2005-2014 a special time for rugby league

Lee's fedora

Me and a mate of mine were talking the other days about how much the game has changed and the way players have changed. And no better time frame encapsulated the top tier of nrl than the title for me atleast match ups like Brett 'Snake' Stewart vs Billy 'The kid' Slater. The emergence of GI from a skinny kid at Melbourne to the freak with the fend in 2014. And the duels in the halves that we took for granted Locky vs Benji , Pearce vs Thurston , Carney vs Cronk and the final match up of Joey vs Freddy

the point of this is what is your golden era of rugby league and why ?

Seeing the change in the game from 2005 is huge you can tell around 2008 it really becomes very structured block play out the back one out which is set by Melbourne and it works so well all the other teams adopt it and run hard with it which had stuck around till about 2 years ago

I'm enjoying the emergence of players like Reece Walsh, Jayden Campbell, Selwyn Cobbo and Sam Walker.

Guys that look like they're enjoying themselves and are actually footballers.

It's been a few years of factory made athletes coming through that are not exactly footballers and not overly skill full.

Penrith formula has been really great but they aren't (Bizza aside) very likeable and have too much arrogance to them.

2012 Ben Barba era was good to watch also.

I'm enjoying the emergence of players like Reece Walsh, Jayden Campbell, Selwyn Cobbo and Sam Walker.

Guys that look like they're enjoying themselves and are actually footballers.

It's been a few years of factory made athletes coming through that are not exactly footballers and not overly skill full.

Penrith formula has been really great but they aren't (Bizza aside) very likeable and have too much arrogance to them.

2012 Ben Barba era was good to watch also.
I forgot how good Barba was until i went back and watched those 2012 dogs holy shit he was insane

But we are slowly seeing a new age of footballers that reminds me of 2003 the emerging talents like Campbell and Cobbo coming through pure footballers who all you gotta do is tell them run the ball and the team will follow

I know most don't like him...

But the return of SBW was huge, to me...

One of my all time favourite players.
And seeing the return was unreal.

The rise of the warriors was another thing that was great about the 2010s for rugby league went from an alright team under Matt Elliott who would win games here and there to being a strong side with Flash and taking down big boys under ivan they were never the same after though

I know most don't like him...

But the return of SBW was huge, to me...

One of my all time favourite players.
And seeing the return was unreal.
The return of SBW was so damn good seeing him run back out in the nrl was amazing to witness

But the whole competition was just at a different level we were so spoiled for players who would be awesome to have today imagine Reece Wesser running around today for us would be a game breaker even players who weren't top tier would be top tier today players like Paul bowman would be a top tier player

Last edited:
The return of SBW was so damn good seeing him run back out in the nrl was amazing to witness

But the whole competition was just at a different level we were so spoiled for players who would be awesome to have today imagine Reece Wesser running around today for us would be a game breaker even players who weren't top tier would be top tier today players like Paul bowman would be a top tier player
God. Paul Bowman is a throwback… get a bit of Rauhihi into the pack, was it Steve Southern prop and Payne their hooker?

Sorry guys but I think you have mistaken. An OK time yes, but the golden era, no. It started in 74 and ended in 89 (well for me a least). Mid week footy at Leichardt for the Amco cup and hard footy with a bit of biffo thrown in for fun on the weekends. The birth of Sate of Origin really marked that era and changed footy and the relationship between NSW and QLD.

Sitting on the grassed hills at suburban grounds and watching all three grades. An era when you put your mates and your team before yourself. When you could afford a hot dog and a beer!

Since 1990 or so players started taking dives to milk penalties, clubs became businesses, contracts were no longer worth the paper they were written on and players began to think the game was about them instead of the team.

Oh - and I almost forgot .... Golden Boots calling the footy on the radio - its long enough, its straight enough and its right between the posts!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Sorry guys but I think you have mistaken. An OK time yes, but the golden era, no. It started in 74 and ended in 89 (well for me a least). Mid week footy at Leichardt for the Amco cup and hard footy with a bit of biffo thrown is for fun on the weekends. The birth of Sate of Origin really marked that era and changed footy and the relationship between NSW and QLD.

Sitting on the grassed hills at suburban grounds and watching all three grades. An era when you put your mates and your team before yourself. When you could afford a hot dog and a beer!

Since 1990 or so players started taking dives to milk penalties, clubs became businesses, contracts were no longer worth the paper they were written on and players began to think the game was about them instead of the team.

Oh - and I almost forgot .... Golden Boots calling the footy on the radio - its long enough, its straight enough and its right between the posts!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Great (first, I’m assuming?) post. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry guys but I think you have mistaken. An OK time yes, but the golden era, no. It started in 74 and ended in 89 (well for me a least). Mid week footy at Leichardt for the Amco cup and hard footy with a bit of biffo thrown in for fun on the weekends. The birth of Sate of Origin really marked that era and changed footy and the relationship between NSW and QLD.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Welcome in mate abit before my time but I may have to go into the archives and watch some of the older games

Great (first, I’m assuming?) post. Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the welcome. I have been following the forum for a couple of years but I don't post unless I think I can contribute something positive to the discussion. I like what the forum offers but there is a lot of hot air that surrounding the nuggets of wisdom.

Love the positivity mate. Please keep that flowing throughout your time here, as tough as things may get, you’ll make a great WT supporter !

Members online

Back