Big 3

boonboon

So i look at our club and the other clubs and what we lack is quality at the real top end.

Our 3 highest paid players are Mbye, Brooks, Packer and at the start of the season it was Josh Reynolds

If I compare this to the top 3 in almost every other club then this is really where we fall over.

I would almost go as far to say that if we swapped the top 3 players at every club outside the bottom 4 we would be a top 8 team.

Look at what happened to Manly when Tommy T came back. If we swapped our 3 highest paid for Tom and Jake and DCE or swapped them for Taumalolo, Val Holmes and Micheal Morgan pre injury we would be a top 8 team let alone if we swapped with top 4 clubs - if we swapped our too 3 for Teddy, Keary and Chrichton or Cleary, Kikau and Crichton or Latrell, Murray, Cody W or Munster, Paps, Bromwich/Grant at the storm

What we really need is not a slightly better this or that or but too focus on buying 3 top class players. Now we might not get 3 in one offseason but find the first one as they tried to do with Latrell and JAC we need to find some genuine test level players even if we need to pay signifcant overs for the first one but make it a genuine star.

I actually think we have made good moves in buying some exceptional young players who might well turn into top 3 level players - Laurie, Douehi, Blore, Stefano, Simpkins all have that potential but we need to bring in a top 3 player.

We have gaps in our outside backs , half back and lock so lets aim for one in each of those.

Mayby Hastings is it at halfback so lets find a star outside back and a star lock. I understand why Madge would look at Sam Burgess because he might be that for 18 months and he would set standards on tje field and training paddock although perhap not in life.

Interested in peoples thoughts

@boonboon said in [Big 3](/post/1358096) said:
So i look at our club and the other clubs and what we lack is quality at the real top end.

Our 3 highest paid players are Mbye, Brooks, Packer and at the start of the season it was Josh Reynolds

If I compare this to the top 3 in almost every other club then this is really where we fall over.

I would almost go as far to say that if we swapped the top 3 players at every club outside the bottom 4 we would be a top 8 team.

Look at what happened to Manly when Tommy T came back. If we swapped our 3 highest paid for Tom and Jake and DCE or swapped them for Taumalolo, Val Holmes and Micheal Morgan pre injury we would be a top 8 team let alone if we swapped with top 4 clubs - if we swapped our too 3 for Teddy, Keary and Chrichton or Cleary, Kikau and Crichton or Latrell, Murray, Cody W or Munster, Paps, Bromwich/Grant at the storm

What we really need is not a slightly better this or that or but too focus on buying 3 top class players. Now we might not get 3 in one offseason but find the first one as they tried to do with Latrell and JAC we need to find some genuine test level players even if we need to pay signifcant overs for the first one but make it a genuine star.

I actually think we have made good moves in buying some exceptional young players who might well turn into top 3 level players - Laurie, Douehi, Blore, Stefano, Simpkins all have that potential but we need to bring in a top 3 player.

We have gaps in our outside backs , half back and lock so lets aim for one in each of those.

Mayby Hastings is it at halfback so lets find a star outside back and a star lock. I understand why Madge would look at Sam Burgess because he might be that for 18 months and he would set standards on tje field and training paddock although perhap not in life.

Absolutely spot on. Too much money tied up in the top three that are not delivering what they are getting paid. One, Packer, will definitely be gone for 2022. Hopefully we can offload Mbye as well, without paying huge freight. Brooks has until the end of the year IMO, otherwise he can be shopped around as well. That would free up the top 3 money spots for better value players.

Good Post but dont want to be negative but we simply have not have had a Big 3 in many years and to be honest it will be years away.
Your right with our top 3 earners and how poor they are or have been.
We cant recruit big names and wont be able to unfortunately till we have a winning team.
I like playing the kids and see how they go, who knows in a few years the big 3 could well be Laurie, Douhie and Simpkins lets hope we keep them

You are correct but I can't see us buying 3 top tier players let alone one. I can definitely see us developing 3 top tier players.

How often do the top clubs buy top tier talent. We lost a top tier player to the Rorters. Latrell signed with Souths. There were character issues in why these players moved club as well.

