Is Vegas V'Landys undoing?

Was Vegas really the success they want us to believe?

of the 40,000 who attended the game over 20,000 were from Australia and the U.K.

tickets were given away on the Vegas strip to anyone who would take one.

it cost the NRL a bomb to get this off the ground.

PVL said the measure to success was how many Yanks would watch the game on Fox in the US.

well the US tv ratings are in…

despite a big lead in audience from the basketball game that preceded the First NRL game , only 60,000 yanks watched the first game and only 40,000 watched the 2nd game.

so, 100,000 Yanks tuned out after the Basketball game, and a further 20,000 tuned out after the first NRL game, despite being in prime time…

only 60,000 Yanks tuned into game 1, taking population numbers into account, that’s equivalent to 7,300 Aussie's tuning into Fox league to watch an NRL game….Big fail!!!

im not surprised…waste of money

Always find it interesting when people quote numbers.

If anyone thought we would be a success year 1 let alone year 5 is dreaming it will take a good 10-20yrs of consistent investment to have a crack at turning things around financially. Playing 1 day a year for a sport that they have no idea about is hardly going to make a dent. They need to get a local investor to buy into the game much like what happened with the MLS boom.

40k in Australia is a good crowd, getting that in another country isn’t a negative. They give tickets away locally all the time heck some of the teams that played struggle on a good day to get half that crowd. They give tickets away to world cups, Olympics & even NBA games. Breaking it down to Aussie/UK etc is irrelevant you don’t see that get broken down for Magic Round or other sports events…..

Viewership is the concern and how that translates into Betting and Subscriptions, but you get what you pay for. They went with Fox Sports which has a low subscription base. Heck the 1st 10mins of game one was on Fox Sports 2 then flipped over to Fox Sports 1 so viewers on FS1 missed the opening 10mins. They didn’t pay for prime time or have leverage to make moves here they went budget route and it shows with results.

It will be interesting as to if the betting market deals happen & what the growth in watch nrl subscriptions will be - that’s where the money is not in ticket sales or Fox Sports viewers.

If they get 10k subscribers on watchnrl its $2.5m inbound, if they get 60k it’s 15m, 100k it’s $25m, 1m it’s 250m a season (I doubt they will get 10k in 5yrs).

If they get .5% of the betting market it’s roughly $48m minimum a year, 1% close to $100m a year.

Those 2 are the market plays.

On the flip side Fox Sports AU coverage numbers showed the opening games were the most watched Fox Sports AU games according to guys on NRL 360 (haven’t seen the formal numbers).

In 2 nba games yesterday I watched the commentary mentioned players making a rugby tackle when coming together in the game - referring to the weekend - 1 game they said these guys aren’t brutal and would get spanked (referring to league so we have an identity issue already). The point is that an impression be it small was made which found that interesting.

Time will tell if it’s a waste of money, I don’t see how it can be a success but I also won’t write it off right now. With all good investments you need to spend money to make money. Stick to the plan and evaluate at the junction point - which is in 5yrs by the sounds of things.

If anyone thought we would be a success year 1 let alone year 5 is dreaming it will take a good 10-20yrs of consistent investment to have a crack at turning things around financially. Playing 1 day a year for a sport that they have no idea about is hardly going to make a dent. They need to get a local investor to buy into the game much like what happened with the MLS boom.

40k in Australia is a good crowd, getting that in another country isn’t a negative. They give tickets away locally all the time heck some of the teams that played struggle on a good day to get half that crowd. They give tickets away to world cups, Olympics & even NBA games. Breaking it down to Aussie/UK etc is irrelevant you don’t see that get broken down for Magic Round or other sports events…..

Viewership is the concern and how that translates into Betting and Subscriptions, but you get what you pay for. They went with Fox Sports which has a low subscription base. Heck the 1st 10mins of game one was on Fox Sports 2 then flipped over to Fox Sports 1 so viewers on FS1 missed the opening 10mins. They didn’t pay for prime time or have leverage to make moves here they went budget route and it shows with results.

It will be interesting as to if the betting market deals happen & what the growth in watch nrl subscriptions will be - that’s where the money is not in ticket sales or Fox Sports viewers.

If they get 10k subscribers on watchnrl its $2.5m inbound, if they get 60k it’s 15m, 100k it’s $25m, 1m it’s 250m a season (I doubt they will get 10k in 5yrs).

If they get .5% of the betting market it’s roughly $48m minimum a year, 1% close to $100m a year.

On the flip side Fox Sports AU coverage numbers showed the opening games were the most watched Fox Sports AU games according to guys on NRL 360 (haven’t seen the formal numbers).

In 2 nba games yesterday I watched the commentary mentioned players making a rugby tackle when coming together in the game - referring to the weekend - 1 game they said these guys aren’t brutal and would get spanked (referring to league so we have an identity issue already). The point is that an impression be it small was made which found that interesting.

Time will tell if it’s a waste of money, I don’t see how it can be a success but I also won’t write it off right now. With all good investments you need to spend money to make money. Stick to the plan and evaluate at the junction point - which is in 5yrs by the sounds of things.
Like our beloved team inflating membership numbers.

If you measure success by it's impact on the Australian market then it was a huge success. The buzz it created around the start to the season is unprecedented.
I can't see the Yanks ever giving a rats about the game but I can see it being a yearly event for Aussies who'll pack the stadium.
I'm sure the AFL would right now be working on some way of copying it.

Let’s see if they can back it up next year. Massive hype this year that I think will drop off a bit each year. Although you can’t put a dollar value on the publicity it generatef

To give it the slightest possibility of working you need to persevere not just over the 5 year term which it currently is but about 15-20 years at the minimum.I am not saying that it will work but time is the best chance of getting somewhere and maybe a test match or two against the kiwis during that time unless the poms can lift their game to be decent opposition

And an American team vs a NSW cup team as the opening game…
That’s not a bad idea - would give the US viewers some more interest in the game. They’re very patriotic. When they see how good our teams are comparatively it will give them something to aim for and maybe improve the quality and investment in their own teams/competition.

of the 40,000 who attended the game over 20,000 were from Australia and the U.K.

PVL said the measure to success was how many Yanks would watch the game on Fox in the US.

despite a big lead in audience from the basketball game that preceded the First NRL game , only 60,000 yanks watched the first game and only 40,000 watched the 2nd game.

so, 100,000 Yanks tuned out after the Basketball game, and a further 20,000 tuned out after the first NRL game, despite being in prime time…

only 60,000 Yanks tuned into game 1, taking population numbers into account, that’s equivalent to 7,300 Aussie's tuning into Fox league to watch an NRL game….Big fail!!!

The US tv market is fragmented. Often sports play on different channels and streaming services. There is no ”home channel" for a sport.

Half of them don't know which channel any game is playing on. Streaming subscriptions will be the real measure after 5 years.

60,000 on TV isn't bad considering the time difference on the east coast and the minimal marketing done in all states. We have not reached a fraction of the 350 million people in the US. I'm starting to see Amercian youtubers talking about it...over time the swell will grow.

Expectations need to be adjusted if we thought everyone was going to tune in to a game nobody had ever heard of.

You understand

Wow... you give up quick... Not much grit there.
This is year one of a much bigger picture
Give it a go don't.be so quick to quit

Back