Isaiah Papali’i #265

Has anyone got the Sydney Morning Herald article “Why Tigers Are Sending Marquee Man Papali’i to Penrith”?
Reigning premiers Penrith have signed Kiwi international Isaiah Papali’i from wooden-spooners Wests Tigers on a three-year deal from next season.
Just weeks after a failed bid to lure David Fifita to join the Panthers prize-winning pack, Ivan Cleary has struck back with Papali’i to be released from the final year of his lucrative Tigers deal.

Papali’i’s Tigers salary had increased to about $750,000 over the last two years due to ratchet clauses in his contract, but the club granted him permission to explore his options after a meeting between his management and CEO Shane Richardson last month.

Rival clubs were made aware Papali’i, 25, was available from 2025 at last weekend’s Magic Round. His exit has been just 18 months into what was initially a three-year Tigers deal, which he had second thoughts about last season, after his initial rise to prominence at Parramatta.

The Panthers moved swiftly for the 2021 Dally M second-rower of the year, announcing his signing on Thursday morning.

“We’re thrilled to have secured Isaiah’s services for the next three seasons,” Panthers rugby league CEO Matt Cameron said.
Isaiah Papali’i scored a double for the Tigers in Tamworth earlier this month.

Isaiah Papali’i scored a double for the Tigers in Tamworth earlier this month.CREDIT:GETTY

“Not only does Isaiah bring a wealth of experience and leadership capabilities to our club, but he’s also a world-class forward who has proven himself at the highest level.”

Papali’i’s arrival at Penrith comes after the club granted James Fisher-Harris an early release on compassionate grounds to return to New Zealand and the Warriors next season.

With the best part of $1 million to play with, coach Ivan Cleary pursued Titans star Fifita with a $2.5 million, three-year deal with the premiers willing to reshape their forward pack given their varying depth at prop and back row.

The move for Papali’i heralds a similar investment in Penrith’s edges, where Liam Martin already holds status as an elite second-rower on the Panthers right side.

Papali’i’s shift from the Tigers, where he was first signed by Michael Maguire but struggled to replicate his best form under Tim Sheens and then Benji Marshall, heralds the start of a significant roster shake-up at the joint venture.

“This is purely about getting our salary cap in better shape and it’s not a simple thing to do,” Richardson said in a Tigers statement. “Effective salary cap management is so important in this business, and it’s a puzzle you simply must get right if you want to be a successful NRL club.”

Marshall added that he expects Papali’i to see out the rest of 2024 at the Tigers because: “he is a man of high integrity and strong principles, and I know he will continue to live by our standards until he leaves at the end of this season.”

Richardson flew to the UK on Tuesday night scouting potential signings and seeking expressions of interest from Super League clubs for several Tigers players.

Five-eighth Jayden Sullivan, who is set to earn around $600,000 in the final seasons of his four-year deal, centre Brent Naden and veteran back-rower John Bateman are among those the club is willing to offload in a bid to rejuvenate Marshall’s roster.

Papali’i’s release continues the horse-trading between the two western Sydney outfits, with Jarome Luai and Sunia Turuva to join former teammate Api Koroisau at the Tigers next year.

Reactions: BZN
Never heard of him , can u provide some details thanks

Me neither mate lol. Hard headed middle, better off
playing where papali'i did and runs better lines is
what I gather. Good opportunity if it comes 2 fruition.
Him and Samuela Fainu on both edges would b cool

He said, she said. He was the most destructive forward in the game when he went to Parra. So if what you say is true, maybe the Warriors were the problem.
He was not a bum's hair of being the most "destructive forward in the game", he was bog average and only excelled at Parra because he had superstar forwards around him and a half combo who would have made Seyfarth look like an origin forward.

He was not a bum's hair of being the most "destructive forward in the game", he was bog average and only excelled at Parra because he had superstar forwards around him and a half combo who would have made Seyfarth look like an origin forward.
Agreed. Papali’i has been Adam Blair Mk2. Pathetic.

And he's the worst kind of trash.
He's trash with size and a physique that makes you think he's gonna be a wrecking ball.
Then the game starts.

• Wow
I've watched every game of every team.
Not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion then. Was outstanding against KR over the weekend and had been building to that performance for a few weeks.
My understanding is that he’s signed at Wigan until 2027 but does have that NRL release clause.
Although, I wouldn’t be looking to him as someone that can come over and make an impact in first grade immediately. Would need some time in cup but I’d assume Richo would be looking for a more ready-made replacement.
Any players you’d suggest from over there?

Back