Having a look around if i was looking at next year

1. Sign Brandon Smith or Josh Hodgson both who look like they might come available. Simpkins only 19 it qill do him the world of good to play 20 mins each week behind either.

2. Sign one of Sua, Tapine, Toby Rudolph, Nathan Brown or even Teviat Pangai Jnr to add a quality forward to the pack - beggars cant be choosers and all are origin quality or will be

3. Im assuming Hastings moves into Halfback next year but if not go hard for Shaun Johnson or Mitchell Moses (i know but sick of loosing so lets pick talent).

4. We need an outside back although i do feel we have lots of potential coming through the juniors here and their isnt much left in the market but a quality winger - DWZ, Corey Oates type

Aim for 3 or 4 of those depending on hastings and make sure given the cash qe have that we get 2 at least

We have 700k left this yr we can front pay to save it next yr, all of Packers Money, half of Mbyes prob and whatever we can offload Brooks for. That gets you 2 or 3 quality players

@boonboon said in [Big 3](/post/1358158) said:

1. Sign Brandon Smith or Josh Hodgson both who look like they might come available. Simpkins only 19 it qill do him the world of good to play 20 mins each week behind either.

2. Sign one of Sua, Tapine, Toby Rudolph, Nathan Brown or even Teviat Pangai Jnr to add a quality forward to the pack - beggars cant be choosers and all are origin quality or will be

3. Im assuming Hastings moves into Halfback next year but if not go hard for Shaun Johnson or Mitchell Moses (i know but sick of loosing so lets pick talent).

4. We need an outside back although i do feel we have lots of potential coming through the juniors here and their isnt much left in the market but a quality winger - DWZ, Corey Oates type

Aim for 3 or 4 of those depending on hastings and make sure given the cash qe have that we get 2 at least

We have 700k left this yr we can front pay to save it next yr, all of Packers Money, half of Mbyes prob and whatever we can offload Brooks for. That gets you 2 or 3 quality players

So let's buy 1 or 2 right now, for 2022.

We know the playing roster we have now is nowhere near good enough, we know we need to but players, and we do have cash right now for 2022, so whwre are the signings? Hastings? He may be great who knows, but even if he is, we need much more.

That's what Madge/Hartigan/Wests Tigers need to do, right now.

Agree mate..

Been saying for a while we need to spend big on the 1st top line player and others will follow but unfortunately no one wants to come here.
What annoys me is we missed JAC and he is now recruiting other players like B Smith and you know they will follow.. Our so called top 3 are useless and no one would want to play with them.
We will clearly have money and it blows my mind how we have not looked at Reynolds from Souths as he wants to stay in Sydney and understands Madge. You get him and try and get Smith to play Lock and that alone would change our team to a winning team. Smith gives 1000% every game and that's what we are missing.
I would absolutely love to watch Adam D outside Reynolds as he can control the game and AD does his thing like Walker at Souths..

I know we are building from the ground up and and have a lot of top line juniors but we need to bite the bullet and pay overs for a top player and not let past bad decisions cost us the future... Look at what Tommy T has done for Manly...

@boonboon said in [Big 3](/post/1358158) said:

Why didn’t we throw everything at the likes of Reece Walsh and Sam Walker? I think you need to identify them young and develop them rather than spend millions right off the bat. The Titans big 3 of Fafita, Tino and Taylor look good on paper but the team is struggling.

I'd think any recruitment decision starts at wanting to fill a specific position that they feel is lacking within the roster.
A question of matching needs and availability.
Timing is everything.
Hindsight's a killer.

We have had our hands tied for years as far as money goes,thank previous recruitment for that...
you cant keep buying premierships,it may happen once or twice ala Roorters and Nick,but there is another 15 clubs who cant and we are one of them,this is why I cant stand people bagging Madge for our poor performances with what we have ATM...he is building from within,as the Panthers have been doing thats why he was keen on developing the junior pathways...
we will develop our own marquee players,its just that most people dont have the patients to wait and get behind what they are doing to make this a far better club than what others have failed to do..

