12 centre combinations

boonboon

So I looked back on our season and we have had 12 centre combos in 21 games

No centre combination has lasted more then 3 games with Talau/Roberts and Talau/Douehi each having 3 games.

Our most successful combo so far is Chee Kam/Talau with 2 wins over the last 2 weeks

We always talk about defence but you cant set a consistent defence with different players and very different styles of player - Joey, Roberts, Douehi, Talau, Kepoa, Mbye, Chee Kam, Pauga - 8 players making up the 12 combos.

I somewhat think if we had stuck with 1 combo all year although injuries being a problem then we prob would have been in the 8 right now.

What do people think is our best combo for next year

My thoughts at this stage are Talau and Kepoa and we should injury pending just stick with them ?

My other question is if we happen to win the last 3 with Chee Kam/Talau and make the finals do we keep Chee Kam next year as a centre. Obviously he has his limitations but his defence is solid, he runs hard and he has experience ? Thoughts

Centre is a very serious weakness at the moment in current years... backline in general.

With our current expected roster going into next season, it still is a concern.

Talau, Gildart, Kepoa? This is bottom of the barrel, garbage tier type options.

Kepoa had that 1 game where he got struck down injured, not sure he even made it through the first half. He might be rusty when he comes back.

Gildart, unproven and reported he struggles in the super league comp and gets ran over regularly.

Then Talau, who seems to be well liked by the coaching staff and selectors but honestly doesn't and cannot deliver on field.

Then we've got Maumalo who's improving, Laurie who has been great and Nofo who can finish but refuses to run straight.

Massive issues.

I believe if we don't recruit heavily for 2022, we're in for some more trouble. Centre is such an important position on the field. It needs to be addressed, desperately.

I've said it before but just to keep beating the dead horse...

1 Laurie - if he's healthy, he's guaranteed
2 Nofo - he's on contract so he's probably got a mortgage on this wing however if he can be shopped and replaced, he should be. Otherwise I hope he can come good and do his job.
3 Harley Smith-Shields - similar height to Nofo, hard runner and will improve with more time. Could be a star with the right belief behind him at a new club.
4 Zac Lomax - #1 target if the job can be done which is still rumoured to be possible or some one as good, not sure who else?
5 Kennedy Maumalo- smiling, finding his feet and form. Hopeful for a big year next year.

@boonboon said in [12 centre combinations](/post/1446701) said:
So I looked back on our season and we have had 12 centre combos in 21 games

No centre combination has lasted more then 3 games with Talau/Roberts and Talau/Douehi each having 3 games.

Our most successful combo so far is Chee Kam/Talau with 2 wins over the last 2 weeks

We always talk about defence but you cant set a consistent defence with different players and very different styles of player - Joey, Roberts, Douehi, Talau, Kepoa, Mbye, Chee Kam, Pauga - 8 players making up the 12 combos.

I somewhat think if we had stuck with 1 combo all year although injuries being a problem then we prob would have been in the 8 right now.

What do people think is our best combo for next year

My thoughts at this stage are Talau and Kepoa and we should injury pending just stick with them ?

My other question is if we happen to win the last 3 with Chee Kam/Talau and make the finals do we keep Chee Kam next year as a centre. Obviously he has his limitations but his defence is solid, he runs hard and he has experience ? Thoughts

No. He’s been okay against terrible teams. He’s looked less good previously against good teams. Michael Chee Kam is not a long-term centre option. Good coverage guy to have in your squad and he comes up with some plays but he’s average at best as a starter.

I think if it's not working, you have to try other options, this is the NRL after all. I mean IMO it seemed obvious that both JTJ and BJ were not going to give the team what they needed from the get go. Next year we have some good options, with Godart coming and AJ coming back, possibly even AD going there.

If Mbye has gone (nothing on our website), then I think MCK could be looked at as our utility, as he obviously covers forwards and backs?

Maybe because everyone wants someone dropped every odd week and twice on even weeks..

@demps said in [12 centre combinations](/post/1446712) said:
Centre is a very serious weakness at the moment in current years... backline in general.

Kepoa had that 1 game where he got struck down injured, not sure he even made it through the first half. He might be rusty when he comes back.

Gildart, unproven and reported he struggles in the super league comp and gets ran over regularly.

Then Talau, who seems to be well liked by the coaching staff and selectors but honestly doesn't and cannot deliver on field.

Then we've got Maumalo who's improving, Laurie who has been great and Nofo who can finish but refuses to run straight.

Massive issues.

I believe if we don't recruit heavily for 2022, we're in for some more trouble. Centre is such an important position on the field. It needs to be addressed, desperately.

2 Nofo - he's on contract so he's probably got a mortgage on this wing however if he can be shopped and replaced, he should be. Otherwise I hope he can come good and do his job.
3 Harley Smith-Shields - similar height to Nofo, hard runner and will improve with more time. Could be a star with the right belief behind him at a new club.
4 Zac Lomax - #1 target if the job can be done which is still rumoured to be possible or some one as good, not sure who else?
5 Kennedy Maumalo- smiling, finding his feet and form. Hopeful for a big year next year.

Kep, pauga, ogden,talau, gildart, roberts..i would give him another year

@thedaboss said in [12 centre combinations](/post/1447126) said:
@demps said in [12 centre combinations](/post/1446712) said:

Massive issues.

Kep, pauga, ogden,talau, gildart, roberts..i would give him another year

No thanks boss. ?

I wouldn't be writing off Gildart yet.

If anyone is interested in watching him, he and Hastings will have a big test this weekend (early Saturday morning Australian time) against the high flying St Helens.

@tilllindemann said in [12 centre combinations](/post/1447131) said:

If anyone is interested in watching him, he and Hastings will have a big test this weekend (early Saturday morning Australian time) against the high flying St Helens.

@faxtiger keep us updated.
I'm sure Gilly will impress.

@demps said in [12 centre combinations](/post/1447132) said:
@tilllindemann said in [12 centre combinations](/post/1447131) said:

@faxtiger keep us updated.
I'm sure Gilly will impress.

If he doesn't impress I will pretend that he did, to keep spirits high.

Not ideal and you need consistency but centres don't play together.

Would be more interested in seeing centre/wing combinations we have tried this year.

Staff online

Back