2005-2014 a special time for rugby league

Disagree completely. 2006-14 was really the era of the wrestle. Probably the hardest watching era of the lot.
For me the winfield cup era. So good that 2 media mogels tore apart the game just to show it.
And once one of them got the spoils Fox had every interest to showcase a fast exciting game on a level playing field hence the speed and competitiveness of the competition between 2000 to 2006.

And to try a heal the wounds.

Fur me it was the mid 60s to mid 70s with the intoduction of 4 tackle and then 6 tackle football compared to the boring unlimited variety

Watching the Green Machine and Brisbane Broncos in the 1989 - 1994 period.

Loved watching Centres play on the same side and teams playing attacking style football.

Skilful players like Stuart, Daly, Langer, Walters, The Pearl, Mullens, Clyde, etc

I grew up a Magpies fan but love watching Brett Kenny who I can not believe is not mentioned as a future immortal. Gun player who I also wanted to see wearing black and white.

Watching the Green Machine and Brisbane Broncos in the 1989 - 1994 period.

Loved watching Centres play on the same side and teams playing attacking style football.

Skilful players like Stuart, Daly, Langer, Walters, The Pearl, Mullens, Clyde, etc

I grew up a Magpies fan but love watching Brett Kenny who I can not believe is not mentioned as a future immortal. Gun player who I also wanted to see wearing black and white.

I agree with you about Kenny he was a brilliant player and often it was something special from him which would beat the mighty Tigers.One of my alltime favourite players

I have only been following League for about 15 years but in that time I feel there have been 3 dynasties: Storm, Roosters and Manly.

Of those, the Manly one to me has no asterisk next to it. The Roosters one was full of players they have bought in, all Superstars. Melbourne's had an * next to them until Cam retired IMO.

Manly out of all, have had about 3 grand final wins And 5 grand finals during Des' first stint there. During a time of wrestle and second man plays only, Manly won each game through brute strength. They just wanted it a lot more than everyone else. One of the toughest teams I've seen.

In terms of singular years, the 2009 performance by the man who shouldn't be named is the best individual performance over a whole year. They literally changed it to the 7 tackle rule because teams were kicking the ball out because they didn't want him to carry it back. Idk if there has ever been a rule changed because of one man.

Lastly the Cowboys performance of 2017? To get to the grand final without your two co-captains is a huge achievement. And they had this "got nothing to loose" mentality. They never lied down in tackles, never gave away deliberate penalties, never tried to run out the clock. They just played each play as it came. I was obsessed with re-watching their games in that series.

I have only been following League for about 15 years but in that time I feel there have been 3 dynasties: Storm, Roosters and Manly.

Of those, the Manly one to me has no asterisk next to it. The Roosters one was full of players they have bought in, all Superstars. Melbourne's had an * next to them until Cam retired IMO.

Manly out of all, have had about 3 grand final wins And 5 grand finals during Des' first stint there. During a time of wrestle and second man plays only, Manly won each game through brute strength. They just wanted it a lot more than everyone else. One of the toughest teams I've seen.

In terms of singular years, the 2009 performance by the man who shouldn't be named is the best individual performance over a whole year. They literally changed it to the 7 tackle rule because teams were kicking the ball out because they didn't want him to carry it back. Idk if there has ever been a rule changed because of one man.

Lastly the Cowboys performance of 2017? To get to the grand final without your two co-captains is a huge achievement. And they had this "got nothing to loose" mentality. They never lied down in tackles, never gave away deliberate penalties, never tried to run out the clock. They just played each play as it came. I was obsessed with re-watching their games in that series.
Our years 2010-2012 had some very special performances with individual brilliance coming up trumps. Always enjoy watching those replays.

We missed a 7 after Prince and a 1 until Moltz came along.. remember a lot of people at the time didn’t like him but was a great style of player (as was Rob Lui)

Barba had a fantastic year in 2012 I think.

Lot of great games against Manly/Melbourne including one I remember that was at Leichhardt first round?

2009 had incredible regular round results and we just missed out to, was it Newcastle?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Back