@truetiger said in [Big 3](/post/1358233) said:
We have had our hands tied for years as far as money goes,thank previous recruitment for that...
you cant keep buying premierships,it may happen once or twice ala Roorters and Nick,but there is another 15 clubs who cant and we are one of them,this is why I cant stand people bagging Madge for our poor performances with what we have ATM...he is building from within,as the Panthers have been doing thats why he was keen on developing the junior pathways...
we will develop our own marquee players,its just that most people dont have the patients to wait and get behind what they are doing to make this a far better club than what others have failed to do..

That's all well and good but when did we start?

@truetiger said in [Big 3](/post/1358233) said:

@hsvjones said in [Big 3](/post/1358178) said:

Agree mate..

Been saying for a while we need to spend big on the 1st top line player and others will follow but unfortunately no one wants to come here.
What annoys me is we missed JAC and he is now recruiting other players like B Smith and you know they will follow.. Our so called top 3 are useless and no one would want to play with them.
We will clearly have money and it blows my mind how we have not looked at Reynolds from Souths as he wants to stay in Sydney and understands Madge. You get him and try and get Smith to play Lock and that alone would change our team to a winning team. Smith gives 1000% every game and that's what we are missing.
I would absolutely love to watch Adam D outside Reynolds as he can control the game and AD does his thing like Walker at Souths..

I know we are building from the ground up and and have a lot of top line juniors but we need to bite the bullet and pay overs for a top player and not let past bad decisions cost us the future... Look at what Tommy T has done for Manly...

It’s been mentioned several times that Madge thinks reynolds is soft. Reynolds one of the key figures who was the reason Madge got the boot at Souths.

No chance he’s coming here! He wouldn’t be effective with us anyways, if anything leak more points in defence since our backrowers don’t protect the half

@mike said in [Big 3](/post/1358099) said:

Absolutely spot on. Too much money tied up in the top three that are not delivering what they are getting paid. One, Packer, will definitely be gone for 2022. Hopefully we can offload Mbye as well, without paying huge freight. Brooks has until the end of the year IMO, otherwise he can be shopped around as well. That would free up the top 3 money spots for better value players.

I'd suggest the coach is on borrowed time. Blame the players all you want but the extremely poor defence rests with the coach. You want stability, I want our team to improve and we're not getting that under Maguire. No player of note will come here with Maguire as coach.

@tigerblood93 said in [Big 3](/post/1358450) said:
@hsvjones said in [Big 3](/post/1358178) said:

Agree mate..

It’s been mentioned several times that Madge thinks reynolds is soft. Reynolds one of the key figures who was the reason Madge got the boot at Souths.

No chance he’s coming here! He wouldn’t be effective with us anyways, if anything leak more points in defence since our backrowers don’t protect the half

Reynolds soft? I wouldn't have thought that of Reynolds or Burgess. The Broncos are apparently considering his request for a 4 year contract.

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Big 3](/post/1358459) said:

I'd suggest the coach is on borrowed time. Blame the players all you want but the extremely poor defence rests with the coach. You want stability, I want our team to improve and we're not getting that under Maguire. No player of note will come here with Maguire as coach.

The players are the ones on the field not the coach. It’s the players that are the problem with a number of them that won’t be here next year.

@mike said in [Big 3](/post/1358465) said:

The players are the ones on the field not the coach. It’s the players that are the problem with a number of them that won’t be here next year.

I have no doubt some players are defensively weak. But it is the coach who is responsible for improving the defence. He has not done so and our play has regressed. You cannot continue to excuse him.

Doueihi is a fine player but defensively a weak link. He is not a rookie. What do you do with him? He appears not to want to improve.

No player of note will come here with Maguire as coach

No player of note came here before, they where just paid as if they are an elite player.At least Madge is trying to build from the ground up,everyone before him was just putting marzipan on dog droppings

@pawsandclaws1 said in [Big 3](/post/1358466) said:
@mike said in [Big 3](/post/1358465) said:

I have no doubt some players are defensively weak. But it is the coach who is responsible for improving the defence. He has not done so and our play has regressed. You cannot continue to excuse him.

Doueihi is a fine player but defensively a weak link. He is not a rookie. What do you do with him? He appears not to want to improve.

How does Doueihi appear to not want to improve exactly?

You cannot continue to excuse the players that won’t put in.

Back