Isaiah Papali’i #265

I'm completely fine with this.
He hasn't impressed at all in our colours.

Hope we sign some wepps like Xavier Willison and some legit backs.
Yep, I really wanted to scream Papalii at the tv bcoz it rhymed, but I’ve only done it once!
This is unacceptable.
I’ve already screamed go young bloke about half dozen times when Sam the man Fainu gets the ball.
Sam The Man. 💪
let’s keep him happy instead.

Will be interesting to see paps body shape next year if he is playing on an edge will have to slim down and get some speed back into his legs, I think he will play as a middle for them and will be a good pick up for the panthers.
Have been saying for over 12 months he is too slow for an 80 min edge forward.
If they play him as an edge I’m sure he will have a different body shape next year as well.
If he wanted out there is no way we would be paying any of his freight next year.
Different if we were trying to get him of our books.

Why would it be if he wanted to go?
Perhaps it was the club the initiated the conversation and therefore the player manager has the leverage. Has there ever been a time in recent history where we weren’t paying someone to be elsewhere? It seems standard practice across most clubs these days, particularly the lower ranked ones like us

Reigning premiers Penrith have signed Kiwi international Isaiah Papali’i from wooden-spooners Wests Tigers on a three-year deal from next season.
Just weeks after a failed bid to lure David Fifita to join the Panthers prize-winning pack, Ivan Cleary has struck back with Papali’i to be released from the final year of his lucrative Tigers deal.

Papali’i’s Tigers salary had increased to about $750,000 over the last two years due to ratchet clauses in his contract, but the club granted him permission to explore his options after a meeting between his management and CEO Shane Richardson last month.

Rival clubs were made aware Papali’i, 25, was available from 2025 at last weekend’s Magic Round. His exit has been just 18 months into what was initially a three-year Tigers deal, which he had second thoughts about last season, after his initial rise to prominence at Parramatta.

The Panthers moved swiftly for the 2021 Dally M second-rower of the year, announcing his signing on Thursday morning.

“We’re thrilled to have secured Isaiah’s services for the next three seasons,” Panthers rugby league CEO Matt Cameron said.
Isaiah Papali’i scored a double for the Tigers in Tamworth earlier this month.

Isaiah Papali’i scored a double for the Tigers in Tamworth earlier this month.CREDIT:GETTY

“Not only does Isaiah bring a wealth of experience and leadership capabilities to our club, but he’s also a world-class forward who has proven himself at the highest level.”

Papali’i’s arrival at Penrith comes after the club granted James Fisher-Harris an early release on compassionate grounds to return to New Zealand and the Warriors next season.

With the best part of $1 million to play with, coach Ivan Cleary pursued Titans star Fifita with a $2.5 million, three-year deal with the premiers willing to reshape their forward pack given their varying depth at prop and back row.

The move for Papali’i heralds a similar investment in Penrith’s edges, where Liam Martin already holds status as an elite second-rower on the Panthers right side.

Papali’i’s shift from the Tigers, where he was first signed by Michael Maguire but struggled to replicate his best form under Tim Sheens and then Benji Marshall, heralds the start of a significant roster shake-up at the joint venture.

“This is purely about getting our salary cap in better shape and it’s not a simple thing to do,” Richardson said in a Tigers statement. “Effective salary cap management is so important in this business, and it’s a puzzle you simply must get right if you want to be a successful NRL club.”

Marshall added that he expects Papali’i to see out the rest of 2024 at the Tigers because: “he is a man of high integrity and strong principles, and I know he will continue to live by our standards until he leaves at the end of this season.”

Richardson flew to the UK on Tuesday night scouting potential signings and seeking expressions of interest from Super League clubs for several Tigers players.

Five-eighth Jayden Sullivan, who is set to earn around $600,000 in the final seasons of his four-year deal, centre Brent Naden and veteran back-rower John Bateman are among those the club is willing to offload in a bid to rejuvenate Marshall’s roster.

Papali’i’s release continues the horse-trading between the two western Sydney outfits, with Jarome Luai and Sunia Turuva to join former teammate Api Koroisau at the Tigers next year.
Haha I think I remember Marina Go getting on the front foot stating cleary was a man of integrity to see out his contract. Let the agitations begin.

Will be interesting to see paps body shape next year if he is playing on an edge will have to slim down and get some speed back into his legs, I think he will play as a middle for them and will be a good pick up for the panthers.
Have been saying for over 12 months he is too slow for an 80 min edge forward.
If they play him as an edge I’m sure he will have a different body shape next year as well.
If he wanted out there is no way we would be paying any of his freight next year.
Different if we were trying to get him of our books.
He seemed fast when he came to us.

Irregardless of Isaiah leaving, it is positive the rumour wasn’t leaked to the media.

It’s an improvement, and more business done in the background. This and the Turuva signings are examples.

It’s a good sign the leaks could be finally over.

Yep. I'd prefer we go after Sorenson rather than Garner though. Garner is in the top team and recency bias on his form doesn't guarantee him being consistent for a bottom team. Sorenson rarely has a bad game, is super consistent, an experienced leader and has combinations with players in the team
I don’t want Garner. Think I’ve made that clear haha

Back