6th in Attack and 14th in Defence

boonboon

Well with 1 round remaining we sit in 10th but will prob finish 11th given the 2 teams below us play each other.

Our attack has us up at number 6 but our defence is 14th better then only the Cowboys and Broncos in points conceded. Yep even the Dogs have let in less points then us.

So for all the talk about fast wingers coming in or which half plays with which my question is what do we do to improve our defence next year.

We have scored more then 20 points and lost against - Knights, Titans, Warriors, Souths and Storm and almost did it against Manly and Dogs where we just scraped home in high scoring games.

Obviously Benji going will help our defence, bringing Tamou will help our defence and replacing Webster with a new defence coach assisting will help but other then spending the whole off season on defence what other tactical improvements do we need

All attitude for me. I imagine the situation some of the old heads aren't happy with how madge is dealing with things (eg. dropping for form).
In the past they throw the toys out of the cot and coach gets sacked.

Feel its gonna take time to move all these on, the rest AD, LL etc appear onboard

We need more players doing effort on effort, in defence. It's the strarkest thing about having Harry in the team.

Harry keeps showing up, is high energy, and consistant all 80 mins.

Most of the WT players might make a tackle but then lie on the ground during the ruck and then when they are tied, they through a lazy arm out or don't make an effort to get in position.

Not sure if it's a fitness thing, attitude, or character. But we need more desperate players who bust their gut for 80.

Hopefully Harry showed them where they need to get to.

Every single guy playing in the NRL can tackle.
Of course some a lot better than others.its all attitude,someone comes out of the line and jams someone!eveyone gets pumped and keeps trying to replicate it for the whole set.
Most teams do it ,we haven’t been for a while.
Sorry for my negativity towards the boys but I really haven’t enjoyed watching the boys past few months

It starts with the forwards. The ease with which the Storm and Manly (for example) rolled up our middle was alarming/embarrassing.

Gould said that we were short 4/5 NRL quality forwards. I agree. Signing Tamou is a start but it's not enough.

Our pack is poor and until we significantly upgrade our forwards we are going nowhere.

If defense is attitude, we have the third worst attitude in the comp. Who's taking the blame for that and put their hand up.

@Aceshigh said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235633) said:
Brooks kicking game needs big improvements

This has alot to do with where we are... We spend alot of energy getting off our goal line most sets, we lose the field position most games, our forwards are returning further than we make other teams, to get onside.

It would almost be worth testing getting brooks to kick it dead in goal for sets of 7 all game, rather than ineffective bombs landing 20m+ out we arent effectively contesting. I would almost bet we would concede less metres.

@boonboon said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235630) said:
Well with 1 round remaining we sit in 10th but will prob finish 11th given the 2 teams below us play each other.

Our attack has us up at number 6 but our defence is 14th better then only the Cowboys and Broncos in points conceded. Yep even the Dogs have let in less points then us.

So for all the talk about fast wingers coming in or which half plays with which my question is what do we do to improve our defence next year.

We have scored more then 20 points and lost against - Knights, Titans, Warriors, Souths and Storm and almost did it against Manly and Dogs where we just scraped home in high scoring games.

Obviously Benji going will help our defence, bringing Tamou will help our defence and replacing Webster with a new defence coach assisting will help but other then spending the whole off season on defence what other tactical improvements do we need

Wow - this really tells a story. I have often thought our attack is worthy of a Top 8 finish, but we let in way too many easy tries. In some games this year the opposition simply had to throw the ball across our edges and our players misreads rewarded them with tries.

@frullens said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235640) said:
We need more players doing effort on effort, in defence. It's the strarkest thing about having Harry in the team.

Harry keeps showing up, is high energy, and consistant all 80 mins.

Most of the WT players might make a tackle but then lie on the ground during the ruck and then when they are tied, they through a lazy arm out or don't make an effort to get in position.

Not sure if it's a fitness thing, attitude, or character. But we need more desperate players who bust their gut for 80.

Hopefully Harry showed them where they need to get to.

Great point about effort on effort. I really think this is the key. The high placed teams do this as an expectation - as shown by the efforts of Harry.

@izotope said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235631) said:
All attitude for me. I imagine the situation some of the old heads aren't happy with how madge is dealing with things (eg. dropping for form).

Feel its gonna take time to move all these on, the rest AD, LL etc appear onboard

I agree, defence is an attitude. Penrith played poorly in 2019, but all they did was make a couple of signings and bam, look at them this year. New attitude, renewed focus and they're going to be hard to stop from winning the comp.

We don't have a premiership winning team yet, but I reckon there's enough talent littered throughout that with a couple of smart signings, we should be able to improve our defence noticeably.

Well with 1 round remaining we sit in **10th but will prob finish 11th** given the 2 teams below us play each other.

At least its not 9th, half glass full and all that

@willow said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235711) said:

I agree, defence is an attitude. Penrith played poorly in 2019, but all they did was make a couple of signings and bam, look at them this year. New attitude, renewed focus and they're going to be hard to stop from winning the comp.

We don't have a premiership winning team yet, but I reckon there's enough talent littered throughout that with a couple of smart signings, we should be able to improve our defence noticeably.

the tigers side we saw after the gc game with a new 5/8 and fullback we would be close to 6th-7th
what i want to know is who was the person that decided it was a good idea to turn us into the tigers 05 again and put benji back out there

@Joelcainenumber1fan said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235752) said:

the tigers side we saw after the gc game with a new 5/8 and fullback we would be close to 6th-7th
what i want to know is who was the person that decided it was a good idea to turn us into the tigers 05 again and put benji back out there

The playing group decided

@Speed2burn said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235756) said:
@Joelcainenumber1fan said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235752) said:

The god damned playing group again.

@Kazoo-Kid said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235765) said:
@Speed2burn said in [6th in Attack and 14th in Defence](/post/1235756) said:

The god damned playing group again.

Was sarcasm but yeah lol

Its all attitude at that level. They know how to tackle, run, catch and pass by the time they play first grade. Nothing makes up for the lack of heart or respect for the jersey. They drop their shoulders and hands on hips as soon as something goes against them and its all over in the first 5mins. No steel in the team. Hopefully Tamou can add that. When was the last time you saw a guy blowing up deluxe when an error was made or the team needs a rev up. Never happens, they need more mongrel, and fluff piece articles about Lucy giving the Rick Flair hoot on the field doesnt cut it.

"Our attack has us up at number 6 but our defence is 14th better then only the Cowboys and Broncos"

I think this says a lot. Considering Brooks has been a little quiet, he has let Marshall and Grant do most of the talking.
Remember that guy Matterson, look we should have let him go. But he is a bit of an Energizer bunny.
We need a few tackle machines and an actual defensive plan. Our defensive coach needs to go.

Back