \- 2019 v 2020](/post/1219464) said:
@hobbo1 said in [Joey \- 2019 v 2020](/post/1219093) said:

Needs a full pre season under Madge..

Joey ate all the eggs
Left all the egg shells on the floor ..

Madge went ape ?

Back